Could REALLY use some HELP reMounting CJ7 Body - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Could REALLY use some HELP reMounting CJ7 Body

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-15-2002, 01:13 PM   #1
markpat3

Could REALLY use some HELP reMounting CJ7 Body

Could someone please offer some suggestions on the best way to re-mount the body back to the frame!!

I had to cut most of the bolts because the nuts were spinning up in the body. So I now need to somehow get new bolts in there, or something.

Has anyone had to do this before?
How did you tackle it?

markpat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 01:39 PM   #2
dana60cj

Never have done a body swap but I know what you mean. There are nuts that are welded and some break loose then the bolt rusts to it and they just spin. Woopdee doo, fun stuff! I have cut the nuts and the surround that holds them in the body out and replaced them with a plate with a hole in it, with a nut on the top side. Weld the nut on the top side of the plate. Then weld the entire plate on where it is supposed to go after the body is sitting on the frame. Some spots are tricky and need more space for the bolt to go up in so I added 1/2" angle iron around the plate facing up so that the bolt had space to pass as far as it needed up into the plate. A lot of work, I've only had to do this a couple of times to a few spots on mine. Some body mounts, the ones above the gas tank and the two rear most on the sides, you can use 2" steel channel on to do the same thing.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #3
JeeperTim

Re: Could REALLY use some HELP reMounting CJ7 Body

Quote:
Originally posted by markpat3
Could someone please offer some suggestions on the best way to re-mount the body back to the frame!!

I had to cut most of the bolts because the nuts were spinning up in the body. So I now need to somehow get new bolts in there, or something.

Has anyone had to do this before?
How did you tackle it?
Here is the way I do it and it requires a good amount of fabrication, experience and the right tools. When I restore a CJ, instead of just buying a complete steel tub, I buy all the individual body and floor panels and weld it all together myself. This way I'm insured of a perfect fit and no bad, unsafe welds. The front floor panel has the body mount positions done already with nuts inside the supports, but the rear floor panel does not.

Here is what I do:

I cut slots in the floor supports where they line up with the mounting points on the chassis about 1"x3". (That should allow you to remove the old spinning nuts in your case.)

Next, cut pieces of 1/8" thick steel 1"x4". Drill holes in the 1/8" plates a little bigger than the 3/8" bolts you'll be using. Fit a bolt through the hole, put a nut on the other side and tack weld the nut to the plate. One good tack on each side of the nut is a good idea, but make sure you allow it to cool between tacks otherwise the nut will warp. Remove the bolt and install the new assembly into the floor supports with the welded nut facing AWAY from where the bolt comes in. You're going to have to do a little hammering to get the new plate in there so be patient.

Once it's in there and the body is fitted up and bolted loosely to the chassis, mark where your new welded nut assemblies match up with the holes you cut in the floor support panel. Then tack weld the welded nut assembly to the floor support panel. All that's left is to prime and paint or POR 15 the area you worked on.

The toe supports (the two supports under the firewall) are done a little differently and are much easier. Once you remove the old welded nut assembly, you're pretty much done. Since you have access to those two nuts inside the toe support even when the body is mounted, you can just use a simple nut, bolt and a 2 washers.

Hopefully the 2 rear-most body mount bolts came out without you having to cut them, otherwise I really don't know what to tell you.

I know this all sounds complicated, but it's just about all you can do. I'd be interested if anyone else has any other ideas though.

Jeeper Tim
JeeperTim is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.