Could LED tailights kill my battery? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Could LED tailights kill my battery?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 04-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Could LED tailights kill my battery in 4 hours?

Had a dead battery yesterday, by dead I mean 2.2 volts left.

Nothin that I know of major has changed. However I have had an issue with my brake sticking. I suspect they stayed on and might have Killed my battery. I drive the Jeep at lunch, 4 hours later my battery was at 2.2volts. I would not have thought that the led lights could drain that much.

Is this my issue? Or should I trouble shoot something else? Thanks

wblackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:00 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Even with regulat tail lights, i doubt a good battery will die in 4 hours...
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Sounds to me like a couple of dead cells in the battery. Most places will load test them for free.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the replies, I didn't think that sounded right either. I am not even sure they were on, the battery was so dead they wouldn't even work.

It was so dead I couldn't push it off or jump it. Had a guy walk beside me with a jumper battery hooked up while I pop started it. It struggled that way...but was able to get it going.

I charged it up last night, unplugged this morning. I will see what happens when I get home and try to start it. I am going to test the voltage again before I crank it. I know the alternator is working as once I got it running the system was at 14 volts at idle.
Unread 04-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Could not find multimeter. Thinks its at office as that's where I did my troubleshooting last.

Hooked the battery up to the charger. Indicator needle on the charger is sitting at 6 amps input, and has been for nearly 3 hours.

This was after running the jeep for an hour yesterday with the system at 14v. And charging. it was really low though so it might take a long time to catch up. Just trying to confirm a bad cell. It's looking more and more that is my issue.

Guess ill see what it looks like in the morning.
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #6
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

Is it natural to hear a boiling sound coming from the battery?

Exterior is not hot to touch...
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
roboto65

1976 CJ5 

UHHHH Yeah NO LOL
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
ctorj
1977 CJ7 

That sound is normal as long as it stops when you are done Charging. Most Auto Part stores will load test batteries for you.
ctorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

I have had it checked. Autozone said it was bad on their tester(closer to work). Drive it over to advance where I bought it a year ago, and their tester said it was good. The issue seems to be somewhat intermittent and unpredictable.

Just got to get it to duplicate so I can get a new on warranty...
Unread 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

They should replace it free of charge (no pun intended) if the battery is within its warranty time period. When you get the new battery installed, look at how its mounted. Make sure its sitting on a rubber pad or other energy absorbent pad. Vibration will kill a battery fast.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

I will get a pad or something with the new battery, the problem is they won't give me a new battery because the two times I have had advance test it, it load tests ok.

Last reading pulled was 13.8v with the engine off. I know from experience in another vehicle that sometime when cells start to go, it's unpredictable at first. But eventually the battery consistently shows low voltage and I'll get a new one...thanks for all the replys.
Unread 04-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
lonetrader
1975 CJ5 

You need to check for voltage loss when everything is off. I went thru the same with my diesel Ford truck. They would go down 50% overnight without being hooked up. I went to a repair shop that certified that and had to threaten to sue them. Then they replaced the batteries. Make sure you have good grounds and cables. Replace the cables like Jeep Hammer says to do and all of your electrical will work better and last longer.
lonetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
wblackm
1985 CJ7 

It had to have been my tail lights. I charged the battery. Hooked everything up, let it sit for 2 days without running it. Voltage drop is approx .15 volts per day. That has to be normal or better than. I ran it Saturday, double checked my electric fan to make sure it was not running too long, that was good.

I replaced all cables etc. 3 months ago. New starter, only thing not new is the alternator, and as stated above it is working fine. I could still have a bad cell, but I have not been able to duplicate that low voltage, so if I do, it is very intermittent. I will let you all know if something changes. Thanks for all the input.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.