Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Could this be the float adj.

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BESRK 
#1 ·
I have really been having probs. with my carter carb. Could not get it to idle. I have rebuilt it but still no luck. Ok today i talked to a man who usd to work on these alot and he gave me some direction on how to fix prob. When taking it off i found out that my gasket was torn....vac leak ... fixed it cleand all parts of carb just for good measue and reinstalled it. Ok here is the prob now . At idle i have fuel constantlly dripping down the throat of the carb ....could that be the float adjustment being out of spec....:confused:

#4 ·
this may sound nuts but if you plan on pulling off the carb in the near future,smear chapstick on the base gasket..It will help it seal better and wont let it stick..so it comes off in one peice..

#5 ·
i have exhaused all means that i know to fix this prob. Was told by a mechanic that was carb was worn out. But i talked to a guy today that has worked on carters before at a dealership. He said quote " It is a very frustrating carb to mess with but if ya get it right it is great." Never heard this before but he also told me that when you get it just right it will make a small but very noticable whistle. I had just finished checking my timing and i heard this small beep, thought my timing light was operating.. but it was unplugged........was not a beep but a small little whistle. I just could'nt get it stable because of the dripping. anyway ..thanks for the info... gonna double chck floats tom.

#6 ·
Dripping fuel, I'd check the float level again. Also, if you're fuel filter let any dirt get by, it can imbed in the viton needle tip and keep it from sealing completely. The float bowl will fill up until fuel starts dripping out the venturi. I deal with this from time to time with the Holley on my wife's CJ.. another thing that can happen (though not all that common) is that the old "plastic" floats can absorb gas over a long period of time and actually sink. That lets the fuel level rise to the point of flooding too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.