Could THIS be the culprit? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Could THIS be the culprit?

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LinePoison Spyder JK Evap Skid

Unread 12-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
PostDoc
1971 DJ 

Could THIS be the no turn signal culprit? (DJ5 Wiring)

I'm working on a 1971 DJ5b Postal Jeep. As of now, I have flashers but no turn signals. I am a complete novice, but I checked the switches under the dash by swapping them and they are both good. Took the Spartan signal apart and it looks good inside (mechanically, anyway). I'm not yet any good at tracing wiring, and my schematic reading skills are (ahem) "a bit under developed." I did find this little gal' hanging out by itself under the hood. It looks like it splices in to the wiring for the lights and signals (see the last picture - this is the wiring it ties into leading to the front bulbs). Does anyone know if this could be the break in my turn signal circuit? If not (or if so), where does this connect? I suspect it's back up under the dash, but have no idea.
Thanks for your help...

part-1.jpg   part-2.jpg   part-3.jpg   part-4.jpg  

Last edited by PostDoc; 12-08-2012 at 04:22 AM..
PostDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

On later models, the turn signals and emergency flashers have separate flasher units. Not sure if that applies to your '71 though.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
PostDoc
1971 DJ 

Thanks for the reply. The flasher and turn signal are separate - they are the units I swapped to test since the hazards are working. Both are good, so I'm assuming I've got a problem in the grounding or circuit. I'm just curious if it might be as simple as finding the mate for this unpaired connector, but where it mates is a complete mystery to me.
Unread 12-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Do the brake lights work?
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
PostDoc
1971 DJ 

Yes. Brake lights and parking, running and head lights are fine. No reverse lights, though. Seems they are tied in to the neutral safety switch controller on the auto trans. - lower on the priority list than the turn signals.
Unread 12-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
johnlaw484
1975 CJ5 

I have found through experience when dealing with DC electrical that 90% of problem are related to grounding being corroded. I would further make sure fire/electric current is coming into the switch and on the other side make sure it's coming out.
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Brake lights work, thats one part of the circuit, do the turn signals come on and not flash or not come on at all?
You have checked the fuse?
is there power to one side of the flasher?
need to find out if power is making it to the turn signal switch, if it is, is it getting passed the switch?
Grounds are suspect, but I am getting that power is not making it to the turn signal switch or the switch is bad if it is,,,,
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #8
PostDoc
1971 DJ 

Signals do not come on at all (unless in hazard mode)
I'll try these recommendations. Thanks.
1. check for power to turn signal flasher switch. If no, check grounds/fuse.
if yes,
2. check power from switch to signal controller. If no, check contacts , wires ad ground
if yes, likely a bad signal controller
3. check all grounds
Any ideas on that female connector under the hood?
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

I could be wrong, but that connector you're asking about looks like a horn plug to me. Do you have a horn?
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
MoC
Web Wheeler

1986 CJ7 

Not sure about the DJ, but on a CJ the horn plug has only one wire.
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
scoutboater

1974 CJ5 

Oh, ok... I guess that was changed before the harness melted then. Whats left of mine looks like it had two wires.
scoutboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
auburnhunter
2006 LJ Wrangler 

^What johnlaw484 said. I cannot tell you how many mysterious electrical conundrums have been revealed to be grounding issues.
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
PostDoc
1971 DJ 

Thanks all. It's fixed!
I traced the short to a wire break under the dash. A PO had gone crazy under there with electrical tape, so it took some time to find with the test light. Fortunately, all the grounds are in place and the signal controller is good. I can now stop using hand signals (which other drivers tended not to see, since they were coming from the "passenger side").
I also have a hunch that the mystery terminal connector may mate with a long-removed pump/washer fluid reservoir combo. Would that make sense?
Next up: brakes.
heep-dj5b.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.