Correct way to set up fuel filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Correct way to set up fuel filter

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #1
monomoy4
1979 CJ7 

Correct way to set up fuel filter

I'm about to replace the fuel filter on my '79 CJ7. Am I correct in thinking that whoever set it up before did it incorrectly? the filter to vapor canister outlet is below the filter to carb. from what I've read on this forum, the vapor tube should be at the top with cab outlet at the bottom. could this set up lead to the gas smell I have in the garage??

monomoy4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:11 AM   #2
monomoy4
1979 CJ7 

there's supposed to be a pic...hold on...
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #3
monomoy4
1979 CJ7 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4778289...n/photostream/
Unread 06-12-2011, 02:50 AM   #4
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

And lo and behold the picture has it incorrectly mounted, sod's law. It is almost there but not quite correct.

If this is the fuel filter next to the carburettor you are enquiring about there are a number of Tubes (metal fuel pipes in Jeep speak) and the only Hoses are short sections next to the filter. These are a service item that should come with a new filter and be changed at the same time. If you have long lengths of Hose consider buying some Tube, it will reduce fire risk.

The filter is mounted horizontally, very important, and the outlet to the carburettor is at 6 o'clock. At 12 o'clock is the fuel return pipe to the tank. There is no bracket, the Tubes hold it in the right attitude.

The filter carb outlet should be at the same level or slightly above the carb inlet.

If all the above is done the carb will be supplied with a constant low pressure fuel supply with good quantity available.
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 07:31 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Yup, as mentioned, it is upside down. Usually you can just give them a good twist. 'All' the filters I have bought for mine come with 3 new pieces of hose to connect up the new filter with so those are supposed to get changed every filter for safety reasons. Old lines dry out.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
monomoy4
1979 CJ7 

Thanks All - I've got a new filter kit with 3 sections of hose ready to go. I will install as you've directed. Is there anything special I should be doing prior to removing the old filter?? I've read there's some pressure in the fuel line...I don't want gas spraying everywhere... This is the first fuel filter I've replaced on a car.
Unread 06-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #7
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

most times the gas pressure bleeds off if you let the engine cool. You do not want to spray gas over a hot engine anyway.

I run the top hose out on the filter to the cansiter and bottom out hose to carb.
works fine.

my little 4 banger (1984) fires right up and run full blast with all of its 60+ hp, real highway burner. But plenty of power for me.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You can have a catch tray of some kind under the carb to catch the gas that will leak out. I use the bottoms of antifreeze or WW fluid containers for catchers of stuff and as cleaning trays. Usually I just cut the side out so it still has the spout to pour of the fluid later.

Be aware that the hoses are different sizes, the smaller piece goes on the 'return line' nipple up top. Same for the clamps, 2 will be different colours that the other 4 usually. Personally I prefer to use worm gear clamps that you tighten with a screwdriver over those squeeze clips. I have had too many clips fail over the years.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
LimeLite
1978 CJ5 

i've seen a couple references to one of the lines on the filter going to the vapor canister, I was under the impression it ran back to the tank

Ex-Member of offroad nuts
LimeLite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
monomoy4
1979 CJ7 

Great advice - thanks again
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
drive78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Sorry to bring an old post up but I am having some trouble with my fuel filter.. I took of the old one not looking to how the lines connected.. not I cannot get fuel to the carb.. I think i have the lines mixed up.. On the side of the filter with the two outlets does the outlet in the center of the filter go to the canister? wile the one at "6 oclock" or the outlet on the edge of the filter go to the carb? right now I have it the other way and it doesnt seem to work. before I switch it again I figured id ask you guys.

photos of the correct set up would be great.

Thank you
drive78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
swatson454
Web Wheeler

1983 CJ7 

Here you go. The center-out goes to the carb and the smaller, bypass outlet goes back to the tank.

I hope it helps.

Shawn
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
drive78CJ7
1978 CJ7 

Ok that helps alot thank you.
drive78CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #14
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

on end of filter with one opening, that is the inlet.

on the other end with two outlets.
center one is to carb.

one on outside goes to canister and it should be placed up above the one going to carb.

some have had problems with fuel draining back from carb to cannister. so canister outlet must be above outlet to carb.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #15
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellmax View Post
on end of filter with one opening, that is the inlet.

on the other end with two outlets.
center one is to carb.

one on outside goes to canister and it should be placed up above the one going to carb.

some have had problems with fuel draining back from carb to cannister. so canister outlet must be above outlet to carb.
The return tube is not intended to be connected to the canister, its routing is to the fuel tank.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , fuel filter , installation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.