The correct way to power an HEI - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The correct way to power an HEI

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #31
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I think the wiring diagram on page 1 should be a sticky.

The rest of the thread is kind of convoluted.

Just my opinion,

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #32
mirage100
1976 CJ7 

GREAT post .Thanks
mirage100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #33
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

We were pretty well-behaved in that exchange

Shawn
Unread 03-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #34
Galt
1983 CJ7 

I moderate on a different car forum and yes I would pin this topic.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #35
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Bringing back from the dead thread file...

Found out it was an HEI/Clone maker kicking around the CDI ignitions...

Turns out, he was dead wrong.
Comparing the actual firing voltages/duration of CDI to HEI/Clones side by side in my own Jeep...
See, I have dual ignitions, so I set one up for HEI module, one for CDI module, firing through the same coils on the same engine.

No contest. CDI wins hands down.

About 1 in 12 cylinders misfired with the HEI module, where virtually NONE misfired with the CDI at idle,
And it got worse as RPM went up...

The HEI module was so down on power by 2,500 RPM the computer actually registered a fault with the ignition,
Around 1 in 5 cylinders misfired.

When the CDI went from multi fire to single fire (around 2,540 RPM) there wasn't a single recordable misfire up to 4,500 RPM, which as fast as I care to run this little V-8 under load... (also reached the limits of my home made recording equipment)

Now, I understand some misfires at idle or very low RPM with a CDI, since I'm on a carb just like everyone else,
And I'm RICH at lower RPM to keep hesitation down...
But averaging just one misfire in 750 firing cycles is pretty good! Sure beat the 1 in 12 with HEI...
(And at one in 750, I'm not sure it isn't the '73 engine valves/lifters, ect. causing the misfires.)

Now, for those of you that don't know me, I don't leave ANY stone un-turned. I originally built the HEI/DuraSpark ignition to test the difference between those two modules. HEI won in the over all using the Ford type E-core coils, but not by much, and the Ford /DuraSpark ignition showed better cold starts, better hot starts, but lost out to variable dwell and fuel efficiency over time.

Just got around to installing the CDI in the spring, and did a little testing, replacing the DuraSpark module with a CDI module.

And if you are wondering if this is crap or not, several of the guys from this forum have been wheeling with me, they have seen the dual ignitions in action in the field. Just didn't hook up the CDI until this spring...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.