Correct mounting locations for steering stabilizer? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
ChefturnersCJ
1985 CJ7 

Correct mounting locations for steering stabilizer?

I have seen steering stabilizers that either mount to the axle and tie rod or two a custom bracket and the drag link.

So which is best... and more over where are the correct mounting points? I'm having a tiny bit of a clearance issue with my rancho that runs from the axle tube to the tie rod...

Also I have tried not running one and that is no longer an option as I want a stabilizer on there.

Last edited by ChefturnersCJ; 01-11-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 12:51 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

My '81 connects to the tie rod and a special bracket between the leaf spring and the spring perch.

I'm pretty sure the later models are the same way.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
SteeringShockInstalled.jpg  
Attached Images

post #3 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

my 85 cj7 setup is the same as Matt's
post #4 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 04:13 PM
predatorbass

He might be talking about this one, I purchased this same one and have not installed it yet and maybe I should just send it back ? I have the same set up as the 81 shown, I have a aftermarket axle cover and my stock one hits it when you turn to the right so I was hoping to use this mount to make it work ?
Link http://www.morris4x4center.com/steer...-rs-97345.html
post #5 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
ChefturnersCJ
1985 CJ7 

Yup that's the ran home I have and it binds against my heavy duty diff cover. No chance of running an extra skid plate either.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 PM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Yup mine bumps and moans and I promise to fix it some day.
RN
post #7 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 02:52 PM
predatorbass

Did you figure anything out on it ?
post #8 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
ChefturnersCJ
1985 CJ7 

Yes I have the Rancho 500 steering stabilizer that connects from the axle bracket to the tie rod. The tie rod bracket has to be installed the correct direct (flang on the outside and mounting plate under the shock body). Mine was flipped and was causing binding issues. it now has more room to clear.

I was told that if the draglink is already upgraded to a heavy duty the type I have is the way to go, if not then the custom ones to the drag link are the way to go.

This is an example of the one that goes to the draglink: http://www.amazon.com/Rugged-Ridge-1...ing+stabilizer

I don't see a way to clear both so it's one or the other.

The big double ones are only suggested for over 37" tires.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 04:14 PM
WSS
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

You can outboard the drivers side mount to outside the leaf spring, this puts the inner clamp away from the diff cover, also are you running a drop pitman? check OA length of PA to be sure it is OK. I had to outboard mine and another member suggested it and it works great.

WSS
post #10 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
ChefturnersCJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS
You can outboard the drivers side mount to outside the leaf spring, this puts the inner clamp away from the diff cover, also are you running a drop pitman? check OA length of PA to be sure it is OK. I had to outboard mine and another member suggested it and it works great. WSS
That's a great idea! Thanks man!

Also yes I'm running a drop pitman arm and heavy duty tie rod and drag link.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 09:31 AM
WSS
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

The drop pitman arm may be a problem. Check OA center to center of original and the drop, often the drop arm is a little longer. Outboard the mount and it should be fine. I run a D44 with a BTF cover. Had to find another way other than moving steering box forward. I want to do that when I do the rear stretch. I need more room in the rear seats and between the steering wheel and belly LOL.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

On my 79CJ with a dropped pitman arm, the searing arms are parallel and are less than an inch of each other at the point where the bracket mounts to the left in Matt's picture. I don't remember if I ever tried to mount the right hand side stake, to the out side of the spring pack.
It must have been a consideration at the time of installation and might have presented other problems. I have no recollection of this, which means another winter project may be at hand.
Great picture Matt, it makes me want to start all over. Just so clean.
RN
post #13 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 05:00 PM
predatorbass

I mounted mine today, it took some time to figure it out, I could not do it like is pictured for the 75+ jeeps instruction sheet, I mounted mine like this, hope it is ok, the bushings have some tweak to them but it seems to move freely.

post #14 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
ChefturnersCJ
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorbass
I mounted mine today, it took some time to figure it out, I could not do it like is pictured for the 75+ jeeps instruction sheet, I mounted mine like this, hope it is ok, the bushings have some tweak to them but it seems to move freely.
You mounted it correctly. That's how mine is but my drag link is parallel to my tie Rod so the four bolt bracket rubs the diff cover. Going to try and out board the axle mount and four bolt mount this weekend. If that doesn't work I'm going to try mounting it from underneath.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-13-2016, 07:20 PM
1980tallcj7
1980 CJ7 

I have mine mounted so that bracket on the axle is right up next to the diff housing. The bracket on the tie rod is over next to the tie rod end ( driver side of course). Works like a charm for me.

1980 CJ7, Mule

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.