Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cooling System

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  PERK 
#1 ·
How can I tell if my 86 CJ7 Lerado I6 258 was equipped with a factory heavy duty cooling system or not?

#4 ·
Heavy duty has 3 tubes standard has 2.

#7 ·
Umm the right idea, but other way around on the caps eh... ;)

#8 ·
I know on mine and I have 3 the cap is off set. and the tanks are squared edges. 1 is the oem and one has been re-cored from a 2 core to a 3 core and one is a new replacement. I have an early 7 with a 304 that is being parted out and the rad on it had a center cap and the tank was rounded, don't remember how thick the core was. But there could be some difference whether it is a an east coast jeep or a Ca. Mine are all ca. jeeps. That's all the confusion that I can add.

#9 ·
When you do some checking you will find that the standard radiator has a 2 tube 1 1/2" thick core 15 7/8" between the tanks. A heavy duty has 3 tube 2" thick core 15 5/8" between the tanks. There's also a 2 core that that has a 16 3/4 "between the tanks. But remember we are dealing with vehicles that are at the very least 25 years old and things could have been changed. When you say is that the only difference What else would there be? There are only the Rad, w/p therm, water and the hoses that make up the cooling system. A high flow after market water pump could be added but the flow is controlled buy the thermostat. Remove the thermostat and the water will go through the radiator so fast that it will not cool in hot conditions, and the engine will not warm up cold conditions.

#13 ·
Here's the Cooling Chart from my FSM...hope it helps to clarify some questions for everyone. Keep in mind this is for 1976, so other years may have varying options on them...the Tempatrol is the fan clutch, btw.

Fred

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.