Cooling Question 258 - high temps! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cooling Question 258 - high temps!

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-26-2009, 07:04 AM   #61
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Yeah i've been doing all my testing with the winch off lately. It'll run up to 220 on the interstate after a short drive (short being < 5 minutes), then when i exit it still shoots up to ~240 for a few minutes before it cools down.

I haven't tried any longer trips. I'll probably drop it off at the shop this weekend. I'm done with this project.

valkadesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #62
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I guess that eliminates the air flow question. That sucks man, if feel your frustration!
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #63
kpauley
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpauley View Post
If interested, I have a two row radiator I just removed from our Jeep, replaced with a three row, so I can take pictures of both to show the differences...let me know (not sure if there are already photos somewhere or not)
I went ahead and posted some pictures of the two different radiators to show the difference, I put it in a new thread to make it easy to find for others.

Here's the thread
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 05:25 PM   #64
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Promised an update

The jeep has been at the shop over a month now (long long story). They rechecked the cooling system, changed the water pump twice, and the same symptoms were still showing up. Keep in mind this is after it's dropped 40 degrees in Nashville! So they decided to pull the head on the brand new rebuilt motor to see if they could notice anything.

Upon pulling the head they mentioned that things looked "off". Apparently it wasn't machined properly. I'm guessing that's what is causing my problems. So now they have go back to the engine rebuild shop and either get them to fix it or hopefully, get me a new motor. One problem, they don't have anymore 258s. I bought the last one. This seems never-ending, and I'm positive i won't have it back for another month or so.

I'll never buy another motor from Grooms rebuilt motors that's for sure.

Unfortunately, my shop hasn't been motivated to work on it either as they won't be making a penny off this and will probably lose money.

I'm done venting, but it's looking it is was the head in a brand new motor

I thought I'd owed the board a final update after everyone's help!
Unread 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM   #65
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

Holy Cheet man, what a mess! I hope it all works out ok

Shawn

Unread 11-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #66
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Final Post

Thanks to everyone for their help. I thought I'd finally close out this thread!

I got the jeep back yesterday after it had been in the shop about 2 months. They machined the head again, and threw the "new" rebuilt motor back in. At the same time, they also put in a new three core radiator from a rad shop in Nashville, another water pump just to be sure, and another new thermostat.

Although it's 40 degrees cooler outside now, after driving it for about 30 minutes on the interstate, all seems fixed.

It's nice to finally have the jeep home.
Unread 11-29-2009, 06:00 PM   #67
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

So what was the final verdic, man? Blocked passages, wrong head gasket, etc?

Unread 11-29-2009, 06:22 PM   #68
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

You know, i have no idea. The engine shop "wouldn't comment" according to my mechanic, but they did pick up the entire tab for the motor being pulled and replaced. I would LOVE to know, but i guess i have to be happy with it being fixed.

I bugged my mechanic several times for an "answer", but he could never get the engine shop to tell him....
Unread 01-09-2012, 02:31 PM   #69
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

I thought i'd throw a final post on here, but in the end I don't think the problem was the engine, radiator, or the airflow. This past weekend, i put in a new distributor that had working advance plates. I noted that the old distributor's plates were completed locked up. Since i've thrown this in and set the timing i can't get the temps over 200 degrees which is great! Now it's only 50 degrees here in Nashville, and i'll have to confirm over the summer, but it makes sense. I had changed everything out prior to this point except the distributor. It was the only major hold over from the prior engine. Hopefully i'm fixed for good! Thanks for everyone's help!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.