Cooling Question 258 - high temps! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cooling Question 258 - high temps!

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #46
sparkey
1983 CJ5 

I have the 3 core, with shroud and fan clutch also have A/C and it runs about 190 to 195 here in Texas weather. The clearence between fan hub and radiator is 1 inch on the I-6 engine. No spring in lower hose.
Good luck in getting it solved soon.

Unread 08-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #47
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

You may be right. I'll just order it up and go from there. The motor mounts are 2 months old, so i should be in great shape in that area. This whole thing has just gotten me paranoid and i want it fixed for good!
valkadesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #48
Skotter

I spoke to a Jeep owning/Rock crawling radiator repair shop guy about this the other day and he told me that the lack of a spring in the hose is not an over-heating issue. He said that the only way a hose can collapse is if there's blockage somewhere else in the system. A collapsed hose is a symptom, not a cause. The only way a hose can cause a restrictive overheating problem is if it's clogged, or, it is so old and weak that it sags or kinks and restricts flow. But that would have to be a really nasty, overly soft hose.

I would look into a flushing of the entire system too. While rebuilding my 85 258, I turned the block over and ran air into the water jacket and big mounds of rust the consistancy of coarse sand blew out the ports. Probably three big handfulls. Surprised the heck out of me. All that crap had to have a negative effect on the overall temp and efficiency.
Skotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:18 PM   #49
chromegrille
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by valkadesh View Post

I'm really scared to take it on the interstate for any period of time. Prior to putting in the new engine, my last motor overheated on the interstate and boiled coolant everywhere!
so is this rebuilt motor doing the same, physically boiling coolant out the tube and/or into the bottle ?

are the fan blades on backwards ? pushing instead of pulling ?

hold a towel up against the grille at 2000 rpm; the suction should hold the towel against the grille.

I've seen 2 instances in 30 years where the coolant jacket where the temp sender is installed is plugged; the sender reads the cylinder head temp, ie, no water getting to the sender bulb; remove the sending unit; is water present ?

if the radiator has been checked thoroughly by a competent shop, it's not the problem; engine should stay cool with factory 2 row if everything is working properly.
chromegrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2009, 07:31 PM   #50
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

It's not boiling it over, but it probably would, i'm watching my temps really close. The new fan clutch and blades suck air like crazy, that's certainly not the problem. If i loosen the sender, coolant flows out, so it's getting there too. The radiator also checked out squeaky clean, as it should be only 2 years old with limited miles on it since!

I just ordered a 3 core radiator tonight, should be in soon. I'm curious to see how the fit is!
Unread 08-18-2009, 10:28 PM   #51
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I'm half hesitant to throw this out because of the likely pot-stirring that will occur but retarded timing will increase temps. Higher temp thermos, retarted/ported advance etc. was all part of meeting emissions requirements. I'm not saying that that's the entire problem as I don't believe it is but if your cooling system is maxed out, it sure might be the straw that broke the camels back.

I re-curved my dizzy to what the engine needed to run well, not what the engineers needed to pass emissions, went to properly set up manifold vacuum, base timed it at 8* and lower water temps were a nice little bonus to the added performance.

Are you dead-positive that your fuel and ignition curves are correct? Lean and retarded can really build up the heat. Also, I don't recall if it's been covered here but how is your exhaust? If you're running a fairly-plugged cat or restriction elsewhere, you'll likely have a lot of backpressure under a good load, like on the highway, and that won't let the cylinder clear out very well leaving nice hot exhaust in there. That can certainly escalate your issue as well.

This little heat issue has given you fits and I hope it all turns out well.

Last edited by swatson454; 08-18-2009 at 10:48 PM..
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #52
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

My exhaust manifolds are brand new. Cat & muffler are about 2 years old with about 3000 miles on them. My exhaust should be in excellent condition.

I haven't really played much with the curve on the distributor since i got the jeep. During the team rush, i didn't look at or change out any of the springs, and i haven't touched the allen wrench hole, where the vacuum advance plugs into the distributor.

I've probably read 50-75 thread on here on this topic, spoken to a few knowledgeable people locally, and done some other research. With that said, i'm really hoping it's the radiator not being big enough. The spiking of temperature for a few seconds when i get off the interstate seems to be a sign to some that my radiator is too small to properly displace heat.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon. It's insane (and embarrassing) that this has turned into a 50 post thread!
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:36 AM   #53
joes1982CJ

didnt your year jeep come stock with the serp belt? was it changed to v belt when they put on the injection possibly? reason i ask is " maybe " your pump is going in the wrong direction?? i know this was discussed prior but i would double check this. especially if a new pump was installed for that particular year jeep.

also, one thing i came across years ago was a backwards installed thermostat - if its upside down in the housing this will cause your issue.

a buddy of mine was dealing with the same issue on a v8 installed jeep and he tried everything to fix this same sort of issue. how he fixed this was drilling a 1/8th inch hole in the thermostat to burp the air.

its got to be something simple that is being overlooked.

one other thing i saw in the past was a small rag in and engine block during a rebuild that someone forgot to remove, i know its a long shot but these are some things i have come across in my years of wrenchin on stuff....

keep us posted.
joes1982CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #54
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

I'm almost positive mine came with the V-belt setup. If it was was supposed to be a serp belt, the fan would be spinning the wrong way. Right now that clutch fan is definitely "sucking" correctly.

I haven't pulled out the thermostat, but i suppose i could.

I've checked the water pump part number that was purchased by my shop and it was the correct one. Now, could they have put the wrong part in the box, it's a possibility.
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #55
joes1982CJ

whats the status? curious to know what could be causing this...
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #56
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Well here is the latest. I'm stuck at the moment. I got in the 3 core radiatior from ready-rad #443583, and there is no way it'll fit with the clutch fan. I may have 1/4 inch of clearance or it may be touching. I didn't actually install it, but i measured it a few different ways. Either way it's going to be way too tight. So i can't use that with my current clutch fan setup.

I also went to replace the thermostat and cracked the housing reinstalling it. I'm waiting to get a new one it, but it's been a pain to seal even using some permatex.

I'm really beyond sick of messing with this now. I may drop it off at my shop and have them finish it up one way or another.

I'll probably try it with the fresh thermostat and give it a whirl, and if that doesn't fix it maybe try and move to a 4 blade mechanical fan with the 3 core radiator. The water pump is also a possibility still i suppose although i'm pretty sure it's got the right one.

Unfortunately, the weather has really cooled in Nashville, so it's going to be a tough comparison. 95 degree+ to upper 70s-low 80s, is a big difference.

Don't worry, i'll fix it somehow, and be sure to post updates. I hate threads that don't end with the conclusion!
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #57
joes1982CJ

maybe try drilling a small hole in the new t stat also??? i feel your pain, these kinda things can get old fast.

on another note,,, i always thought the 3 row radiator was thicker towards the fron and not towards the fan?
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:52 AM   #58
valkadesh
1985 CJ7 

Good thought on the thermostat.

Looking at the installed 2-row, there is at least a 1 inch "gap" towards the fan in the radiator housing. The 3 row, from what i can tell, basically fills that gap.
Unread 08-25-2009, 11:54 AM   #59
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

did you ever take that winch off as a test?
swatson454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2009, 09:53 PM   #60
kpauley
1974 CJ5 

If interested, I have a two row radiator I just removed from our Jeep, replaced with a three row, so I can take pictures of both to show the differences...let me know (not sure if there are already photos somewhere or not)
kpauley is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.