Cooling Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cooling Issue

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
briancj
1981 CJ7 

Cooling Issue

Hi All, I recently bought a CJ 7 with an inline 6 engine and I am having cooling problems. I've already changed the thermostate and waterpump, and replaced the fan with a slightly larger flex fan. Coolant does seem to be flowing through the radiator, however, neither the hose coming off the block into the heater core nor the hose coming out of the heater core to the water pump are getting any where near as hot as the top radiator hose. My temp gauge gets well past hot within 10 min just sitting at an idle. I'm not sure what else to check and would appreciate any information you guys can provide.

Thanks

Brian

briancj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

1. Radiator recore

2. Heater core replacement. You could temporarily bypass this by rerouting your hoses, then see if your engine still gets hot. If it does - your radiator needs to be recored. If it doesn't, the problem mostly is a result of poor circulation through your heater core.

To me, it sounds like it's both, but do some research on the points above.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Double check with a reliable gauge. The stock gauge is usually off.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Stop throwing money away and guessing. Changing the fan won't fix the problem. At best it's only going to treat the symptoms.

You need to establish whether or not you're getting circulation through both the block and the radiator. Rodding your existing radiator will most likely give you better results than replacing it with a new aluminum one. But it won't do anything if water can't circulate through the block. You might also want to verify that the bottom radiator hose is still in good shape. When they start to go bad they will collapse when running and stop the circulation. Most guys prefer a hose with a spring in it to prevent collapsing. Hose manufacturers say the new hoses won't do that though, even without a spring.

If your Jeep is typical, it had the four bladed fan with no fan clutch. That set up works perfectly fine to cool your engine. Even here in Arizona it doesn't overheat if it's working like it's supposed to. The 258 is a very simple machine and there's no reason to make it more complicated than it is.

That engine also tends to run warm. It's supposed to have a 195° thermostat in it. As others have mentioned, don't trust the TEMP gauge, verify it another way.
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Are you sure you have the right water pump? There are clockwise and counter-clockwise versions depending on your belt type.

*edit* - I have a cold and pumped full of Dayquil so I 'bettered' my wording.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Does your radiator start loosing coolant out the overflow when the gauge is showing above hot?

Go to Home Depot and buy their $50 infrared thermometer. It will take all the guess work out of using the factory gauge.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

My bet is that its the gauge.

I had this exact issue occur and it ended up being the gauge. I bought an infrared temp gauge to confirm. Then replaced the gauge and have had no more issues.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

^^The gauge makes his hoses coming to/from the heater core warm not hot?^^
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Not sure on that. But with new thermostat, water pump, etc., I'm betting his gauge is off.

Maybe the thermostat isn't even getting hot enough to open before the gauge is erroneously reading hot. That ended up being my issue.
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
JeePete
1983 CJ7 

Agree with the above...plus->

Another issue could be gunked up water passages in the motor.

How long have you had it and do you know (from the PO) if it ever sat for a long time?

Did you flush it when you were changing out pieces parts?
JeePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
PERK
1983 CJ7 

new cheap t-stats have been known to be bad,( just went through this with a buddies jeep) by a good one like Robert Shaw..
PERK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Do you have a fan shroud? You really need one.
Get rid of the 'flex-fan' and find a 7 blade OEM.
Are you sure you have the WP with the correct rotation. 2 WP's are made, one for v-belt and one for serpentine belt(reverse rotation).
Rod out or recore your radiator to at least a 3 row.
Run a 16-18 lb cap.
Do you have a 'bug-screen' on your grill? Get rid of it!
Confirm your not run'n a lean fuel mix(vacuum leaks)by 'reading' your s'plugs.
LG
Unread 09-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #13
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

cheap easy test of radiator,
drain coolant,
take loose upper and lower radiator hoses from radiator, also take off radiator cap.

hold your hand over the lower radiator opening
have a buddy fill radiator with water.

when radiator is full remove your hand from the lower outlet and watch the water as it exits the radiator, if the radiator is open and clean, the water should shoot out of the lower radiator outlet, good steady flow.

if radiator is partially stopped up the water will slowly exit the radiator and gurgle along as it runs out.

you need a fast flow

this is a cheap way to check radiator,
if stopped up, have it rodded out, before you ruin that good motor, as overheating is the second fastest way to ruin a good motor, lose of oil pressure is the fastest way to ruin a good motor.
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #14
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Does your radiator start loosing coolant out the overflow when the gauge is showing above hot?

Go to Home Depot and buy their $50 infrared thermometer. It will take all the guess work out of using the factory gauge.

Matt
Look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contact-...item51b0a7cf49

only half a percent of accuracy difference from my $200 fluke, should of waited 10yrs.

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Non-Contact-...item51b0a7cf49

only half a percent of accuracy difference from my $200 fluke, should of waited 10yrs.
Damn, that's a good price!! I think I paid about $70 for mine at NAPA.

Hey Brian, have you figured anything out, yet?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.