cool exhaust but not practical - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cool exhaust but not practical

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Poison Spyder DeFenders™ - "Tubeless" Jeep FendeSanta Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!

Unread 01-20-2002, 11:01 AM   #1
Bulletproofcj7

cool exhaust but not practical

Does anyone else have the fenderwell headers into mufflers under the doors on their cj.
The reason i ask is there is no hangers on mine, they just hang from the headers bolted onto the block and my first set (cheap headers) cracked at the flange at the head.
Now ive got the hedmen HTC. (expensive headers) i dont want the same thing to happen to these. (as much as i regret buying them and not the regular headers) so im looking for the best way to support them.any suggestions?

1982 cj7. Frame off. shell valley kevlar body, stainless hinges, Bestop seats and supertop, KC titanium lights, Homemade swing out tire carrier with spare front wheel bearings/hub, Built 304,DUI,Edelbrock shorty headers with dual stainless 21/2 tubes into incynerator cans 21/4 dumped out the back,Edelbrock 600cfm, performer intake and cam, Borgeson lower column, Centerforce clutch, NV-4500, Dana 300 w/custom built twin stick, Homade 1/4" steel skid plate, 2.5 soft ride w/ 1" shackle lift, 33x12.5 mtr's. Stainless fuel and brake lines, Braided hoses. more...
Bulletproofcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2002, 04:17 PM   #2
CJ5.0

I had fenderwell headers on the last cj I owned. I made a bracket from 3/4" angle iron to support the muffler. I welded three pieces together to form a triangle large enough to reach from the outside of the frame to the backside of the muffler. You can either bolt or weld this bracket to the frame. I bolted mine so I could remove it if I ever had to. I then welded a small tab onto the backside of each muffler (about 6" in from the outlet) and drilled a hole through both pieces (the angle iron and the tab on muffler) and bolted them together using washers and rubber spacers from an old steering stabilizer. You'll have to use some sort of rubber mounts between the brackets and the mufflers or you'll have the same cracking problem as before when the engine torques. Been there, done that! If you take your time and position the bracket in the right spot on the frame it won't be visible unless your looking from underneath. This setup is great for anyone running a fiberglass body. I like fenderwell exit headers, having those mufflers on the outside of the frame and out of your way when working underneath is way worth it in my book.
Hope this helps,
Chip
CJ5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2002, 04:37 PM   #3
MR.CJ-7

I am running the cheapest fenderwell headers I can find for my CJ, have been since I owned it(12 years). I started with "turbo" mufflers as the shop called them. The exhaust shop would put solid hangers on and sure enough the flange would crack after a while(especially with any rock crawling) now I use "cherry bomb" mufflers because I wanted a "glass pack" type muffler because I didn't like the look of the standard mufflers on each side. For the hanger I use a universal muffler hanger available at any part store for about $5. I got mine from Pep Boys. It is simply a piece of 1/2" X 6" long piece of rubber with a few mounting holes drilled in it. I fasten one end to any available point on the tub, then loop the other end around the tail pipe and fasten the hanger to itself with the bolts in the kit. I haven't cracked a flange since, rusted through many sets, but no cracks. Another plus of the rubber mount is when I crawl over a rock and the exhaust hit the rocks the pipes can move enough so they don't smash like they would if they were solid mounted(yes I have field tested it ). Let me know if you would like a pic of the set up.

Good luck
Unread 01-20-2002, 08:06 PM   #4
Knucklehead
1973 CJ5 

Bullethead,
I've always run with fenderwell headers and free hanging side pipes on my CJ-5 since I put it together in '86. First with a 304 and then with the current Chevy 350. Never had a problem. I run it now with full size AfterBurner mufflers most of the time although I slap on open collectors with turn-outs every once in a while for laughs. Again, never had a problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.