Cool it down!!! (Contour Fans) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cool it down!!! (Contour Fans)

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #16
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Just ground (-) to the temp sensor switch instead of the chassis. It will create a ground at about 208* and complete the circuit. I'm not familiar with XJ relays so I cannot say what is going on with them but I'm fairly certain there is a computer control aspect to the XJ that the CJ did not have.

Good luck
Well there is no place to ground to. But even so, the switch is not completing a circuit even at 212° when I test it in the kitchen. With only one wire coming off this switch I am confused how you hooked it up to the relay?

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepinJeep View Post
Well there is no place to ground to. But even so, the switch is not completing a circuit even at 212° when I test it in the kitchen. With only one wire coming off this switch I am confused how you hooked it up to the relay?
one wire fan switch's are the ground. Your relay is energized by the ignition switch or how ever you decide to supply power to it. The opposite side runs from relay to switch, the switch heats up to the rated temp and closes itself internally to ground through the head/block. Which completes the circuit inside the relay to energize the the load side of the relay (the fan wire/s) which turns the fan on.
When cool enough the switch opens breaking connection and the ground to the relay, effectively shutting off the fans.

To bench test a fan switch in water you use an ohm meter one lead attached to the shell of the switch the other lead to the terminal. closed 0.00, open infinite
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, thanks. That is exactly how it is set up I was just using the wrong term for ground. But the bench test failed, the brand new switch is not closing the circuit. Any ideas?

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
Unread 05-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepinJeep View Post
Ok, thanks. That is exactly how it is set up I was just using the wrong term for ground. But the bench test failed, the brand new switch is not closing the circuit. Any ideas?
No real ideas except the switch may be bad or it just turns on higher than 212f
I originally bought a switch like that Murray one. The application was for a GM car but it did not turn on till 220f+ even though it was rated for 205f the weirdest part was it would not shut off till the temp dropped well below t/stat closing temp. I ended up going with a different brand entirely. I used a universal switch from Summit rated 200f on and 185f off. that one worked perfectly for me running a 180f t/stat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890018
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I figured out what is going on but I'm still confused as how to proceed. The factory leads coming out of the wire loom and going to the factory fan switch (which was in the radiator) is positive. So when I picked up a single pole switch that shorts to ground and installed it into the thermostat housing, I assumed the stock leads were negative. It wouldn't be a problem with a switch with two wires coming out of it but with only one wire I have to short to ground, not connect to positive wires.... Is this making any sense? It's hard to explain but now I'm at a loss.

If I could isolate the switch it wouldn't be a problem but obviously the switch is connected to the thermostat housing which is grounded to the engine.

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Here is what I ended up going with. When I get my Jeep back and get it installed I will finally get to test it.
fan-control-diagram_rev.jpg  
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #22
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I wired my fans up single speed. Using 2 relays and 2 circuit breakers, one for each fan both sharing the single sensor. So i am not sure how you are trying to get yours to work but here is a simple relay wiring diagram.

The switch between the ignition switch and terminal 86 is optional. It is for killing the fans during deep water crossings. On would be normal operation and off would shut down the fans manually.
relaywire.jpg  
Unread 05-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #23
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys! What I was trying to do was wire the new switch to the factory relay without adding anything new... And I finally figured it out and got it working by finding the ground wire which was hiding in a huge bundle of factory wires. So I got that working but now my my jeep wont even turn over, I must have shorted something while testing all the wires... Dammit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.