Cool it down!!! (Contour Fans) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cool it down!!! (Contour Fans)

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-09-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
79OldBlue
1976 CJ5 

Cool it down!!! (Contour Fans)

So I'm heading out to the scrapyards today to find a Contour fan to put into the CJ; I though I'd gather some info from the masses before I pick my hardware. So here are a couple questions I've got-

1)From reading other threads, it sounds like there are two versions of the contour fan out there; one that has high/low speeds, and one that has only one speed. Am I correct on this?

2)I want to run dual relays/ fuzes. If it's a dual speed fan, I want to go with low speed comes on at temp X and high speed on at temp X. If it's single speed, I want ONE fan to come on at temp X and the second to join at a higher temp. What temperatures should I use? I was thinking 190 and 200, but that's just a guess...

3)I've got a 195 thermostat in it right now. Overheating is a big concern, and it'll be a bigger concern in about two months when these GA summers really kick in. Should I be running the 180 thermo instead?

The info ought to be in my profile, but if it's not, I've got a 76 CJ5 w/ a 258. BTW, I just got done replacing the radiator w/ a stock replacement; once I get the fans put in, I'll put up some pics of the upgrade as a whole so everyone can give there thoughts, comments, and petty insults.

79OldBlue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

79OldBlue,

My father called his '81 CJ7, that I currently own, "Old Blue". He even had a custom spare tire cover made that said, "Old Blue. She's tried and true."

Anyway, I'm not a cooling expert. The stock radiator and fan have always kept my 258 plenty cool. It does seem like a lot of guys have cooling issues, though. I always wonder if that's fuel mixture related, or tuning, or if the stock cooling setup is truly inadequate.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I just saw the handle "Old Blue" and I had to comment.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
mtndrew
1983 CJ7 

I put a 180 thermostat in my 258 and it really helped on the hot days and those long hills.
mtndrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i am putting a contour fan in mine. heres a good thread on more info.

www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/contour-fan-writeup-1307826/

i am just waiting on the fan controller to show up...aaaannnnny day now
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:00 AM   #5
79OldBlue
1976 CJ5 

Matt-

It's not that it's inadequate right now, just want to keep it cooler. It'll get me around just fine (for the most part) but as the RPMs get up, the temp gets up higher than I would like it. Just adding to the cooling components to keep it from getting away from me.

Funny thing about my handle being "79OldBlue"- my first jeep was a 79 CJ5 that was blue. I sold it because it was WAY past my ability to fix; now I've got a 76 that's yellow and runs like a champ!
Unread 04-09-2012, 07:08 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79OldBlue View Post
Matt-

It's not that it's inadequate right now, just want to keep it cooler. It'll get me around just fine (for the most part) but as the RPMs get up, the temp gets up higher than I would like it. Just adding to the cooling components to keep it from getting away from me.
Ahhh...preventative measures...probably a good idea, then.

My factory temp gauge rarely gets over half-way. I've never seen it over 3/4, even on the steepest climbs. And that's with a massive Warn 8274 sitting in front of the radiator.

Hopefully, my factory gauge isn't lying to me.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79OldBlue View Post

1)From reading other threads, it sounds like there are two versions of the contour fan out there; one that has high/low speeds, and one that has only one speed. Am I correct on this?

2)I want to run dual relays/ fuzes. If it's a dual speed fan, I want to go with low speed comes on at temp X and high speed on at temp X. If it's single speed, I want ONE fan to come on at temp X and the second to join at a higher temp. What temperatures should I use? I was thinking 190 and 200, but that's just a guess...

3)I've got a 195 thermostat in it right now. Overheating is a big concern, and it'll be a bigger concern in about two months when these GA summers really kick in. Should I be running the 180 thermo instead?

The info ought to be in my profile, but if it's not, I've got a 76 CJ5 w/ a 258. BTW, I just got done replacing the radiator w/ a stock replacement; once I get the fans put in, I'll put up some pics of the upgrade as a whole so everyone can give there thoughts, comments, and petty insults.
1.) there are two contour fan assemblies. A single fan single speed assembly and a Dual Fan dual speed assembly. You want the dual fan assembly. It came on the higher performance engine and A/C cars. It is also used on the Mercury Mystique. the dual fan unit is easily converted to single speed if you want.

2.) thermostat temp is you guideline here. If you are using a 180 deg t/stat you want a fan on of about 195 deg and fan off at about 185 deg for a single speed. A two speed would have tighter off and on settings but an adjustable controller makes dialing the settings in easier.

3.) if your jeep is running too hot now with a 195 deg t/stat swapping to a 180 deg one is not going to help. you need to find out why its not cooling.
the t/stat is only governing the earliest open temp. once any t/stat is open they all flow about the same. With a 195 deg t/stat your normal running temp should be around 200 to 205 deg.

I did mine and I think it is one of my best mods. I did not like the controller probe ideas so i converted mine to a single speed dual relays and used a sensor in a 4.0 t/stat housing.
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
79OldBlue
1976 CJ5 

Alright! I found the fan in a 2000 Cougar! The wife and I pulled it out (easier said than done) and I've got it back here. Tomorrow I'll hotwire it and make sure that it works; after that I'm heading to the parts store to pick up a couple controllers and put it in there!

Here's a NEW question now though- I found a 4.0 thermostat housing in the scrapyard that I have to go back for tomorow. I want to throw it on there to avoid putting the probe through the radiator, but I don't know if the thermo housing is going to be compatible; anyone know?

If it IS compatible, can I just use that one sensor to trigger both relays? I'd like to avoid sticking anything into the radiator if I can.
Unread 04-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
titomars
1981 CJ7 

In doing my research, a single temperature sender/sensor will not control two speeds unless you have an ECM that is capable. so if you were to use a sender in a 4.0 housing you would have to be content with a single speed setup. I could not find an affordable 2 spd. controller setup that did not use probes that just stuck in to the rad core. I originally wanted 2 spd. fans but I just did not like what was available for controlling them. I did not want to run 2 separate sensors in my engine for fan control, one for low and one for high. So I just rewired the fans and made everything a single spd.

Yes you can use one sensor to trigger 2 relays. That's what i did.
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #10
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

I ended up using two weather tight relays from a 90's GM car and a $15 temp switch from Oreilly threaded into the manifold near the CTO. One relay for each fan.

Since I have an auto I wired the lower fan to be always on and triggers from the oil pressure switch. The 2nd fan runs off the temp switch. The switch is 208* I believe. I'm running a 3-core with a 195* t-stat. The lower fan alone WILL pull air from the entire radiator regardless of what you have read. I tested it before I wired it up this way by using 1/2 of a paper towel. With only the lower fan on the Contour fan will pull so much air that it will stick 1/2 a paper towel to the radiator anywhere on the front fins. The jeep runs nice and cool and can sit and idle with no rise on the gauge. The only time I have seen the 208* fan kick on so far is after a drive and shut down. The fan will kick on and run for about a minute and then shut down. I wired it this way intentionally. The top fan is not "key on" or oil pressure switched so if my OP switch fails the high fan will kick on at 208*.

Here is the switch...

Murray - Engine Mounted Cooling Fan Temperature Switch

Part # 35946

Line: MRY

Online:

Available
Store:

Usually Avail. 24 Hrs

for this item only

Add to Printable List $15.99 Each

(ignore the crappy ground wire above the relays, that was a PO headlight ground that I have not looked into yet)
imag0963s.jpg   imag0964s.jpg  
Unread 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

I used the 4.0 thermostat housing on mine. Works like a champ. Got a switch from Painless and used it for a relay trigger. No problems at all!

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
I ended up using two weather tight relays from a 90's GM car and a $15 temp switch from Oreilly threaded into the manifold near the CTO. One relay for each fan.

Since I have an auto I wired the lower fan to be always on and triggers from the oil pressure switch. The 2nd fan runs off the temp switch. The switch is 208* I believe. I'm running a 3-core with a 195* t-stat. The lower fan alone WILL pull air from the entire radiator regardless of what you have read. I tested it before I wired it up this way by using 1/2 of a paper towel. With only the lower fan on the Contour fan will pull so much air that it will stick 1/2 a paper towel to the radiator anywhere on the front fins. The jeep runs nice and cool and can sit and idle with no rise on the gauge. The only time I have seen the 208* fan kick on so far is after a drive and shut down. The fan will kick on and run for about a minute and then shut down. I wired it this way intentionally. The top fan is not "key on" or oil pressure switched so if my OP switch fails the high fan will kick on at 208*.

Here is the switch...

Murray - Engine Mounted Cooling Fan Temperature Switch

Part # 35946

Line: MRY

Online:

Available
Store:

Usually Avail. 24 Hrs

for this item only

Add to Printable List $15.99 Each

(ignore the crappy ground wire above the relays, that was a PO headlight ground that I have not looked into yet)

Can you please help me figure out how to wire this switch to work? I have the same switch but am having no luck...

It's my impression that the switch will short to ground when the temp reaches 208. So I have it hooked up to the stock fan relay on my XJ. the relay has two wires so I connected one to ground near the switch and the other to the pigtail coming off the top of the switch. However, that didn't work. I then tested the switch in a pot of boiling water and it is not shorting to ground... Am I using the switch wrong or do I have a bad switch?

Thanks for the help!

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #13
BleepinJeep
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
I used the 4.0 thermostat housing on mine. Works like a champ. Got a switch from Painless and used it for a relay trigger. No problems at all!

Do you have a part number for this switch? I'd like to see the specs.

A wise man once told me, "I am going to give you some advice; you can take it or leave it, but keep in mind that it is worth exactly what you paid for it"
BleepinJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #14
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleepinJeep View Post
Can you please help me figure out how to wire this switch to work? I have the same switch but am having no luck...

It's my impression that the switch will short to ground when the temp reaches 208. So I have it hooked up to the stock fan relay on my XJ. the relay has two wires so I connected one to ground near the switch and the other to the pigtail coming off the top of the switch. However, that didn't work. I then tested the switch in a pot of boiling water and it is not shorting to ground... Am I using the switch wrong or do I have a bad switch?

Thanks for the help!
Just ground (-) to the temp sensor switch instead of the chassis. It will create a ground at about 208* and complete the circuit. I'm not familiar with XJ relays so I cannot say what is going on with them but I'm fairly certain there is a computer control aspect to the XJ that the CJ did not have.

Good luck
Unread 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Just ground (-) to the temp sensor switch instead of the chassis. It will create a ground at about 208* and complete the circuit. I'm not familiar with XJ relays so I cannot say what is going on with them but I'm fairly certain there is a computer control aspect to the XJ that the CJ did not have.

Good luck
On XJ's the ECM does control fan operation.
This is the kinda whiny crap I would expect to see in the JK forum. We drive rough riding, leaking, gas guzzling CJ's. Rattle can it and throw it in your Jeep.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1981 Jeep CJ7 258 4.0 HO head, T-5, D300, D30, D44, SOA
1994 Jeep XJ 4.0 HO, AX-15 (My Beater)
1946 Bantam T3-C (original Calif trailer, no rust)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.