Converting my YJ front clip to a CJ, just a quick question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Converting my YJ front clip to a CJ, just a quick question.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Converting my YJ front clip to a CJ, just a quick question.

Before you guys fame me, I KNOW you convert to YJ tubs, so there!

So, yeah, I'm in way too deep on my 94 right now, down to the frame, trying to squeeze a Ford 302 and T-18 in there, but that's a story for another time.

The issue at hand is this: I'm converting to a CJ front clip; hood, grille, and fenders. I generally understand what is involved with this and I'm not to worried about the actual face lift procedure. What has me concerned is clearing my tires.

I'm on a 4" spring, 1" BL, and probably 5/8" MORE booms (still undecided on which company/ how tall). I know with TJ Rubi flares in the rear there isn't an issue, but it's the front that has me worried. My YJ had flat fenders on it, so there was no issue, but I'd like to keep the CJ front end free of metal mutilation (stock CJ flares too).

With the 4 speed t18 trans I'm looking to run 35/36" AT's for street becuase that will let me do a comfortable RPM on the highway. YES my axles are ready. I'm not super concerned about atriculation, my offoad only tires are 33" MTs that will tuck plenty.

So there it is guys, help my mutt get a new pair of shoes!

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

4" + 1" BL and whatever a "boom" is sounds like plenty without rubbing. bEst to leave this up to the 7 guys.

I guess we should find out what width tire and wheel and what offset on the wheel you are running.

On a side note my 33X12 tuck nicely with only a 2-1/2" but I Have NT axles.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Booms are boomerang shackles. Mostly used to increase articulation and prevent spring inversion, but like any other shackle, can be made in various lengths for light slift increase. My Mt's are 33x12.5, my aspiring 35/36's would more than likely be 12.5 as well too, anything wider and you get rubbing problems. I can't recall my backspacing and offset at the moment, but with my 33's I don't rub at all at full lock, the're soft 8's.

I should have specified to the 7 crowd, that's what my front end is. Thanks for the info though.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.