converting my 78 CJ5 from steering column ignition switch to one mounted on the dash - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > converting my 78 CJ5 from steering column ignition switch to one mounted on the dash

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #1
ironcityal
1978 CJ5 

converting my 78 CJ5 from steering column ignition switch to one mounted on the dash

I have a 1978 CJ5 looking to move my ignition switch from the steering column to one mounted on the dash and i need some help.
1. whose ignition switch and part number did you use?
2. what is the wiring diagram you used to hook up the new switch using the exsisting wiring? what color wire went on what post? Thanks in advance.

ironcityal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #2
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Pre '76 CJ's had a dash mounted ignition switch. You can find repros all over the place - Amazon, ebay, rockauto, etc.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

All those questions are answered in the Factory Service Manual. Not a Haynes or Chilton. Those are too generic.

Factory Service Manuals can be pricey but they're very much worth the cost. Some are available on-line as well.

Try looking at the Morris 4X4 website around the bottom of their home page for "Jeep Resources" More than likely it will have a FSM for your year to browse. Nothing beats having the book in your hands though, full of notes to yourself on how you did things.

Looky here: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.