Converting Brake Pressure Switch from 2-Wire to 1-Wire Configuration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Converting Brake Pressure Switch from 2-Wire to 1-Wire Configuration

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-09-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
checkman808
1981 CJ5 

Converting Brake Pressure Switch from 2-Wire to 1-Wire Configuration

Does anyone know how to wire a single-wire Brake Pressure Switch in place of a 2-wire switch? I replaced my 81 CJ's stock Proportioning Valve with one calibrated for use with rear disc brakes. The stock P-valve was a 2-wire configuration, the new one is a single-wire config. The tech from the company I bought the P-valve from said to wire one line to the switch and the other to ground. Depending on how I wire it either the Brake Warning light stays on all the time or it doesn't operate as it should when the ignition is turned on or the parking brake engaged. I appreciate any assistance. Chucke

checkman808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

You need to splice the two wires together:

I don't recall, offhand, which of the two I spliced into the other, so you'll need to get a test light and check which one works when you twist the key to start (this is where the light is 'tested'). That the one you want to splice into the second wire.

The other wire will not light unless it's directed to ground (when the brakes fail), so that's the one that gets connected to the combo valve switch.

I know if I've got this bass asswards, someone will help out (John???).
Unread 01-11-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Yeah. When you have only two wires and you splice them together. it doesn't really matter which one get's spliced into which.

You should be able to just splice the two wires going into the combination valve together. One wire runs to the warning light. One wire runs off to the ignition were it gets grounded when the key is turned to "start" to check the circuit is working and that the bulb works. Did they give you a plug to fit the switch on the combination valve?

I have no idea what the tech was saying. I think he was just guessing on what the two wires might possibly do.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
checkman808
1981 CJ5 

Hack, John, Thanks for the post, you both were spot-on. This confirmed what I thought was the case after pouring through the schematics, but it wasn't working when I tested it... Turns out my little blue plastic tap connector wasn't connecting on one line or the other.... I verified it with jumpers and an ohmmeter and replaced the connector and it works perfectly...

To answer your question John, they did not supply a plug until after I called them to ask about it... "oh yeah! you'll need this $13 plug." Actually a drop in the bucket considering everything else I've done the last 10 years on this one. Thanks again guys, Cheers!

Chucke
checkman808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #5
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
it doesn't really matter which one get's spliced into which.
Yeah, I couldn't remember all the ciphering and crawling around I did on this 'issue' when I was confronted with it. I do recall that somewhere between the second and third case of beer (over a two week period), I figured it out.

What a head slapper that was......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.