Conversion sm465 Ebay -w dana 300 adaptor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Conversion sm465 Ebay -w dana 300 adaptor

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #1
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

Conversion sm465 Ebay -w dana 300 adaptor

I want to point out that there is an SM465 with the adaptor for a dana 300 and also the dana 300. This is cool because it "should" save someone a lot of time who is doing a conversion.

I am not in any way connected to this auction. But I recently did this conversion and had to take apart the sm465 to put in the new output shaft to match it up with my dana 300. It was a pain in the ***.

So as a public service I am calling this to the attention of anyone who is considering doing this swap. He also says it has the Novak clutch linkage. Which I didn't need on mine.

The ebay item number is 7998180089

5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2005, 06:08 PM   #2
sonoran

How's the swap coming along?
81 CJ5 frame-off rebuild - Chev 350 TBI/SM465/Dana300, Tom Woods driveshafts, Superior one-piece axles in 3.54 AMC20, Superior axle upgrades in Dana 30, Rancho OEM suspension parts, ARB lockers front and rear
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

It's going slow. I am still working on stripping the frame. Next time I will have it blasted for sure. Although I expect that all of this extra work will further cause me to never sell it. I cut off the rear cross member, the one that the bumper attaches to. The old one was rusty. Got a replacement one that is really nice, twice as thick as the original piece. Iím not sure how they can sell them for fifty bucks!
I decided on a GM crate engine instead of rebuilding the one that was in there. The leak down test was depressing so I took one of the heads off and the ridge at the cylinder tops is magnificent, majestic even!

I figure I have one more day of stripping and then I can start reassembly. I picked up the bombproof motor mounts and I think I will mock up the driveline using the old block (stripped of heads, pistons, crank etc) for easier handling. I am going to do the thing where you drill a larger hole in the frame and weld in a tube for the bolts to go through for additional strength. I want to be sure that everything lines up before I put the tubes in though. I suspect that the frame is bent a little and I donít want to find out later that the engine does not line up!

Also I still need to rebuild the Dana 300. I am thinking I will go with the JB conversions kit or the NOVAK one. I used the Novak sm465 kit on my trans. and that went okÖ
Unread 09-10-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
sonoran

Sounds like you are making good progress. I really like your idea about going the crate engine route. If I had it to do over, that is what I would have done. I spent enough rebuilding the engine I have to have made the purchase of a crate engine a wash.

I think you will like the MORE bombproof mounts. If things don't line up to your satisfaction with the frame bolt holes, you can fab up an adjustment plate between the engine and the mount plate. I think I sent you a photo that showed how I did this on my project. (??) Remember to allow the proper placement of the engine to determine everything else.

I also used the Novak adapter between the SM465 and the Dana 300. Worked perfectly.

Don't forget to reinstall your frame brace under the engine. I forgot to do that on my project and fortunately a mechanic friend pointed it out to me after I finished but before I went wheeling for the first time.

Keep posting some updates. I enjoy reading about swap and conversion projects. Always something to learn from the experiences of the group. Good luck.
81 CJ5 frame-off rebuild - Chev 350 TBI/SM465/Dana300, Tom Woods driveshafts, Superior one-piece axles in 3.54 AMC20, Superior axle upgrades in Dana 30, Rancho OEM suspension parts, ARB lockers front and rear

Last edited by sonoran; 09-11-2005 at 10:07 PM..
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

"frame brace under the engine" you say? Apparently the midnight butchers who did the original conversion left that out.

I got the rest of the wire wheel stripping done this weekend. Sure glad that is done!! My new welding helmet should arrive today. My sketchy harbor freight one crapped out so I decided to do my eyes a favor and get a nice one. So it will be re-assambly for a while.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.