Contour Fan won't fit??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Contour Fan won't fit???

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-09-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
johnson30
1978 CJ5 

Contour Fan won't fit???

My local jeep shop is trying desperately to get a dual contour fan to fit between the water pump pulley and radiator on my 78' CJ5 with 4.2L 258. But, no luck.

They have tried installing the radiator inside the grill (didn't work), the fan has been shaved down as much as possible, and is sitting flush with the radiator fins (it's in there as far as it will go, trust me!).

Is there some trick to getting this thing to fit?? What is preventing this fan from fitting???

johnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Some water pumps for the 4.2L have a taller profile, albeit not by much.

How close is it to fitting?
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
titomars
1981 CJ7 

I did this conversion last summer. Mine is an 81 CJ7 with a 258 and a heavy duty radiator (3 core). The only trimming to the contour fan assembly I did was chopping off some ears that were not needed on the top and bottom. Everything fit, tight but fit. The fan assembly has to fit in between the tanks against the core for enough clearance. I have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch clearance between the water pump pulley and the fan housing. I would like more clearance for my own piece of mind but i have been driving it a lot and its never touched.
81-cj7-101711-6-.jpg   81-cj7-101711-5-.jpg  
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

I just did mine with 2.75" of clearance from the core support bolt holes/rad mounting tabs/flange to the water pump/fan bolts. 3-core rad. I also had to dremel quite a bit.

What you want to make sure of is that the fan shroud is sitting against the cooling fins of the rad. This required some trimming of the contour shroud edge tabs and ribs (don't cut off the large mounting tabs) and some easy bending on the rad mounting flanges to spread them out enough to fit the shroud between them. I used some aluminum motorcycle tire irons to gently coax the fan shroud into the radiator. Don't trim the shroud edges themselves as they keep the fans from touching the rad fins. The ribs I'm talking about are on the bottom of the shroud. There is a small tab there also. I left mine on but you could cut the small tab that is in the center bottom off. I don't have a pic (sorry).

Once you get it in the radiator it virtually hold itself in place. I then used 4 bolts on the plastic shroud tabs to sandwich the shroud to the rad. I also used three of the zip straps that go thru the rad for extra holding power. I placed these in the center using existing holes in the shroud. I also used some nylon 1/2" spacers I found at Ace to keep the shroud tabs from bending when tightening the fan to the rad.

You want to assemble the unit as one and then slide it down into the mounting position.

Hope this helps.
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #5
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

Its tight but I have plenty of room for flex.
imag0858.jpg   imag0874.jpg  
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #6
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

In this pic you can see what I mean about the shroud fitting into the rad.
imag0887.jpg  
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #7
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

You can also see it well in this pic...

Unread 02-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
Outnumbered
1985 CJ7 

Tito and I appear to have used the same method, only he used washers. Here is mine...
imag0861.jpg  
Unread 02-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
titomars
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Tito and I appear to have used the same method, only he used washers. Here is mine...
Yes, the fender washers were left over for the PO. he had the radiator shimmed and angled so it had the same angle as the engine. I have no idea why..
titomars is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.