Contour fan... something to be said for dual fans. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Contour fan... something to be said for dual fans.

Jeep Gear & Install Packages!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 07-31-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Contour fan... something to be said for dual fans.

After about 2 years running my junkyard Contour fan one of the fans completely let loose while diriving yesterday. The fan itself came apart with plastic flying everywhere. Not sure if something bounced off the road into it or what. Sounded like a machine gun under the hood. I unplugged the busted fan and ran the rest of the way home on just one of the fans.

It was 100* yesterday when it went. Had to drive about 10 miles in traffic and the one fan was able to keep my temp at 215 - 220 max. It was working overtime and although my running temp was higher than I would have liked it got me home without over heating. Unfortunately it does not appear you can buy a replacement fan so I guess it is back to the junk yard.

VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:44 AM   #2
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

That is a plus of the dual fans. Makes ya wonder just what happened!

I'm trying to decide if I can fit a electric fan in there, it looks close for some reason that it might not fit in mine. I'm not sure if I want the single Taurus fan or the dual Contour one..

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Ummm...what's a "contour fan" and why is it preferred, especially if they break easily?

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 04:23 AM   #4
1983 CJ7 

Redundancy is cool

Matt,

A lot of guys get the Ford Contour fan from the junkyard, it is almost a perfect fit.

Unread 08-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
After about 2 years running my junkyard Contour fan one of the fans completely let loose while diriving yesterday. The fan itself came apart with plastic flying everywhere. Not sure if something bounced off the road into it or what. Sounded like a machine gun under the hood. I unplugged the busted fan and ran the rest of the way home on just one of the fans.

It was 100* yesterday when it went. Had to drive about 10 miles in traffic and the one fan was able to keep my temp at 215 - 220 max. It was working overtime and although my running temp was higher than I would have liked it got me home without over heating. Unfortunately it does not appear you can buy a replacement fan so I guess it is back to the junk yard.
-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1881CJ7 View Post
Ummm...what's a "contour fan" and why is it preferred, especially if they break easily?

Matt
Matt,
The electric fans take a TON of vibration and stress off the mechanical water pump to start with!
Pumps will last MUCH longer with electric fans.

Electric fans take a lot of drag off the engine in general.

Dual fans have 'Redundancy', if one quits, you don't loose the entire cooling system like you would if say, a fan clutch quit working and the fan wouldn't turn.

These fans are normally NOT failure prone!
The only failures I've seen are from crash damage, a crack you don't see when you install.
I don't know why the OP's fan came apart, but everything fails at some point, it's just a fact of life, and if you don't prepare for it, you WALK HOME.

With his 'Dual Fans', NO WALKING IN THE 100 Degree heat!
No $300 tow bill to get the vehicle home...
Unplug the 'Bad' fan and DRIVE HOME to work on it! REDUNDANCY is a WONDERFUL THING!

I honestly haven't heard of any failures like this unless the fan was cracked when they got the fan out of the salvage yard...
My 'little woman' had a Ford Taraus wagon that went 350,000 miles on the fans with NO ISSUES at all.
They are RELIABLE above all else, and the redundancy factor is a big plus!

------------------------------------

I preach REDUNDANCY, but people think it's 'Over Kill'...

I run two fans, two fuel pumps (Second fuel pump started out as an electric transfer pump so I could fuel farm equipment... Evolved into a secondary pump for the Jeep engine when the mechanical pump quit without warning one day and I didn't want to walk home!)

I have two batteries, that lets me get home when the alternator quits without carrying a second alternator,
And it helps out with welding, winching, tools, ect.

Since I have two batteries, I have two starter relays to feed the starter.
One battery or relay can be MISSING from the vehicle and it still starts/runs just fine!

Not as 'Pretty' or as 'Sexy' as a bunch of Chrome or crap with 'Skulls' printed on them, or stuff hung on there with big name brand stickers on it,
But it keeps me from walking home in the heat/snow and the vehicle gets a lot of work done on top of that!

Even my mechanical fan has an even number of blades.
If one is damaged, I can break it off, and the one opposite to it off and get home...

So far, none of the 'Support Systems' to the engine have left me walking in some time (Knock Wood! ) so it's working out for me...
Can't sell it as a home game, but it works for me!

The ONLY thing I haven't figured out is how to install two WATER PUMPS!
If the water pump fails, I'm SCREWED!
That's a pretty big job to do along side the road or in a mud pit somewhere!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #6
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

If I switch out my fan it will be for the contour fan. This is just one more +
Unread 08-02-2011, 01:17 AM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I find the CJ an easy vehicle to work on compared to anything post 1990, most things that break are easily accessible and are simple to understand. The only question then is whether I carry the spares or the tools.

Having two of something on the vehicle is fine, I mean I have five wheels for a burst tyre so why not? Having them ready mounted and plumbed is indeed a bonus but is this better than getting a more durable part?

However I agree the fuel pumps, ICMs, electric fans etc. are all unreliable to an extent, small in cost and size and for a small amount of effort can be duplicated. These are not Space Shuttles.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #8
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Found a replacement unit from a Mystique in the junk yard and the guy only charged me 25.00! I see why the other one failed. It looks like there may have been a crack in the fan I did not see when I installed. AND, apparently it had been rubbing slightly on the shroud. Took almost two years to fail. New one installed and now I have a spare set of motors in case one of those fail.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2011, 03:07 PM   #9
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

That's a pretty big job to do along side the road or in a mud pit somewhere![/QUOTE]

I realize you probably have already considered this but what are your thoughts on booster electric water pumps? Heres an example.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-content.aspx

Also I'm considering the Contour fan conversion along with a electric drive conversion, for the water pump, for mileage gain purposes and to cool down the engine when the engine is shut off. something like this.
http://www.jegs.com/i/B-B/128/54950/10002/-1?parentProductId=1538515

I figure I could keep the old pulley and belt in the jeep in case the electric motor quits. Maybe even add the booster pump for redundancy. Any thoughts?
berserk71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
batmn77
1982 CJ7 

anyone have a write up or pics of these fans installed?
batmn77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Several write ups on them, search around or start a thread asking for pictures of the Electric fan installs...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
duckbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserk71 View Post
That's a pretty big job to do along side the road or in a mud pit somewhere!
I realize you probably have already considered this but what are your thoughts on booster electric water pumps? Heres an example.

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Electric_Water_Pumps-content.aspx

Also I'm considering the Contour fan conversion along with a electric drive conversion, for the water pump, for mileage gain purposes and to cool down the engine when the engine is shut off. something like this.
http://www.jegs.com/i/B-B/128/54950/10002/-1?parentProductId=1538515

I figure I could keep the old pulley and belt in the jeep in case the electric motor quits. Maybe even add the booster pump for redundancy. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I didn't read the links but quick thinking here I don't know how many GPM you would need but if you put a T in the radiator hose and an adapter to T into the temp sensor hole you might be able to get a marine 12v water pump with a non rubber impeller and wire it like the fan to run after shut down to a certain temp, have it off, or continueous.
duckbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #13
berserk71
1977 CJ5 

Do you mean bilge pump? If so, I think that would work for a while but the high temperature and coolant might eat it up eventually. The link I posted also has some informative videos I would advise watching. It looks like they have it all figured out. I like the thermostat controller. It has a pulse mode for the water pump and activates the fan as well.

As for the Contour fan, I just purchased one. I was looking at the Taurus fan but this thread sold me on installing dual systems when ever possible.
berserk71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:30 AM   #14
duckbone

No not a bilge pump they are more like transfer pumps I don't think the heat would bother them they aren't plastic. Thinking again the sensor location wouldn't be a good spot for an inlet, maybe taking out a freeze plug and welding or tapping a bung in there with a pipe inlet so the water went in the bottom of the block and flowed up. At any rate you could tap into the block pretty much anywhere by drilling a hole a pipe thread tapping it. If you weren't going to use it just cap the pipe off. I wonder what the gpm rating on a stock water pump is? or maybe go by one of the ratings for an electric one that would probably be more than a stock pump. It's a back up system so even if it wouldn't run as normal but would run enough at low rpm to get you home would be the goal. A few options http://www.systemacc.com/catalog/ind...h/21_2138_2139
http://www.systemacc.com/catalog/ind...FcE42godvDJR7g
http://www.flojetshop.com/flojet-mar...-system-pumps/
duckbone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
82KansasCJ

1982 CJ7 

What years were the double Contour fans made?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.