Contour Fan Set-up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Contour Fan Set-up

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-06-2010, 11:16 AM   #1
StewartCJ7
1978 CJ7 

Contour Fan Set-up

I have a 78CJ7 with a AMC360, I am in the process of installing the Contour Dual fan set-up. My question is, I want to do this on the cheep side. I really just want to wire it to a toggle switch that I turn on/off everytime I use the jeep. Do I need relays/controller or can I just direct wire everything??

Thanks

StewartCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
CSP

You need relays at the very least so that the fan gets the full amperage that it requires. You also don't want that much amperage going through your switch.

Relays aren't expensive at all.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

The temp switch controllers can't be that bad either. less chance of forgetting to turn it on. Or just wire it to an ign power source thru a relay, so when the key is in 'Run' the fan is on. Less hassle, fewer switches to clutter dash.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

I would just buy the kit and be done with it.

I would not want to run that much amperage through a switch, and would not recommend manually operating the fan.

Running the fan all the time is not a good idea either by wiring it to the run position on the key.

You want the motor to have some heat in it or condensation will build up on the inside and destroy your motor and you'll have no heat in the winter.
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
SpencerC
1978 CJ7 

How many amps do the contour fans pull, together? I was looking at a fan control switch I found, its simple and easy and cheap. It has to be nothing fancy, the cj gets driven about once every 2 weeks, so this should do.

Only real questions I have is the setup has a AC override wire that goes to AC clutch. Any way I can wire this to a switch to force the fans to run? To ground or 12v?

2nd question, it also has an ignition cutoff switch, you wire it in so that it disables the system while cranking, what would I wire this to? The starter 12v?

This is the kit
AutoZone.com | | Cooling Fan Control | ELEC FAN CONTROL PUSH IN

Should work right?
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Amperage and other specs for the Contour dual fan can be found here: 33212 Information

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
SpencerC
1978 CJ7 

Looks like they pull up to 34amps, not sure what the kit I found can handle, but it seems a few other people are using it, so I think(read hope) itl work for what little use it sees.
Unread 01-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #8
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Or you could spend a bit more and get the FAL 31165

Flex-a-lite 31165 - Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Controllers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Unread 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

If it is A/C controlled, then I'd 'guess' it to be 12v - it'd probably be spliced into the compressor clutch power.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.