Continuing starting problem??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Continuing starting problem???

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #1
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Continuing starting problem???

I am continuing to have starting problems with my 304 V8.
I have done the full team rush upgrade last year.
A new rebuilt mc2100 carb
New fuel pump, new fuel filters installed before and after the fuel pump
New hoses, all new vac hoses ( can't find any vac. leaks)
New High Torque starter and new battery.
My problem is that I have to crank it over two , three times before it starts.
That is not always the case sometimes it starts quickly and other times it takes forever, it is mostly hard to start when warm ( I do have a spacer under the carb )
I am getting fuel in the carb when I depress the gas.
I have played with my timing and have had it anywhere between 8 and 12 degrees.
I have tuned the carb and get 20 on the vac gauge.
The jeep runs and idles awesome all day long.
I guess it could be vapor lock but my fuel filters only have an inlet and an outlet no return line on my '74
How do I get this jeep to start quickly???

sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Neuner-9R
1985 CJ7 

Sounds like you have everything right. I'm not familiar or experienced with the 304 but my 258 is the same way. Read on some other sites that even included various types of engines, that even when you have it all set up right, you have to click the key to the first stop to power the fuel pump, pump the gas a couple of times and then it will start right up. Hate that that is my solution but it's what I've been doing and works every time.
Neuner-9R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Not all fuel pumps are created equal...
I had the same issue with cold starts, changed the fuel pump and it started right up right away.
Turned out, the valves in the fuel pump were letting the fuel siphon back to the tank, so I had to pump fuel to the carb after it sat a while.

Another instance,
The ignition wasn't getting good voltage when cranking (Starter Relay).
Changed the starter relay and the problem vanished.
Now I check for voltage at the coil/module while cranking when I'm looking for this issue...

I had a 'Split Switch' ignition in here not too long ago with the same complaint.
Cranked forever, but when you snapped the key switch back to the 'Run' position quickly enough, it fired up.
Changed the ignition switch, Positioned it so the key switch rod/spring moved it to the correct 'Run' position and the problem disappeared.

Another case the choke flap was wedging in the air horn on the carb (Wear slotted what should have been round holes) and when you kicked the throttle it would start right up...

Could be a number of things...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Maybe ditch the filter before the pump.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuner-9R
Sounds like you have everything right. I'm not familiar or experienced with the 304 but my 258 is the same way. Read on some other sites that even included various types of engines, that even when you have it all set up right, you have to click the key to the first stop to power the fuel pump, pump the gas a couple of times and then it will start right up. Hate that that is my solution but it's what I've been doing and works every time.
Turning the key to the run position won't power up the OP's fuel pump, unless he installed a electric pump. And he said he has a MC 2100 carb.

OP, when you say you need to crank the enging 2/3 times, you didn't say how long your cranking the engine. Also, when starting a engine with a carb. The gas pedal needs to be depressed a little, if its over 15 minutes since the last start. This gives the engine a little shot of fuel when starting.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Thanks for responses guys much appreciated.
I have a mechanical fuel pump which I have changed out twice in the last month, thinking that the pump could be the problem.
Also changed the ignition switch, trying to cover the bases.
Today I installed new seat belts which meant that I had to remove the bench seat in the back to get to the bolts, I have a hole in the tub to access the fuel sending unit and found the rubber hose connected to the fuel line going back to the fuel pump was shot and had a nice size hole in it, I changed it out and took it for a ride and made a couple stops and it seems to have resolved the issue.
I will run it some more tomorrow and let you know if the problem is fixed.
sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.