Contemplating an engine swap.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Contemplating an engine swap....

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-02-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
wingedmare
1981 CJ5 

Contemplating an engine swap....

and I want to get all my ducks in a row before I make a decision. And then I want to be able to get my self set up step by step so I can acquire and prepare everything before doing the swap so my girl is out of service for as little as possible.

So, I will get to it. I have come in to a deal where I can get my hands on a Mercedes-Benz OM617 for pretty much a steal. While I can fix things on my CJ and what not I am NOT familiar with what engines will fit to what transmissions etc. Pretty much what I am asking is 1. What would I have to replace to make this swap work. 2. What would I be able to use that is already on her.

I really want to do this, but it has me anxious. I don't want to get in over my head mechanically or financially.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.