Connecting High Amp Draw Cables - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Connecting High Amp Draw Cables

Only 2 Days left to win $3,800 Jeep Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention seahawks fans!!! Want to save some $$$ ??!!

Unread 01-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
AeroMoto73
1973 CJ5 

Connecting High Amp Draw Cables

Fixing to start rewiring my winch and starter cables to the battery. My plan was to crimp both the winch and starter cables into one battery terminal lug. Solder and crimp them and use adhesive shrink wrap like is detailed in Jeep Hammer's post on cables.

My question really was, what size terminal lugs do I need to get to crimp 2 x 1/0 cables? Will the next size up (2/0) work to crimp 2 cables in, or do I need a 3/0 terminal? I'm also planning on putting a 10 or 8 awg cable on both the positive and negative lugs to tie into terminal blocks on my firewall for various power needs, so that may necessitate moving up to 3/0.

I plan to put a relay in for the winch (don't have one right now), so what's a good one to use? Ideally I'd get an identical starter and winch relay for redundancy - if the starter relay fails I can just hook up the winch relay to get out of a jam.

If I'm not able to tie 2 cables into one terminal lug, option B would be to run one cable to the starter relay, then run the winch cable off that same starter lug, essentially using the starter relay as a terminal box. Then run the winch cable to the other relay. Is this feasible, or am I just asking for trouble? In this scenario I'd still need to tie both grounds into one terminal, unless there's another way. Any thoughts?

AeroMoto73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

2 -1/0 cables do not make a 2/0 amp wise. That combo will equal a 3/0 wire for ampacity. I ran #2 weld cable to my winch and no problems.. As for lug size, two into one really isn't recommended, unless you have a 2-barreled lug.. Me? I run my winch feed from the starter solenoid.. .
Unread 01-25-2015, 06:57 PM   #3
AeroMoto73
1973 CJ5 

Thanks Zilla. I was wondering if that was good to go running the winch feed from the starter solenoid. What do you do about your ground to the winch?
AeroMoto73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Mine grounds to the frame. There is a bond wire between the block and frame on mine. If I were to run a ground I'd run it to the ground wire from the battery on the block.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.