Confused on what distributor I have - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Confused on what distributor I have

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
GoWest
1976 CJ7 

Confused on what distributor I have

Noob Here...so first Drinks are on me!

1979 258 I-6

I bought a project and started to do the "Team Rush" upgrade. But my distributor screw holes and recesses (for the screws to hold the distributor together) are 90 degrees from each other. All of the other pictures I have seen (and the spacer I bought) show the screws and recesses about 1-1/2 inches from each other.

Also my new rotor's groove is too wide to fit into the slot on this distributor.

I will try to add pics of what I have. I think the PO did away with any computer wiring too, but i will save that for another thread.

Unread 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
GoWest
1976 CJ7 

This must be a rare one... Any help is greatly appreciated.
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

That's a Prestolite distributor. You can't do the Team Rush upgrad on that one.

If you put an '80s Motorcraft distributor in the Jeep, you can do the upgrade but you'll need a different ignition box. It could be a good time to change to an MSD 6 series (or clone) ignition box.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:19 PM   #4
GoWest
1976 CJ7 

Thanks gojeepin! Are all of the 80's distributors the same (what year do I tell the parts store)? Is there anything else I would need besides the ignition box and the distributor (I already have the MSD Blaster 3 coil)?

Thanks Again
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
GoWest
1976 CJ7 

Would the street fire MSD work ($100 cheaper)?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2041_____

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2041_____
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
That's a Prestolite distributor. You can't do the Team Rush upgrad on that one.

If you put an '80s Motorcraft distributor in the Jeep, you can do the upgrade but you'll need a different ignition box. It could be a good time to change to an MSD 6 series (or clone) ignition box.
thats not a prestolite its a points distributor. I used to have the prestolite ignition and it is magnetic not points and condenser like that distributor. Outside of that I dont know the specifics. I changed mine out for a CRT HEI several years ago and havent looked back and havent stripped a cam gear either, I made sure it wasnt a hardened gear.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #7
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

I'm not sure they differentiate anymore (computer controlled timing and non-computer controlled). If they still do, '80 would be a good year.

The Street Fire is fine.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
Unread 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si View Post
thats not a prestolite its a points distributor. I used to have the prestolite ignition and it is magnetic not points and condenser like that distributor. Outside of that I dont know the specifics. I changed mine out for a CRT HEI several years ago and havent looked back and havent stripped a cam gear either, I made sure it wasnt a hardened gear.
Thanks... Delco perhaps. Neither is suitable for what the OP wants to do.

Wow... The last time I worked on points, it was on a '67 MGB about 32 years ago.

Unread 04-06-2011, 05:14 AM   #9
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

You have a couple of options.
1 You can do a swap and drop with an aftermarket HEI.
2 Convert the system using a Petronix electronic ignition upgrade
3 Do a complete electronic ignition swap by installing components from a donor vehicle.
The HEI is by far the easiest. Minimal wiring upgrades on this one. Just insure you have the proper cam gear.
The Petronix will allow you to revert back to the points if it goes bad and will use the existing Supercoil.
Without knowing what the PO left behind, it will be difficult to give advice as to reverting to stock.
If you plan to keep the points, install 8MM wires and open the plug gaps to .055. Also insure the PO installed a ballast resistor to keep the points from frying.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
You have a couple of options.
1 You can do a swap and drop with an aftermarket HEI.
2 Convert the system using a Petronix electronic ignition upgrade
3 Do a complete electronic ignition swap by installing components from a donor vehicle.
The HEI is by far the easiest. Minimal wiring upgrades on this one. Just insure you have the proper cam gear.
The Petronix will allow you to revert back to the points if it goes bad and will use the existing Supercoil.
Without knowing what the PO left behind, it will be difficult to give advice as to reverting to stock.
If you plan to keep the points, install 8MM wires and open the plug gaps to .055. Also insure the PO installed a ballast resistor to keep the points from frying.
Although he may be able to return everything, he has already purchased parts for a Motorcraft distributor upgrade. That's the path I was leading him through.

Like you, I like the Pertronix conversion for older distributors if you want the original look (like a vintage muscle car).

Unread 04-06-2011, 06:55 AM   #11
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You have an old style points distributor that is real easy to trail fix if it gets dirty or even real easy to just carry a spare set of points. Those systems worked for a lot of years....

Once you go electronics, then you need a whole box of spare parts if you plan on wheeling way back in the middle of nowhere, no parts to fix, just replace.

Just my $0.02
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #12
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojeepin View Post
Although he may be able to return everything, he has already purchased parts for a Motorcraft distributor upgrade. That's the path I was leading him through.

Like you, I like the Pertronix conversion for older distributors if you want the original look (like a vintage muscle car).
Thing only problem with attempting to revert to the stock electronic ignition is we don't know what if anything is left of the original wiring. This means that he may have to locate additional components and loom items. While doable, it may be cheaper and easier to go to an HEI or Petronix. I prefer the HEI as it is a simple one wire hook up. It also gives you an adjustable vac advance and parts can be found at any FLAPS. The Petronix gives the added security of having a redundant system in case something "strange goes on and it fails. Personally, I believe either of these options to be a much easier install than trying to hunt down or fabricate a stock replacement loom.
Just my .02
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1979 , 258 inline 6 , cj7 , distributor , team rush

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.