Confused on center caps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Confused on center caps

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 05-29-2008, 07:09 AM   #1
slcom1983

Confused on center caps

Hi folks:
Although I have had tinkered with my 1978 CJ-7 for over 10 years in my garage, I have just decided to finally begin a "light" restoration. I though it would be wise to join the forum (so I suppose that makes me a newbie). I searched the archives for my first problem but can't find a solution. Maybe one of you has had experience with this. I want to bring the CJ-7 back to as close to original as possible, so I will start with the wheels. All the OEM 8 spoke have the JEEP center caps that are tapered, even the open one in the front for the lock out. My lockout open center cap is completely cylinderical (about 3 3/4) and is marked "Perfect Circle" on the twist lock. What was used in 1978? The steel chrome spoke wheels I have look original. Any ideas?

Last edited by slcom1983; 05-29-2008 at 07:32 AM..
slcom1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:12 AM   #2
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Any pics? You can sign up at photobucket.com and post links to the pics here
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:23 AM   #3
slcom1983

Great idea. I just did that. The only picture I have is linked below. The resolution is very good so it can be zoomed very close to the front lockout. Hope this arrangement makes sense to someone. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...1983/78CJ7.jpg
Unread 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Very nice ride and welcome by the way. I'm no where near an expert, but the rims look original but the hubs look like they were swapped. I'm sure one of the many experts on hear can tell you for sure.
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm almost certain that those are NOT original rims, just aftermarket '8-spokes'. hard to tell from that one pic.

factory rims have a rolled edge around the cutouts, and the caps screw on from behind.

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
slcom1983

I think if I put original OEM 8 spoke wheels with the center caps on the back wheels they should work fine. But how could I use OEM 8 spoke on the front wheels with that cylinderical hub-lock and use the OEM open centercap? I am at work now but found a picture of the hub lock that are inside the cylinderical center cap that is there now. http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...circlehubs.jpg
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

most likely, yes, BUT, you need to know if they will fit.

that type of hub is very similar to another style called Selectro, where you can grab the entire assembly to turn and lock. I had those on my '57 CJ, and I fabbed a small handle that slid in each side of the hub to turn it inside the cab because i wanted to run full open caps up front. pretty simple.

FYI- you can also run factory caps with those rims, I think you just need to drill a couple of small holes to attched them. one of the members on here JUST posted pics a few days ago, I'll see if I can find the link, and you could PM him about the details.

the only other issue would be if it didn't physically fit in the opening

EDIT: here's the link, and upon closer inspection, I 'think' you'd need to go back to an orginal hub (or at least original sized hub)???

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/another-jeep-cj7-build-541569/

in any event, HTH

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
slcom1983

Thanks...I'm learning more and more.
Unread 05-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

The original CJ ones are fairly weak, I have blown out a bunch of them. Those sound aftermarket which will be a different size.

Your rims don't look stock, but if they are they will have 5 holes in them for the screws to come in from the back to hold the caps on.

Warn make a strong hub that will fit under the cap, but it has a round base. The stock one has a scalloped base to fit under the cap. The shop I bought mine from offered to machine the scallops into the warn one if I wanted, but I blew up the other side and blew the cap into bits so just gave up on them.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.