Confused . . . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Confused . . .

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
lmk3087
1977 CJ7 

Confused . . .

Okay, so I have been attempted to fix up a 77 CJ7 that I just bought, and I'm a little green. I have replaced and or cleaned all the usual suspects. While I was working on it, a fuel line sprung a leak, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace, but it raised an interesting question to me. The problem I have been having is that after revving, it has been stalling, though, I can keep it alive, if I stay on the gas, also, when I start her up, I typically have to pump the gas several times. Now here is what I was confused about. The line that sprung a leak, comes from a fixture? on the bottom front bottom right side of the engine, though the fuel filter, into the carb. That line only leaks when I attempt to start the Jeep up (while turning the key). When I pump on the gas, gas spurts into the carb, but doesn't cause leakage there? Could improper flow in the former tube be causing the stalling, and hence why if I pump the gas it'll stay running? Thoughts? please and thank you.

Last edited by lmk3087; 05-05-2010 at 10:50 AM..
lmk3087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
When you're pumping the accellerator pedal this pushes a lever on the accellerator pump, hence you see fuel being squirted into the throttle body. As the name implies this circuit is intended as boost for when you're overtaking another vehicle on the road. As you mentioned a leaking fuel line, there could be contaminants in the fuel line that may have plugged the fuel filter or the idle circuits. Did you find any rust, dirt or sand in the fuel line/filter? If so you may look at rebuilding your carberator. Best of luck
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
lmk3087
1977 CJ7 

Thanks turbogus. I didn't notice any debris in the fuel filter. Although the line itself looks pretty corroded, hence the leak. So when I push on the accelerator, fuel goes through a different line then? not the line where the leak is coming from?
Unread 05-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

Pics would help. If you use photobucket, you can post the link. By "fixture" do you mean the charcol canister? Or possibly where the charchol canister should have been and a PO removed it with some shoddy garage plumbing. I've seen that a few times lately.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 03:22 PM   #5
jalves3

1967 CJ5 

I am totally unfamiliar with your setup but I will try and give some general help. Any defects in the fuel line before the fuel pump can allow air to be drawn in (even if they do not leak at rest) and cause fuel starvation at anything above idle. A partially plugged line will also cause the same symptoms. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what is gong on and if there is a pressure problem, start at the tank and work to the carb. Check 1 component at a time.
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #6
lmk3087
1977 CJ7 

lol, good advice all around, i don't think PO did anything, almost everything on this is stock, its really neat. I like the one by one jalves. I may be a little ignorant, but that sounds like a good idea, and I shall try my best. I checked the tank, and cleaned the venturi, but that is it so far, other than other standard maintenance.

Here are some pictures, starting from the fuel filter, going down, the fourth is where the leak is, and the fifth is the "fixture".

New Baby pictures by lmk3087 - Photobucket
Unread 05-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
jalves3

1967 CJ5 

The "fixture" is the fuel pump. Everything between it and your tank operates on suction (it pulls gas to the pump) and everything after is under pressure.
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
lmk3087
1977 CJ7 

neat jalves. when I push on the gas, does it go through the fuel pump/filter and so on, if so, why would it not leak when I push on the gas? also, do you think the stalling after revving could be caused by a bad fuel pump?

Tags
carburetor , stalling , stalling at stop , start , trouble

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.