complete jeep noob really needs some advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > complete jeep noob really needs some advice

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 06-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
ctecte

complete jeep noob really needs some advice

I recently acquired a very stock 1974 CJ5 which was not driven very much over the last 20 yrs. Although I've driven many types of vehicles over the years I feel like a terrible driver in this thing. I saw some posters refer to the death wobbles on another topic and feel like this is my problem. Driving it on the road at speeds over 40-45 i have a hard time keeping it in the lane. On the Hwy at 60 -65 was pretty darn scary at times. Is this common for this type of jeep? Is there a way or part that i can install that will make this easier to drive on the road? Thanks in advance for the input!

ctecte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #2
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

You really need to go over all the bushings and normal wear points ball joints tie rod ends etc. I'm not so sure you got the death wobbles that feels like you're in a paint shaker.
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:36 PM   #3
ctecte

no it doesnt feel at all like a paint shaker but its just very hard to keep it steady in the lane especially at speed. maybe the camber needs to be adjusted?
ctecte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #4
ASteve
Web Wheeler

1972 CJ5 

Fill out your profile so we can see what you have on your jeep. Lifts and longer than stock shackles can mess up your caster which will make your jeep wonder everywhere...

SC
Unread 06-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Before they "release the hounds" on you for not doing enough searching, read the following PDF that I borrowed from gojeepin. Unfortunately, this is a topic that affects us all at some point and it raises it's ugly head on the forum about once a week. I hope this helps. It sure helped me.

Wandering? Read: Steering, suspension, and driveline basics. An article on how it works and where to look for problems.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.