Comp cam in 360 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Comp cam in 360

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-22-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
kmm

Comp cam in 360

In the process of having an AMC 360 re-built, the donor motor was from a 1979 Cherokee Chief. I chose the Comp. cam 268h with timing set. The machinist had to get new retainers and locks for this motor/kit for it to work? Is this common? Anyone have first hand experience with this motor and cam kit. Chose this kit becouse of research and reccomendations from Comp.

Thanks

kmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
lanecj5
1980 CJ5 

The 268 is not a very radical cam.Nice lopy idle,very good throttle response.Small enough you can still use ac and do not need a canister to hold air for the power brakes.When you say locks,Was he refering to the locks and hold downs for the exh. and int. valves in the heads.This cam change is really straight forward...You can do this cam and lifter change in a day with air tools and one person helping you.No need to remove the heads.Just rockers and pushrods.
lanecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #3
swatson454
Mall-crawlin' Hot Rodder

1983 CJ7 

I don't have any first-hand 360 experience but some Chevy Vortec heads sometimes have clearance issues between the guide boss and the spring retainers. If that's what he meant, it's no big deal.

Shawn
Unread 04-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
dharmabum
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good choice on the cam, used the sane one in the 360 in my old Commando, it was from a waggy but can't remember the year off hand. I did not need to change anything special for it though but there could be some interference, doesn't sound like a big issue.
dharmabum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

I wonder if he's talking about OFFSET retainers and/or locks to move the retainer down and top of stem up.
Have been told, and noticed after that it's true, that stems don't stick up very much at all on AMC v8, and if rocker arm hits retainer and unkeys something, bad news.
Unread 04-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #6
kmm

Yeah it wasn't a big issue but I was just a little curious? Glad to hear it was a good cam choice. Thanks for the help and responces!
kmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar408 View Post
I wonder if he's talking about OFFSET retainers and/or locks to move the retainer down and top of stem up.
Have been told, and noticed after that it's true, that stems don't stick up very much at all on AMC v8, and if rocker arm hits retainer and unkeys something, bad news.
Bingo

The same can be said of all of the AMC Jeep engines. It reflects a mark of a good machinist/engine builder that will recommend if not insist on this modification.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #8
TsCJ779

If you don't like the 268H I got a 270H for sale.
TsCJ779 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.