Combining leaf packs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Combining leaf packs

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Combining leaf packs

I was wondering when people make their own leaf packs by combining different packs for a stretch if they are basically just adding the main leaf from a longer pack for a stretch. Is it basically, for example, taking say an XJ or Waggie main leaf and replacing your existing main leaf in ur current leaf pack? Can I replace my current main leaf in my spring pack, Black Diamond 3", with a Waggie main leaf for the stretch and still maintain the ride height? I'd like to stretch it a little while doing my axle swap but I don't have the funds to buy new packs. Thanks

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Seriously? No one?

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

I used 4 YJ and 2 XJ to create my own custom spring pack. I have had no issues to date. I would think as long as they are the same width, feel freee to mix and match.
Unread 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
pagnani
1983 CJ7 

If you do a search for "Blazer Bastard Pack" you should see a few options that are popular with the YJ crowd. Other than than, I know nothing.
Unread 01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

I'm just looking to see if I can swap my main leaf in my lifted spring pack for a longer main leaf for the stretch.

Unread 01-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
CSP

I would think you would want the entire longer leaf pack or you won't be putting even pressure on the main leaf as the suspension cycles.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

CSP--- I know you're a wealth of great knowledge. So will you explain to me what u mean by that?

Unread 01-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #8
CSP

Every leaf in the longer pack will be longer than the corresponding leaf in a shorter pack. If you have one long main leaf and suddenly go to short leafs you have a lot of main leaf area that doesn't have shorter leafs under it. The lengths in a leaf pack slowly taper from longest to shortest. You don't want a huge jump in length from your main leaf to the next one in the pack.

I could be completely wrong about this, but that's what crosses my mind on the subject.
Unread 01-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #9
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Ok I get that. So what about adding maybe the main and second leaf from the longer pack and replacing the main leaf in the existing lifted pack? That would minimize the jump in length from the main leaf to the next leaf and so on. Do you think that would minimize the lift spring lift? Or do you think that would work? Thank you again.

Unread 01-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
CSP

It might. You'll have to approach that one as trial and error.
Unread 01-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #11
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

Fair enough. Thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.