Colorado Emissions: High CO's (Air Fuel Mixture) slightly higher but Failed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Colorado Emissions: High CO's (Air Fuel Mixture) slightly higher but Failed

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
SomerJeep

Colorado Emissions: High CO's (Air Fuel Mixture) slightly higher but Failed

I am helping a friend get their Jeep emissioned however they have never had to have it done since they've lived outside the denver area. Now they moved and the Jeep needs to pass.

Here are the numbers:

Limits 1.20

2500 rpm = .9

idle = 1.37

How can we reduce the COs?

Unread 08-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
LibertyJeeper
1985 CJ7 

What is the timing set at?
What year is thee jeep?
Looking for axles 4.10's or higher
LibertyJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:31 PM   #3
scott78cj5

1978 CJ5 

Me too Friday 8/12/11: Came from Tucson a month ago, no emissions hassles there at all. Now here in Denver - an hour ago just went down in flames at the station.

Besides the numbers I need: catalytic converter and an air injection system. Then we get to:

Pass - HCPPM 2500rpm = 837.3, idle=365.1, limit 400

Fail - CO 2500rpm = 0.68, idle = 5.45, limit 1.5

NA? - CO2 2500rpm = 11.5, idle = 11.2 (there was no pass/fail indicated here)

Before the test I had the pcv and temp control switch plugged, it is/was running as good as it ever has. Just before the test I pulled over and re-hooked up those things. It started to stink and rough idle. Maybe I should have left it, but wondered if it then would be an equipment fail. Well, got one anyway.

fyi after I had got to denver and higher altitude I took my edelbrock 1404 manual choke apart about 5 times before I got the right mix of metering rods, springs, and jets. Running awesome. Based on smell at the station though, running too rich seems a certain contributor to fail. Can the hook up of pcv/temp switch made that difference? Might have failed anyway who knows. PCV, EGR, temp control switch are all new. Canister (carbon?) isn't hooked up from what I can tell.

Maybe I just do the equipment fixes then get to the other stuff.

I am doing more and more work myself but this stuff is out of my league. In the Denver area (northwest) any tips for a mechanic appreciated.

Thanks. -sm
scott78cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
scott78cj5

1978 CJ5 

1978 CJ5 304. I set the timing about 6 months ago and forgot where at. Was a number recommended by mechanic. What a dork owner, I forgot the timing setting. Oh well getting sharper I guess.
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott78cj5 View Post
Me too
I'm surprised you didn't get dinged for the Edelbrock carb.

If I were you, I'd scratch it all and go fuel injected. THAT is something that you can do, and you're moving forward instead of backwards. It may cost you more in the short run, but you'll be nickle and dimed for the next decade if you try to go back to original. You'll still need a cat and a connected canister, but not the air tubes.

Never thought I'd recommend that, I love the simplicity of carbs, but the regs can be a headache that's not worth fighting against.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
scott78cj5

1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm
If I were you, I'd scratch it all and go fuel injected.
Hey wow I have no prob with that idea. Feel the same about carbs but this:

"it may cost you more in the short run, but you'll be nickle and dimed for the next decade if you try to go back to original"

is a sobering thought. Am in Denver for good now.

(posting from phone not sure what that's gonna look like)
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Do a search, ask for other opinions, by all means. I was hesitant at first, but FI was the only way to stay on the roads for me. I have back-up pieces if I ever want to do a real resto, but as far as equipment that is going to last a while, a TBI kit will be easier to maintain than an old carb - both as far as parts and adjustments. I sailed through emissions, most will say the same thing.

I do miss the simplicity of the carb, though. I love to tinker and it's honestly been a little depressing over the past few months since I installed fuel injection - I haven't hardly had to look under the hood for anything!
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
Alby63
1982 CJ5 

http://www.automotiveu.com/zack5gas.htm
Unread 09-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #9
scott78cj5

1978 CJ5 

Fuel injection (howel tbi) should be done Wednesday, then the assault on CO emissions. I'll let you know.
Unread 09-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
CSP

Don't look for EFI to make the catalytic convertor requirement go away. It still has to be there.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.