cold weather, stuck in gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cold weather, stuck in gear

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-17-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

cold weather, stuck in gear

I have a 64 CJ5, I had to park it outside overnight and now I can't move any of the shifters, transfercase, shfiter etc, so I can't start it cause it won't get out of first. it's like 20 degrees outside, could that be the cause?

awalp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
79cj7reny
1979 CJ7 

You should still be able to push the clutch in and disengage the tranny to start it. If you can get it started and warmed up things might free up for you. Real cold weather can thicken the fluid (so to speak) and make it harder to shift. It's also possible that there is water in the fluid and the water has frozen.(Unlikely if you've changed the fluids) If pushing the clutch in won't disengage the tranny then something else is going on (maybe clutch disc stuck to the flywheel)
79cj7reny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:08 PM   #3
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj7reny
You should still be able to push the clutch in and disengage the tranny to start it. If you can get it started and warmed up things might free up for you. Real cold weather can thicken the fluid (so to speak) and make it harder to shift. It's also possible that there is water in the fluid and the water has frozen.(Unlikely if you've changed the fluids) If pushing the clutch in won't disengage the tranny then something else is going on (maybe clutch disc stuck to the flywheel)
A step farther. Up in the big AK, it is routine to swap out box (not diff) 90WT with 50WT. This greatly aids in cold weather shifting.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
jeepdaddy2000
1971 CJ5 

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...t+transmission
A bit more on the subject. A hot topic on the Binder boards.
jeepdaddy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
Mr.Crowley
1980 CJ7 

I remember here a few years back a fellah that would have to jack up the rear end and start it in gear to let the tranny warm up..I remember also it was mighty cold..

What I would try,and Im not by anymeans advocating this to do..
I would try to start in gear if it happens to start I would put it around for a bit till I was able to change gears..
"offroad it, and wave then you might understand"[/QUOTE]
BLS Home Chapter... Where it all Started
:hahaha: yj

My low Buck Rock Crawler project Project..Stop by and check it out..[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497896"][B][COLOR="DarkOrange"]The lizzard Queen[/COLOR][/B][/URL]
Mr.Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

it's not going to be a cold weather jeep, but I usually put it in neutral to start it, (just to be safe), it should start in gear, but it's old
Unread 12-18-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

just for an update, it was maybe 15-20 degrees, and it wouldn't even move with the clutch pushed in on a decent grade hill, but it got up to 40 and everything is fine again. that's in Fahrenheit for the non-US guys
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:40 AM   #8
No_Bs
1977 CJ5 

Their could be water in the oil that freezes up, may be something to at least check.
Unread 12-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalp
just for an update, it was maybe 15-20 degrees, and it wouldn't even move with the clutch pushed in on a decent grade hill, but it got up to 40 and everything is fine again. that's in Fahrenheit for the non-US guys
I would 'sure' be looking for water contamination everywhere!

Water gets in easy. If there is an oil leak, water will go in on submerged crossings, the water pressure is higher than any internal pressures.

I use a semisynthetic in my tranny and t-case for easier winter shifting but still never has a seize with the old gear oil. My Jeep sees and runs at -40 lots. C or F. ;-)
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:24 AM   #10
awalp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

definitely will check the fluids, that would mean both the transmission and transfer case froze, the clutch also would not disengage and let the car roll down a hill? water on the clutch?
Unread 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #11
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Cold weather does weird things. The Jeep not rolling down hill with the clutch depressed could mean the brake shoes/pads are frozen to the drums/rotors. They can usually be broken loose by just putting in gear (once the engine is running) and moving a little.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.