JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   cold weather, stuck in gear (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cold-weather-stuck-gear-497020/)

awalp 12-17-2007 03:40 PM

cold weather, stuck in gear

I have a 64 CJ5, I had to park it outside overnight and now I can't move any of the shifters, transfercase, shfiter etc, so I can't start it cause it won't get out of first. it's like 20 degrees outside, could that be the cause?

79cj7reny 12-17-2007 04:01 PM

You should still be able to push the clutch in and disengage the tranny to start it. If you can get it started and warmed up things might free up for you. Real cold weather can thicken the fluid (so to speak) and make it harder to shift. It's also possible that there is water in the fluid and the water has frozen.(Unlikely if you've changed the fluids) If pushing the clutch in won't disengage the tranny then something else is going on (maybe clutch disc stuck to the flywheel:dunno:)

jeepdaddy2000 12-17-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79cj7reny
You should still be able to push the clutch in and disengage the tranny to start it. If you can get it started and warmed up things might free up for you. Real cold weather can thicken the fluid (so to speak) and make it harder to shift. It's also possible that there is water in the fluid and the water has frozen.(Unlikely if you've changed the fluids) If pushing the clutch in won't disengage the tranny then something else is going on (maybe clutch disc stuck to the flywheel:dunno:)

A step farther. Up in the big AK, it is routine to swap out box (not diff) 90WT with 50WT. This greatly aids in cold weather shifting.

jeepdaddy2000 12-17-2007 04:14 PM

http://www.binderbulletin.org/forums...t+transmission
A bit more on the subject. A hot topic on the Binder boards.

Mr.Crowley 12-17-2007 04:22 PM

I remember here a few years back a fellah that would have to jack up the rear end and start it in gear to let the tranny warm up..I remember also it was mighty cold..

What I would try,and Im not by anymeans advocating this to do..
I would try to start in gear if it happens to start I would put it around for a bit till I was able to change gears..

awalp 12-17-2007 04:23 PM

it's not going to be a cold weather jeep, but I usually put it in neutral to start it, (just to be safe), it should start in gear, but it's old

awalp 12-18-2007 10:25 PM

just for an update, it was maybe 15-20 degrees, and it wouldn't even move with the clutch pushed in on a decent grade hill, but it got up to 40 and everything is fine again. that's in Fahrenheit for the non-US guys

No_Bs 12-19-2007 10:40 AM

Their could be water in the oil that freezes up, may be something to at least check.

Mike Romain 12-19-2007 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awalp
just for an update, it was maybe 15-20 degrees, and it wouldn't even move with the clutch pushed in on a decent grade hill, but it got up to 40 and everything is fine again. that's in Fahrenheit for the non-US guys

I would 'sure' be looking for water contamination everywhere!

Water gets in easy. If there is an oil leak, water will go in on submerged crossings, the water pressure is higher than any internal pressures.

I use a semisynthetic in my tranny and t-case for easier winter shifting but still never has a seize with the old gear oil. My Jeep sees and runs at -40 lots. C or F. ;-)

awalp 12-19-2007 11:24 AM

definitely will check the fluids, that would mean both the transmission and transfer case froze, the clutch also would not disengage and let the car roll down a hill? water on the clutch?

OldSailor 12-19-2007 11:44 AM

Cold weather does weird things. The Jeep not rolling down hill with the clutch depressed could mean the brake shoes/pads are frozen to the drums/rotors. They can usually be broken loose by just putting in gear (once the engine is running) and moving a little.

The time now is 06:10 PM.