Cold Weather Stall. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cold Weather Stall.

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140

Unread 10-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

Cold Weather Stall.

Okay so i have a 258, with a rebuilt carb. Bought the Jeep in March of this year and don't know to much. Had a weber carb and was stalling mid drive at random times and was hard to start period. I don't know enough about Jeeps to rebuild a carb so had it redone. Got the carb back and it worked great all summer long. Well weather started getting colder (ohio) and the Jeep is harder to start and starting to stall again (just shuts off when I am driving and is hard to start back up). Any ideas as to why this might be happening. Fuel filter is new and carb is set up right. Need some help because I took it out about a week ago at night and couldnt get it started again from dinner/. Pretty basic knowledge on my end so simple answers would help. Couldn't find too many similar posts so thought I would start my own, and I did search around quite a bit on JF.

hagan39 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

bump......
Unread 10-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

it sound like it is jetted 2 lean and the fast idle may need to be adjusted if you have trouble with a true cold first start. most webers need a fuel presure regulator due to the inconsistant psi out on mechanical fuel pumps.

is it a factory weber? or an after market 34/34 32/36 or 38/38

check your plugs see if they are fouled out or not i'ld change them an drive around and check what they look like after a day or 2 if they are dark you are too rich or have oil more then likely with the thicker colder air you are proly running a lean mix and the plugs will look white to light tan

also if they rebuilt the carb and set the float level incorrectly it will fuel cut under a hard throttle

i have aweber 38/38 dgas and i put it on last fall ran great but then when it got cold cold like snow it was way too lean and need to be jetted now it runs fine
83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Does your choke close when go to start it for the firs time?

Doesn't explain why it just dies though but that may be another problem.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
nicknoty
1983 CJ7 

yes i have an electrict choke the blade should be closed at a cold start if the sensor is bad on your engine it could throw false ohms and mess the choke up if you to have electric.

it could die for a number of reasons
83 cj7, white/pearl w/ black trim - 99'ax-15/clocked dana 300 twin sticked - 4"RC lift - HD shackles - 33X10.5 bfg mt's on micky' T 15" classic 2s - HD tierod flipped - custom bumpers with d-rings - winch - flowmaster - obd1 efi swap - 4.6L strocker with com smooth idle cam. soon to be:
rear disc brakes,front and rear tube fender flares and better sliders, 3.0L mercedes turbo diesel power
nicknoty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

Nicknoty have the 32/36 so I will look into your suggestions. May have to go out and get myself a weber book just so I feel comfortable with what I am doing. I have read some different write ups on those regulators and also on checking the plugs so that might be the first place i look to remedie this one. Thanks for the posts guys.
Unread 10-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

will have to double check on the choke, didn't think about that one.
Unread 10-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Also although this is a simple thing,you said it was fine in the warm weather and now that it's cool it's getting harder to start.

Is the heat stove pipe connected to the air cleaner ? This will warm up the carb on cold mornings and may solve the issue if it's missing.

T

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagan39 View Post
Okay so i have a 258, with a rebuilt carb. Bought the Jeep in March of this year and don't know to much. Had a weber carb and was stalling mid drive at random times and was hard to start period. I don't know enough about Jeeps to rebuild a carb so had it redone. Got the carb back and it worked great all summer long. Well weather started getting colder (ohio) and the Jeep is harder to start and starting to stall again (just shuts off when I am driving and is hard to start back up). Any ideas as to why this might be happening. Fuel filter is new and carb is set up right. Need some help because I took it out about a week ago at night and couldnt get it started again from dinner/. Pretty basic knowledge on my end so simple answers would help. Couldn't find too many similar posts so thought I would start my own, and I did search around quite a bit on JF.
Hagan,

I have a few ideas for you but Weber Carb or any carb and "simple" do not go too well together if get the idea. I do have a few ideas for you.

CK your choke operation and that the 12V power is still on the choke tab
1... next cold start in the AM take the air cleaner off and look at choke, should be partial open.
2...Then your start procedure should be 2 full gas pedal cylces very slow, this sets the choke and pumps two swirts of gas into throat of carb. Have a helper press the gas pedal as said and you can watch. The choke should set full closed and when you start up HIGH Idle should be 1500 rpms in warm summer and 1800/2000 rpms when colder like later fall & winter.
3.. Choke Plate should open with the 12V to the tab on choke... This is a bimetal spring and the 12V makes it hot over time like a mini heater and gradually opens the choke. So after 1 min of HIGH Idel tap the pedal to rev engine some 2500 or so just brief. This will knock the HIGH Idel down some. After 3-5 min that choke should be all the way open and may take the gas pedal rev to release the cam/High Idel.

4.. You may have a water jacketed manifold... Coolant heats this up
Also then there is a electric heater under the carb, this helps too... AFter 2-3 min of running feel this disk heater, should be warm to the touch and the rest of intake will be cold from fuel evaporation. If you have the water jacket intake both these will help a great deal during cold mornings.

5.. If you have a heat rizer manifold... it needs to be lubricated so it moves freely as regular PM. There is also a bimetal spring on one side to make it work right. So ck that too.

Webers need the Low Pres Holley Regulator, only get the holley one. The other brands are garbage. You will see this in the link too.

6.. I would ck your plugs to ck each cylinder is working/fire and good general way to see how things are working. The link at the end will have spark plug reading guide with pics.

7.. I would consider the TEAMRUSH upgraded cap & rotar.... esp if you have a alumium terminal cap now.... I bet you do... alumium oxides are not conductive and will mess your igntion up.. hard start and stalls. So maybe time for Tune UP Parts... TEAMRUSH all the way. Do your aux grounds too... All in the write up below.

I do not feel you will be too lean with a Weber 32/36 if anything they are normally over rich. Looking at your plugs will tell you. I would not adjust your carb as for settings till you get your ignition, Cap, grounds and stuff done first. You can verify the screw setting Turns but put them back to start and record in notebook.

From my experience of having lots of guys post like you this is generaly several little things that can contribute to poor running. Heck you fuel filter could even be pluged if you do not know when it was changed last.... change it.

The Weber Tune & Jet Change will also show you how to ck and verify your WEber e choke is working right. Show how to tune and so forth

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/we...-258-a-631105/
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #10
BioTex
2006 TJ Wrangler 

FJGUERCIO,

I know this is a picky point, but you stated:

"The choke should set full closed and when you start up"

Actually it is a tad bit open. You should be able to insert an 1/8" drill bit between the choke plate and carb inlet front wall (for lack of the correct part name). Completely closed would shut off all air.
Eric
06' TJ Rubicon, 4" R.C. springs, BFG/AT 35s M.C. 6" fenders, rockers and surrounds, Currie front & rear adj. tracbars, tattons DC rear shaft, adj. upper - lower CA's. Bilstein 5100's
YJ Buggy Build Current project. Stroker/FI ?
1990 MJ Comanche 4.0L AX15/np231
BioTex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioTex View Post
FJGUERCIO,

I know this is a picky point, but you stated:

"The choke should set full closed and when you start up"

Actually it is a tad bit open. You should be able to insert an 1/8" drill bit between the choke plate and carb inlet front wall (for lack of the correct part name). Completely closed would shut off all air.
Eric

BioTex,

Just took a peek at my Weber 34 not the Posters 32/36 but it is a 2 barrel Carb and the Choke Plate does snap closed all the way. Choke only covers primary side, not sure if High Idle opens the secondary or not. Mine works great.

I did not write the Choke Set actually there was a very good link on that WEBER CHOKE SETTING and I just refer readers / posters to that. It was well done. You can both look there if you want more info.

I have heard the small drill bit gap on choke setting many times. Do not remember if weber uses that or not.

The poster said his skills are weak so not sure if would catch that or not. Cking the general working function is VERY important at this time. Same with cking each cylinder plugs and doing the aux grounds.

Thanks again,
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.