Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cold Starts?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr.Crowley 
#1 ·
Hey All-

I recently replaced my carb on my 1976 CJ5 with the 258. The engine runs great now - no more rough idle.. sounds very smooth.

The problem is.. its been around 10º or so at night. When I go to start the CJ.. it cranks and cranks and cranks... so I stop for a second.. crank crank crank.. and after some time it finally fires up.

I've checked the choke and it seems to be completely closed when the engine is cold.. anywhere else I can check?

#4 ·
No it isn't completely closed. It won't close all the way. The engine doesn't sound that labored trying to start up. I thought it might be the battery.. it was in the Jeep when I bought it.. has a Sep 2006 manufacturer stamp.

I'd say by the time I come home at lunch and try to crank it.. its about 25º. I was just concerned it was something with the new carb... since it always fired right up (then again it was always over 50º then).

So common prob.. no worries?

#5 ·
I had the same problem right after I put in my Weber 34/34 carb...felt like there was no gas getting to the carb. What carb did you put in? I found that all the tugging and pulling on the fuel lines during the swap put a tiny pin-hole in my fuel line running from the tank. Hard to find the problem...easy fix. Just like a jeep!

#6 ·
You're leaving some pretty valuable info out.

What carb did you pull out? What carb did you put in? What type of choke?

I had a 258 with a Weber and then bought a used 258 engine with a Carter YF Carb on it. The Weber was fine but the Carter had problems during our first cold spell this year. I ended up having to have it adjusted and now it starts right up.

You might consider a battery blanket if you're worried about the battery.

#7 ·
for some reason webers seem to leech fuel when shut off for a few days..What it is I have no idea..Thats the only thing I have not figured out on a weber..

#8 ·
Hey guys.. thanks for the replies.

I replaced the stock Carter YF with a re manufacturer Carter YF. The original had a hot air choke with electronic assist. The re manufacturer carb is the same, but without the electronic assist.

At first I thought not hooking up the emissions electronic choke assist was the problem, but I put the old electronic assist choke control on the new carb and still no go.

Keep in mind that after a bit of cranking it eventually starts... if I shut it off it will turn right back on after the first start. It runs smooth once its going.

I will replace the battery and see if that is the problem...

#9 ·
I have a remanufactured Carter YF Carb on mine as well. I was having problems with it running rough and being slow starting. I had it adjusted when she just stopped running on me one day.

Now I pump the pedal once or twice, hold it to the floor and she starts right up.

I still plan on having the two barrel Weber carb off my old original 258 put back on but that's a whole lot of work for later. I might not do it if the fix from jeephammer (using a Ford adapter, Ford distributer, etc) works out for me and I start to get better mileage.

#10 ·
Yep, I had problems starting mine until I upgraded the ignition system. I'm running the YF also with a mechanical choke and it starts right up if I drive it daily. Carbs kinda worn now the throttle bushings are worn giving me a leak around the throttle shaft and the bowl empties if I let it sit for two long. Need a new carb. You just can't get a million accerations out of them any more.

Soludetree, if your planning on dumping that YF let me know, I might buy it off ya...

#11 ·
solitudetree said:
You're leaving some pretty valuable info out.

What carb did you pull out? What carb did you put in? What type of choke?

I had a 258 with a Weber and then bought a used 258 engine with a Carter YF Carb on it. The Weber was fine but the Carter had problems during our first cold spell this year. I ended up having to have it adjusted and now it starts right up.

You might consider a battery blanket if you're worried about the battery.
2X on what he said!

Water/Anti-freeze heaters (NO OIL HEATERS!) and battery blankets are the best thing you can do in cold weather...

Tune the choke, and make sure you fuel filter return line is ON TOP of the filter arrangement.
If it's on bottom (6 O'clock position) it's siphoning off the fuel from the float bowl.

#12 ·
JeepHammer.. you mentioned that I should tune my choke.. how exactly do I do that? Do you mean turn the thermal coil choke assembly to the right or left? I can put more tension on the spring that way.

Also I will turn my fuel filter.. as the return line is in the 9 oclock position... I will make that more to the 12 oclock.

#13 ·
Hybrid Jeep said:
JeepHammer.. you mentioned that I should tune my choke.. how exactly do I do that? Do you mean turn the thermal coil choke assembly to the right or left? I can put more tension on the spring that way.

Also I will turn my fuel filter.. as the return line is in the 9 oclock position... I will make that more to the 12 oclock.
Depends on if the choke is pulling off correctly, or engauging when it's cold correctly...
Since I don't have a tech thread with pics on that particular carb, I'm not going to be much help!

Maybe someone else here can post pics or a website link?

#14 ·
#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.