Cold engine runs ruff untill choke opens - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Cold engine runs ruff untill choke opens

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Lgleason
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cold engine runs ruff untill choke opens

When the engine(4.2L) with stock carb is cold and the choke sets to the closed position the engine runs very rough and almost dies if driven before it warms up enough to open the choke. This seems just the opposite of what it should be doing. I'm thinking of a new carb but this just doesn't sound like that's the problem. Any ideas?

Last edited by Lgleason; 01-21-2010 at 03:40 PM..
Lgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
dangjeep
1984 CJ7 

This was happening to me recently, I found that my choke was closing too much and not letting in enough air. So I backed it off a little more and now is all good.

84 CJ7-258-T5-D300-4.10 gears 33" tires Nutter Bypassed Team Rushed
dangjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.