Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cold air intake for MC2100 carb

4K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  Jim1611 
#1 ·
Trying to find the connection that sits on top of the MC2100 carb to allow a remote air filter @ tube set up. I saw on here a few years back a unit that looked like a small round air cleaner that had a 4" tube outlet so you could connect a remote air intake to it, can't find it again, I looked on Summit no luck there either. I'm hoping someone on here has a MC2100 with remote filter, thanks for the help and any advise or pictures. The MC2100 has a top 5-1/8" to mount to.

#3 ·
we'll I couldn't find anything for the MC2100 so I started to hand bend some aluminum coil stock I had and a section of 6" galvanized duct pipe. Got it fitting pretty good. Inside is a 6"x3" round paper filter for now. In the end I'll keep the 6" round filter as long as cold intake air is coming in that the filter on the carp should be fine. I have some ESP (foil bubble wrap) that after I put a few more screws in and duct tape for no leaks I'll wrap it to insulate. If it works I'll get a aluminum copy made.

Attachments

#6 ·
Hi Jeep has had cold air intakes for years way before they had them on cars. this is a Jeep cold intake. it does NOT exit below the motor or in front of the motor because most Jeeps run thru water and anything in front or below the motor would draw in water and hydro lock the motor.
its called a snorkel.
good luck
tim

Attachments

#15 ·
gmakra said:
Why even bother with a cold air intake? The manifold is heated on purpose to help keep the fuel in suspension so even if you send it cooler air it will just warm up again. It doesn't hurt any thing but it doesn't do anything either.
I have to disagree with this. I find my filter stays cleaner and last longer with the flexible cold air intake hose connected to the grill. Things get mighty dusty inside the engine compartment in my neck of the woods.

If your Jeep only sees pavement, it probably doesn't matter.

Matt

#16 ·
OK, but I'm still looking for a MC2100 hat I can use to get cold air to the carb, I don't need a snorkel but if one had the carb hat I need I may consider it......I like the custom hat thorb made and I had one similar, just trying to find one that I can use to pull air from the front grill area. I think I may to have one fabed out of aluminum.

This post has been deleted
#19 ·
The adapter I have (made from Double Ds Fab) attaches the MC2100 to the oem air cleaner. The oem air cleaner has a flexible hose that attaches to the front grill for cold air. The hose is off in the picture i added. So if you have the oem air cleaner, you're good to go with that adapter.

#23 ·
Back to the original question;

Here's a thread with a lot of info about carb Hats/ intake connectors to commercial, remote, cold-air filters.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/why-there-no-cold-air-intakes-cj-1097282/index2.html
You start hitting info halfway down. Dunno what's on Page #1 of thread.

I also looked on this google ("images") page - clicking on the photo pulls up a link to the product page (usually)
https://www.google.com/search?q=car...24NuoM:;sDrIjO4Asmol3M:&imgrc=1Bkgd0BO24NuoM:

(If link doesn't work, google: "carb cold air intake adapter" and then click the "Images" menu item up top.)

Hope that you find what works for you.

#26 ·
I have something similar to this on mine, but without the 180 bend in the hose - surprisingly simple to fab. I used an inline filter before connecting it to the grill opening. This carb hat is about half the price of the k&n. Seems to work okay for me. Been bouncing down trails for the last 3 years like this.

#27 ·
thanks for all the input, I'll stick with a home made for now. I have a 6.375" round filter in the air cleaner and the "hat" is offset to allow for clearance to the power brake booster. Would like a remote filter, but this will work. to finish it up I wrap the air cleaner in ESP foil/foil insulation to keep it even cooler from engine heat, sure like said, maybe not needed but I do like the idea of a colder air intake

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.