Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cold Air

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  CJ Chet 
#1 ·
HAs anybody designed and built thier own cold air intake for a CJ with an after market carb?

What were the results? Pictures?

I am thinking of building one but if the results are going to be negligible I dont want to waste my time.

#2 ·
'd be interested to see something too. I've got an MC2100 on mine, and I HATE the paper air filter on it. I'd LOVE to get one of the dry flow ARE cone filters but I'm not sure what I'd have to do to get it to work (and I'm trying to do other things on mine right now.

#3 ·
K&N makes an adapter for the weber. You can also go to JAM Engineering and get all sorts of adapters for different carbs. Post up any findings. Good luck jc

#5 ·
I have Howell EFI on mine, I guess that sort of qualifies as an "aftermarket carb". :)

The Howell kit doesn't come with an air cleaner; they recommend an open element paper air cleaner. I did that at first but I didn't like the idea of drawing intake air from the hottest part of the engine compartment - right over the exhaust manifold.

So I got a TJ air box and plumbed it to the EFI throttle body, I used part of a GM-type cold air kit on top of the throttle body, and a rubber pipe coupler/reducer from the hardware store between that and the TJ parts.

I also plumbed the TJ air box intake side to the stock opening in the CJ grille using the stock CJ rectangular accordion hose.

It definitely made a difference in how the engine ran.

Jeff

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great ideas. I got my dualbatteries installed last weekend. I'll play with this the next few weeks.

Did you get better gas mileage after you installed?

#10 ·
I have a kind of a aluminum dome thing that fits over a MC 2100. It was part of a propane injection system I got off of a burned up pickup. I haven't installed it yet but I intend to fab up an intake using it. No pic.

#12 · (Edited)
I decided to go ahead a build a cold air intake. It is finished all except for the heat shield. All of the parts were available at AutoZone except for the adapter I used to go from my Weber carb to 3 inch tubing. This came from JAM Engineering.

I bought a 90 degree Spectre adapter which I had to shorten significantly so the hood would close. I secured it to the adapter with a Spectre 3 inch clamp.

I connected the 90 degree connector to 2 three foot pieces of tubing which then connect to a Spectre air cleaner.

You will see a piece of rope holding up the end of the air filter. This will be eliminated with the heat shield I am fabricating.

I will be filling the gas tank later today and will post mileage results. I can tell the engine is breathing easier and appears to have better throttle response.

I just found my camera so I am posting other recent upgrades I have done.

You can also see my recently installed dual battery setup. I fabricated the dual battery tray myself from1 inch angle iron.

This has nothing to do with this thread, but I did not want a soft top so I put soft doors on and fabricated adaters which would seal the gap between the body and doors. I can now drive in the winter without freezing. Not as nice as factory products but it does add a personal touch that I like.

Also nothing to do with this thread, I like using my CJ7 as a truck and needed a kennel for my dogs so I built a platform that I could haul things on and down below is a secure place for my bird dogs.

My recently installed KC Daylighters.

A Couple of pics of my Team Rush Upgrade.

#14 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.