Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 97 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 05-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #1441
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I also think classic II's would look great on your jeep. I think they look good on all cj's. Personally I would skip the beadlock.

Unread 05-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #1442
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
needs wide track axles imo. looks sweet tho, hadn't seen the updates in quite awhile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
After the work he put into these axles, I'd recommend wheel spacers before new axles.
Thanks CjAl but I think that Grewe02 is right that spacers would happen before the WT axles unless a set just happened to fall in my lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy2003 View Post
Woah . . . . . . That Jeep is INCREDIBLE!!!! Amazing job! It must sound SICK!!!!
Thank you. I'll post a video in the week or so with a drive by or two so people can hear what it sounds like. I still need to repair a small exhaust leak at the driver's side collector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopper8 View Post
now you have to go get it muddy! haha kidding mike, looks amazing and congrats
Thanks Stopper. It is built more for rock crawling but I have a feeling there is more mud around here than rocks. We'll just have to wait and see where my first wheeling trip takes me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Mike, forgive me if I missed it, but IMO it would look awesome if you had white Jeep decals for the tailgate. I also think it looks perfect with the 33s. I also like the black wheels, or chrome, for contrast. Again, IMO, I think white rims would be too much. But either way, if you ever tell me to hop in, I won't be slow!
I thought about white letters for the Jeep in the tailgate but am still not sure. It is kind of hard to read the Jeep on the tailgate in the pictures but not in person. Considering the tire carrier will cover most of that up I will probably just leave it all black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms198 View Post
please never ruin that work of art with chrome anything!
I'm not a big fan of chrome either. I am still undecided over polished or black though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
I like the 33's, but with white lettering inside, and I would also go with all black wheels...paint the ones you have to start with...
I probably will repaint the ones I have even if I don't keep them. It will give me a chance to see how it looks with clean black wheels and it should make them worth a bit more if I do end up selling them. I am also considering keeping the 33's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Mike, I remember you mentioning it before but there are just way too many pages to search through. What are your plans for wheels / tires?

As hard as it is for me to say this, I think chrome rims would look halfway decent on your Jeep. I'm normally anti-chrome but on such a beautiful Jeep I think chrome would suit it quite well.
I think you're right about the chrome that it would probably look good but I think I would prefer polished over chrome. As far as what I am considering, I'll post that up in a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Now it makes sense to me, you built a museum piece and other than some small details the "lots of work" is in reference to the glass front addition to your house where you will display the Cobra CJ...will you charge an entrance fee

Early in the thread you were looking at wheels and posted a number of examples; these are my favorites that in my opinion blend the classic look of Jeep CJ with your Cobra and racing stripes. I can understand the "stealth" look for Jeep that is mostly trail but for a daily driver, hotrod/occasional trail Jeep a nice set of wheels ties it together.

Classic drag racing...

If it must be black....

Very nice blend with Classic II's and fake beadlocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I also think classic II's would look great on your jeep. I think they look good on all cj's. Personally I would skip the beadlock.
I actually like the Classic II's but it seems that every built Jeep I see has them. If I were to go with beadlock looks, I would want them to be functional.

Deciding on tires and wheels is also more than just color and style. Certain styles I like have terrible back spacing options. Some of them only come in 17's which instantly raises the price of the tires by ~$100 each. Not a huge deal but something I have to consider.

As I used to stare at the Jeep in the garage all I could picture was 35's, especially since I cut the fender wells and added 1.5" of lift since before I started, but the more I look at the Jeep from a distance I think the 33's still fit well. If I switch to the 35's I'll have to take into account the heavier weight, poorer braking performance, effectively higher gear ratio and will have to recalibrate my speedometer gear.

I'll post up some of my ideas and options in a bit to give you guys an idea of what I think I've narrowed my choices down to.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #1443
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I think the 33s would work great. Looks like you used to do pretty good with them in the past and on the trail 35s are not going to net you that much gain compared to all you'd have to change. Besides you might as well that old set of tires out right now cause it sounds like the long skinny pedal is getting plenty pf a workout.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #1444
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
There is a 3/4" air vent to the left of the filler inlet. It is probably closer to 1/2" ID by the time you add the thickness of the metal. The vent tube actually runs from the tank to the top side of the filler neck just like the factory setup. I noticed that if I turned the nozzle 45* to the left, so the nozzle kind of matches the bend in the fill tube, it took fuel faster but still wouldn't allow me to use the first click on the pump handle.
Yeah,, not vent it's the bend...I do the same thing twist nozzle for best flow...YJ same issue
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #1445
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I've spent so much time looking at tires and wheels that they are all starting to look the same. I've got family in town this weekend and plenty of other stuff to do on the Jeep so I'm going to just walk away from it for another couple weeks.

I still have my front bumper, winch mounting plate and a dozen other small parts to paint with POR and Blackcote. I might paint my stock wheels at the same time, I haven't decided. If I do, I'll need to buy another rim as a spare.

I was looking through older pictures and found something from a month ago that is worth sharing. Maybe this will help someone out.

My parking brake pull handle was all beat up and covered in copper overspray so I painted it black.

I wanted to make the letters white so here is what I used to do that. Put the smallest amount of vaseline on your finger and wipe it on the face of the handle. You want to make it super thin to make sure none of the vaseline gets down into the letters.

Next, dab the white paint into the letters.

I waited about 15 seconds and wiped across the face of the handle with a paper towel. I only did it once and fast because I didn't want the paper towel to suck up too much paint and I also didn't want to get paint on the now grease free handle face. Once it completely dried I was able to go back and clean the white haze off pretty easily.

Now it matches the rest of the Jeep. I also labeled my cooling fans with the vinyl I got from Graffxman. You can see where I screwed up the 'auto'. I was repositioning my hand to the other side of the roll bar and I accidentally stuck it on there. I tried to pull it back off but two of the letters stuck and I didn't want to tear them trying to remove them. I think I am going to order another set of the front fender pin stripes to take another crack at those so I'll order a new 'auto' sticker as well as matching 'fog lamps on/off' sticker because those are already pre-wired to that same area.
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #1446
1983 CJ7 

That is a great tip Mike, thanks for sharing!
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:32 PM   #1447
XJAbuzer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That is a handy tip. I wiped vasoline on all the parts that I didnt want paint on when I painted my engine block (like the gasket surfaces) The when I was done, I wiped off the vasoline and then sprayed brake cleaner on a rag and I wiped the surfaces that I vasolined to get rid of the film. Worked like a charm.

Before...

After...

Sorry, the only pics I have.

My Youtube Channel

1979 CJ-5 304 V-8, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Sold

Anyways, I wanna go wheelin'!
XJAbuzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #1448
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Excellent detail work Mike. I was wondering when you'd be painting the front bumper, I'm looking forward to seeing it installed. As I'm sure you are too. Enjoy the time with your family.

Hey you got any peppers planted yet?

My build thread
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #1449
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I hope to paint all that stuff in the next few weeks. Spending some time with some of my family should be fun.

No peppers yet. I hope to get to them this Sunday. I think I'm going to take Dave's advice and try growing a super hot this year.
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #1450
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
No peppers yet. I hope to get to them this Sunday. I think I'm going to take Dave's advise and try growing a super hot this year.
Havent planted yet? I just harvested my first Cayenne's and Jalapeno's lasdt weekend! I am also growing Bhut Jolokia (aka The Ghost Pepper) this year...not sure what the heck I will actually use the peppers for but thats no reason not to try and grow em!

Keep up the great work Mike!!

PS Got any good brews going right now? After doing a few local brewery tours here I'm really tempted to dust off my old setup and get a batch started..
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #1451
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Havent planted yet? I just harvested my first Cayenne's and Jalapeno's lasdt weekend! I am also growing Bhut Jolokia (aka The Ghost Pepper) this year...not sure what the heck I will actually use the peppers for but thats no reason not to try and grow em!

Keep up the great work Mike!!

PS Got any good brews going right now? After doing a few local brewery tours here I'm really tempted to dust off my old setup and get a batch started..
We likely just passed our last frost last weekend so the farmers around here have been burning a lot of diesel lately.

As far as brewing, it is funny you asked that because I was just going to post this.

For the homebrewers out there, last Saturday was AHA Big Brew Day. It's a party held by homebrewers to celebrate the anniversary of when congress legalized the brewing of beer by citizens. Our local club had a party where we brewed 34 gallons worth of beer and a Mead. I made 13 gallons of Witbier for our club's summer party.
10# Marris Otter
10# Wheat
2# Oats
SG 1.051
1 oz NZ Hallertau @60 minutes
1 oz Corriander and 2 oz of Sweet Orange peel @ 5 minutes.
Wyeast 3944 in the left fermenter and 1214 in the right fermenter, the center one is a mixture of the two. This was taken Saturday night so they had not started going yet.

Oh, and this is my 3,000th post.
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:25 PM   #1452
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Soft Top Rail

One more thing to post before I show you what we built on Sunday.

I got some SS screws for my soft top windshield rail mount. I'll probably have the bikini top on it most of the time. Nothing too fancy here, line up the rails, drill the holes, touch up with paint and install the screws with a dab of anti-seize the next day.

One from the driver's side. You can see the hood hinge bolts that need to be repainted or touched up.

Here is with the bikini top installed.

I think she is a little shy.
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #1453
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Sub Box

Last Sunday I went over to a friends house, who has a nice woodworking shop, to start work on the sub and amp box. I had forgot my camera and mentioned it to my friend a couple times before he finally went to grab his so I don't have as many pictures as I would like but there should be enough to follow along. Here is a good picture that shows the shape of the Scrambler bulkhead. Keep in mind that the angle in which it goes to the floor is different than the angle the roll bar takes.

We started with a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF and cut a panel to fit across the face of my roll bar, we had to trim for the gussets on the top corners and for the legs at the bottom corners. Next we made a top plate that extends back to the bulkhead and screwed them together. Since none of these angles are on 90*, we were having to shave pieces at 5* and 12* angles to make them flat at the mounting surface. Here is Aaron holding it in place.

Next we cut out a square piece where the main backing is going to fit against the face of the bulkhead and a piece for the lower ledge. Here you can see them already attached.

This is a good picture showing all of the weird angles we are having to deal with. This picture also shows how the two 10's side by side are larger than the main back plate so we can't just make a simple box to close it in. We had to step out the sides to fit the speakers but also not interfere with the contour of the bulkhead.

Here is a picture of Aaron cutting one of the end pieces. He has a nice shop with a complete vacuum system.

After much deliberation on how we were going to angle out the end caps, we decided that stepping them out would be the easiest. The smaller sub amp will go on the left and the slightly larger 4ch amp will go on the right. That's why the box extends out just a bit further on the left side, we were trying to get as much box volume as possible.

Last but not least, I let Aaron cut out the speaker openings. He was running the show most of the day so I wasn't about to screw it up at the end.

With the openings cut out we took it all apart and reassembled it with glue. We went around the face with an 1/8 rounder bit to clean up the edges. I'll probably fill the screw holes in the top face before I spray it with Raptor.
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:36 AM   #1454
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike now I see why you kept the bulkhead in place. That is a very good use of space. Great looking work and craftsmanship too.

Tell your friend Aaron he's sure got a nice shop too!

My build thread
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM   #1455
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Here is a picture of Aaron cutting one of the end pieces. He has a nice shop with a complete vacuum system.
GREAT idea for the miter saw! Tell Aaron thank you. I will adapt it to my own shop.

Nice work Mike and Aaron!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.