Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 96 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #1426
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet44 View Post
Beautiful job, Mike. If that were mine, I'd be scared to drive it and maybe get dust on it.
Thanks Chet, at some point you should see pictures of it covered in mud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Mike I think it looks great with the wheels and tires it has. It's your money though if you want different ones and I'm sure it'll look as good or better if you do get new ones.

Hey on that fill nozzle. I know you're past changing it but for those of us that still aren't that far along I wonder how it would work to move the filler to the side and have a staright shot at putting the gas in. What's your thoughts on that?
I've debated just repainting the Blackjack wheels. I've also been looking at those DIY Beadlock kits. Should I hit those guys up for a custom "Cobra" themed locking ring? I'm thinking that might be too much but could also be done tastefully.

If you're not worried about having the filler in the classic CJ fill spot, than I would think that moving the filler to the side would most definitely improve the fill rate. The straighter the shot, the better it would be. Keep in mind mine does use the standard 1" filler hose but my aftermarket tank uses 1/8" thick round tube as the filler port. So I think the ID of the fill tube at the tank is only around 3/4". That's not very big to begin with. Add in that 90* bend and it gets choked down pretty fast.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #1427
Rugged-Crosser
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I took the CJ out and filled the gas tank for the first time. That 1" inlet with a 90* bend sure makes for a slow fill. It was trying to click off even on the first pump setting. I had to sit there and hold it at a slow rate for the entire fill. It took around 10 minutes to put in 18 gallons. Kind of a PITA but at least it's not my daily driver anymore like it was in the 1990's. I can deal with that slow fill a few times a year.
Where your problem comes from is that you need a air vent. That will solve your problems. The problem is that as the gas goes in it pushes out air and that backs up your gas passage. If you will put on at least a 3/8" hose vent from the top of the tank it will solve your problem. You can keep your present 90* bend and have no problem.

Ben there done that! It's no fun!

[B][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/"][/B]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/rebuilding-old-rugged-crosser-cj5-1180801/[/URL][/CENTER]

The Old Rugged Crosser in a Old Rugged Cross-en CJ-5
------------------------------------------
"He that is kind is free, though he is a slave; he that is evil is a slave, though he be a king." - St. Augustine
Rugged-Crosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #1428
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged-Crosser View Post
Where your problem comes from is that you need a air vent. That will solve your problems. The problem is that as the gas goes in it pushes out air and that backs up your gas passage. If you will put on at least a 3/8" hose vent from the top of the tank it will solve your problem. You can keep your present 90* bend and have no problem.

Ben there done that! It's no fun!
There is a 3/4" air vent to the left of the filler inlet. It is probably closer to 1/2" ID by the time you add the thickness of the metal. The vent tube actually runs from the tank to the top side of the filler neck just like the factory setup. I noticed that if I turned the nozzle 45* to the left, so the nozzle kind of matches the bend in the fill tube, it took fuel faster but still wouldn't allow me to use the first click on the pump handle.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 12:26 PM   #1429
CjAl
1980 CJ7 

needs wide track axles imo. looks sweet tho, hadn't seen the updates in quite awhile
CjAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #1430
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjAl View Post
needs wide track axles imo. looks sweet tho, hadn't seen the updates in quite awhile
After the work he put into these axles, I'd recommend wheel spacers before new axles.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #1431
diddy2003
1984 CJ7 

Woah . . . . . . That Jeep is INCREDIBLE!!!! Amazing job! It must sound SICK!!!!
diddy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #1432
stopper8
1990 YJ Wrangler 

now you have to go get it muddy! haha kidding mike, looks amazing and congrats
stopper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #1433
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike, forgive me if I missed it, but IMO it would look awesome if you had white Jeep decals for the tailgate. I also think it looks perfect with the 33s. I also like the black wheels, or chrome, for contrast. Again, IMO, I think white rims would be too much. But either way, if you ever tell me to hop in, I won't be slow!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 09:47 PM   #1434
ms198
1985 CJ7 

please never ruin that work of art with chrome anything!
ms198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:00 PM   #1435
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I like the 33's, but with white lettering inside, and I would also go with all black wheels...paint the ones you have to start with...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:34 PM   #1436
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Mike, I remember you mentioning it before but there are just way too many pages to search through. What are your plans for wheels / tires?

As hard as it is for me to say this, I think chrome rims would look halfway decent on your Jeep. I'm normally anti-chrome but on such a beautiful Jeep I think chrome would suit it quite well.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 06:32 AM   #1437
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
It took around 10 minutes to put in 18 gallons. Kind of a PITA but at least it's not my daily driver anymore like it was in the 1990's. I can deal with that slow fill a few times a year.

Still lots of work to do.
Now it makes sense to me, you built a museum piece and other than some small details the "lots of work" is in reference to the glass front addition to your house where you will display the Cobra CJ...will you charge an entrance fee

Early in the thread you were looking at wheels and posted a number of examples; these are my favorites that in my opinion blend the classic look of Jeep CJ with your Cobra and racing stripes. I can understand the "stealth" look for Jeep that is mostly trail but for a daily driver, hotrod/occasional trail Jeep a nice set of wheels ties it together.

Classic drag racing...

If it must be black....

Very nice blend with Classic II's and fake beadlocks...

Unread 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #1438
benullman
1981 CJ7 

For reference
jeepbefore.jpg   jeep-after.jpg  
Unread 05-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #1439
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I vote to paint the existing rims dark red!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 08:02 AM   #1440
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I vote to paint the existing rims dark red!
(certain) adults should be seen and not heard

Ben

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.