Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 90 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?

Unread 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #1336
Erik719
1983 CJ7 

90 pages, 1338 posts. Two days of work wasted! This is great! Keep up the good work. JP magazine should do an article on you.

Unread 03-29-2011, 01:32 PM   #1337
Capt_Drake

1986 CJ7 

Mike,

You should ask Keith if he can make a book out of this. It's way better than the Cj Rebuilder's Manual.
JOIN AND SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL CLUB!

My Clean Up / Refurbish Thread
Capt_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM   #1338
parrotparty
1999 TJ Wrangler 

No.. Not JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
90 pages, 1338 posts. Two days of work wasted! This is great! Keep up the good work. JP magazine should do an article on you.
Definitly should be one done by Crawler Mag..JP works to though

Looks Great! Sounds Great!

[QUOTE=freedommachine;12840223]If it makes you paranoid and requires forum discussions it belongs on a Jeep.[/QUOTE]

"Well boss, a diesel needs its oil like a sailor needs his rum."- Capt. Ron
parrotparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #1339
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik719 View Post
Awesome, thanks for reading the entire thread. Never thought about the magazines. Do they typically approach people or do you have to approach them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Drake View Post
Mike,

You should ask Keith if he can make a book out of this. It's way better than the Cj Rebuilder's Manual.
Wow, thanks. Once I consider the CJ "done", I was going to post nothing but my build posts in a new thread in the build section. I'll make the first post an index with links to the various parts of the build. That way all of the build information will be in one spot and easy to find and not buried or hidden in all the feedback and questions. I'll direct people to this thread if they want to make comments or leave feedback.

I've had several people send me PM's asking for the Word document of my build but with all the links I think consolidating the build into a new thread will be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotparty View Post
Definitly should be one done by Crawler Mag..JP works to though

Looks Great! Sounds Great!
Thanks Parrotparty.

I've got my trans tunnel cover mostly built and I intend to get a seat and the steering wheel installed so I can take a few laps around the neighborhood this Saturday. 52* actually feels pretty warm compared to the last 5 months of weather we've had here in northern IL. The first test drive in over three years should happen this weekend.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #1340
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post

What do you think? Should I try to patent it and make a million piggy backing off of Eddie?
Oh HELL yes! Eddie has probably already made 8 or 9 million selling bumpers... you could sell these like hot cakes! Especially with the Special Optional Adapter Kit (SOAK) that you would make available. Just think... change the adapter and you can use it as a shifter knob! Change the adapter and you could use it as a window crank, or with the optional 24" hande it could be used as a club!! Or a bottle opener! The possibilities are endless...

All kidding aside, it's a nice piece of work and worth the investment you made.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM   #1341
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found this thread, saw 135 pages and started at the beginning. Looks like I'll get to see this one finish.

Can I get a promise you're not going to get a girlfriend pregnant, want to change directions or do anything else that will make you not finish this?

I want to see this one to the end.
soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #1342
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ LOL. I promise you you'll see this one finished. I already have all the parts I need to finish it and am mainly waiting on warmer weather to do it. The only big thing I have left to actually buy is tires and wheels and I'm still trying to decide on those.

I did pull the CJ out of the garage today and put a couple of miles on it driving around the neighborhood. It still dry hops the 33's at 10 mph in 2nd and chirps them into 3rd.

It was fun driving it around. No problems with any leaks so far and the brakes felt good. Time to clean the garage a bit more and maybe finish polishing the hood.
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #1343
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Bet that felt good!!!!!!!
scooby533 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #1344
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Trans Tunnel Cover

As you guys know, I was having trouble with what metal to use for my trans tunnel cover. My previous one was made out of 26g steel and just spray painted black.

I had just purchased a new sheet of 26g steel because it is easy to work with but it is very thin and also dents easy. Last summer they were running an oil pipeline through the farmers fields in northern IL which took them months to complete. For over a month there was this road working sign sitting in the ditch which looked like it had been ran over by a semi. There was a brand new sign displayed 25 ft from the damaged one. Then I noticed they finally moved it to what was obviously a trash pile. It sat there for another month before I decided I might be able to make something with it. My original thought was to use it for a glove box but even 1/8" aluminum is a little difficult to bend and work. The plastic glove boxes fit and work fine and they are cheap so I ditched the aluminum idea. I had been trying to give it away but no one seemed to want it. Well then it dawned on me that I could use the flattest section of the sign to make the tunnel cover.

I forgot to take pictures before I started cutting and bending but here you can see how it came out of the sign.

Here are the two main pieces that will be installed.

Here is a picture with the shifter boot trim rings. I have the forward piece sitting on top so you can see how the rivet/screws for the shifter trim ring will tie the two pieces together.

Here they are rough cut and sitting in place.

Here is one last picture with the cover installed the shifter boots sitting in place. I'm thinking about running a bead of liquid metal filler where the two aluminum pieces meet.

I ordered a new transmission shifter boot because my current trim ring needed to be replaced, you can't buy the trims rings separate. I actually bought one that is 1" smaller. I plan to coat both sides with Raptor, use SS screws to secure it and I already have the weatherstrip to place between the cover and the tub.
Unread 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM   #1345
tractor1
old dog

1979 CJ5 

Look real good ! nice find on the aluminum sign thay call it recycling
tractor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 12:47 PM   #1346
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike you are always on the lookout for things for the CJ it seems. Great idea using the road sign for the cover. I may copy you on that one, there's an aluminum sign laying in the creek by my house.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 01:37 PM   #1347
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Mike you are always on the lookout for things for the CJ it seems. Great idea using the road sign for the cover. I may copy you on that one, there's an aluminum sign laying in the creek by my house.
I'll race you to the creek for it!!
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #1348
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Seat Clean Up

I got my Corvette seats out of the basement and it looks like they could use some TLC.

I was able to remove the bottom seat cushion by compressing the cushion and pulling on the locking wire.

Once that is unhooked the bottom seat cushion pulls right off.

So I pulled the cushion off and finished removing the factory CJ seat rails.

They were long overdue for a good cleaning.

Here you can see the CJ factory seat rail and where it attached to the seat frame. I only had to drill one hole way back when to get them mounted.

Both rails off and ready to be cleaned, primed and painted.

I washed up the seat as good as I could in my utility sink.

A little Rustoleum on the springs and wire frame.

Cleaned, primed and painted the seat rails.

I painted the rails and let them dry. Then I would slide them to their opposite end and add another coat.

Here they are ready to be assembled.

Rails are installed on the seat frame. They used to be spaced off the seat frame with small washers and I decided to remove them to lower the seat a bit. This required a few minor mods to the bottom plastic but nothing major. You can also see how they aren't quite parallel with each other. This does not effect their function as the seat slides in full range front to back with no problems when mounted in the Jeep.

I plan to either buy black seat covers, black leather Corvette seats if I can find them or possibly have these dyed black. I need to talk to an upholstery shop first.
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #1349
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

You're building a Hybrid, now, too.
Unread 04-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #1350
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

First Drive

Once I had the seat in it, I slapped on the steering wheel and pulled it out of the garage under it's own power for the first time in a long time.

I need to decide on some wheels and I really like the white I picked in the sunlight.

I definitely need to get the hood installed.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.