Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #121
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good, this thing is going to be solid for a really long time.

Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #122
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Stripping the tailgate, hood and dash

Thanks for the comments guys.
It has been a lot of hard work and is a very time consuming project but I think I can see a dimmer of light in the distance. I'm at 91% on my free photobucket bandwidth for the month and it doesn't reset until the 23rd so hopefully my thread doesn't go blank for a couple days.

I figured I might as well try to get the rest of the main body panels stripped down and ready to paint at the same time as the tub. Here I pulled off the seal and cable hold-downs. I had to use MAP gas and an impact driver to get the latches off.

I tested several different ways to strip the factory paint and decided to go with removing the gloss via a 4 course-stripping wheel. This knocked all the shine off the factory paint.

I used the same wheel on the outside.

Next I applied a coating of POR-Strip and waited about 10-15 minutes before hitting it with a gasket scraper.

The hood got the same treatment. Before the course stripper wheel:

Here it is after over 20 minutes worth of giving it hell.

The bottom of the hood was in even worse shape.

Another 20 minutes of grinding away.

I hit it with the stripper then gave it the same once over with the gasket scraper. From there I pulled out the wire wheel and hit any areas left over.

The bottom came out clean.

The dash got the same treatment so here are the three pieces ready to be washed and painted.

I had the grill media blasted so all I have to do is clean that along with the rest of these pieces and paint them along with the sides of the tub.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #123
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

More painting

I used one of our last mid 50-degree weekends to get some paint on the rest of the main body panels. I cleaned everything to be covered with POR with Marine Clean then coated with Metal Ready. Here there are all of the parts ready to be cleaned.

Got the tub set up on some barrowed sawhorses and cleaned it as well.

Here is the hood and dash drying after the Metal Ready.

I taped off the insides to keep the over spray off of the Raptor and hung the rest of the parts.

Bling Bling. First coat on the tub sides.

First coat of POR on the rest of the panels.

This is one of those photos that show you a little something extra hidden behind the flash. They usually show off women’s underwear but in this case it showed my light paint coverage. With the naked eye only the lightest strip left of center looked a little light, everything else looked pretty solid black.

Second coat on all the parts.

Everything is looking pretty good.

POR suggests spraying on a dustcoat of primer while the POR-15 is still tacky so I decided to do that with their Tie-Coat Primer.

Picture of the passenger’s side.

The hood didn’t look quite this streaky without the flash but it was supposed to be a dustcoat anyway.

POR says to wait at least 24 hours before applying more primer so I actually waited until the next weekend to put a full coat of primer on all of the pieces. Had to use the heater for a little bit but not too bad.

Everything is looking pretty good.

Now comes the fun of body filler and sanding. I’ve got a gallon of Evercoat Rage Gold and a tube of Evercoat Easy Sand. I've got all winter to do it because there is no way I will be able to paint color until spring but I plan on busting it all out as soon as possible to use as much of the decent weather as I can and to not tie up the entire garage with the tub on stands, not to mention having to deal with all of the filler dust. I just want to hammer most of it out and only have to clean up once. I also need to get the hood to the local Hotrod shop to get the louvers stamped in. I’ll be asking for opinions on that in another thread. It's finally starting to look like a Jeep again.

Last edited by Coiz; 11-23-2009 at 09:06 PM..
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:49 PM   #124
dmjonez

1971 CJ5 

Looks great. I've subscribed.
dmjonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:20 PM   #125
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjonez View Post
Looks great. I've subscribed.
Whats flowing in the kegorator?
CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2009, 09:03 PM   #126
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJman77 View Post
Whats flowing in the kegorator?
Actually the tap on the side is a little misleading. There use to be Bud Light or Miller Lite on any given Sunday but since I got heavy into homebrewing several years ago, it has been filled with a rotating assortment of 6 corny kegs. Right now there is a 75 Minute Cascade IPA, American Brown Ale, Rye-IPA, Munich Dunkle, American Wheat and an Octoberfest. Here is an old picture of the set up with picnic taps. I have since added 6ft balanced tap lines.

On Sunday I brewed 10g of English Brown for a local competition and another 12.5g of Octoberfest. The Jeep tub had taken a lot of my time this summer so this is the first time I had brewed in almost 6 months. Most of my kegs are running on fumes and I am dangerously low that's why I powered out the double batch in one day. It will be another 3-4 weeks before these latest batches will be ready, the Octoberfest even longer. It takes me 5 hours to brew 5 gallons, 6 hours to brew 12.5 gallons and 8 hours to brew 25 gallons. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end.
Unread 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #127
caanzaldua
1981 CJ7 

Very nice progress on the CJ. I'll bet those IPA's are delicious. I love IPA's. My brother is heavy into homebrewing. It's great to be the official taste-tester!
caanzaldua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2009, 09:42 PM   #128
redbird2289
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
That is actually a Yamaha R6 engine with a thrown #1 connecting rod. I bought a street bike with a blown engine, installed a new one and sold it for a quick profit. That picture was before I tore it down to strip it for the good parts.

Just to the right of the two large totes in the first picture is a complete GSXR750 engine that is ready to run. I haven't really decided what to do with that yet. Maybe put it in a golf cart or build a go cart or buggy someday.

That may be pretty far off. My garage and I can only handle one large project at a time.
slightly off topic but at the local race track there are a couple fellas that have massive looking crotch rocket engines strapped to shifter carts! and one of em is running nitrous! those things are stupid fast
Unread 11-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #129
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks great. Super clean. What color will you be painting it?
Unread 11-28-2009, 05:58 AM   #130
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks for the comments guys.
It has been a lot of hard work and is a very time consuming project but I think I can see a dimmer of light in the distance. I'm at 91% on my free photobucket bandwidth for the month and it doesn't reset until the 23rd so hopefully my thread doesn't go blank for a couple days. I had the grill media blasted so all I have to do is clean that along with the rest of these pieces and paint them along with the sides of the tub.
Looking great!

The mechanical work is a piece of cake compared to stripping, priming and painting the hundreds of parts on a Jeep.

I am so ready to move on to the tub.
Unread 11-28-2009, 06:41 AM   #131
Ziptie2k2
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Actually the tap on the side is a little misleading. There use to be Bud Light or Miller Lite on any given Sunday but since I got heavy into homebrewing several years ago, it has been filled with a rotating assortment of 6 corny kegs. Right now there is a 75 Minute Cascade IPA, American Brown Ale, Rye-IPA, Munich Dunkle, American Wheat and an Octoberfest. Here is an old picture of the set up with picnic taps. I have since added 6ft balanced tap lines.

On Sunday I brewed 10g of English Brown for a local competition and another 12.5g of Octoberfest. The Jeep tub had taken a lot of my time this summer so this is the first time I had brewed in almost 6 months. Most of my kegs are running on fumes and I am dangerously low that's why I powered out the double batch in one day. It will be another 3-4 weeks before these latest batches will be ready, the Octoberfest even longer. It takes me 5 hours to brew 5 gallons, 6 hours to brew 12.5 gallons and 8 hours to brew 25 gallons. It's a lot of work but worth it in the end.
It's a good thing I don't live close to you! My wife would surely divorce me, as I love homebrewing and wrenchin on my Jeeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
where do you believe you go when you die?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchagrins View Post
you go in the ground, duh.....
Ziptie2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 07:36 AM   #132
4by4junkie
1981 CJ7 

Nice to see someone actually cleaning, welding, grinding and repairing, not just swiping plastic.

Great build, cant wait to see the final results.
4by4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #133
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks for all the comments guys.

To respond to a couple comments:
Caanzaldua, IPA's are my favorite style to make and drink. Have your brother look up "Denny's RyePA" online and make that beast. Outstanding IPA!

Redbird2289, those shifter carts are stupid fast anyway with the 125 and 250 dirt bike engines. The 750 engine I have dynoed at 131 RWHP so that should be plenty to get a cart up to speed. I could only imagine how fast a new 1000cc sport bike engine would propel one of those things now that they're pushing 180 RWHP. Adding nitrous would just be a death wish. Sounds like fun.

LGriffith, I was torn between dark blue or white for the longest time but I have decided to go with the white. So the main Jeep will be Ford Oxford/Performance white, the brighter white you see on like the late 90's F150's and Taurus's. I will be painting on racing stripes that will mirror a new Cobra, two 9" wide stripes separated by 1" in the middle. The stripes will be black and should match the bumpers and nerf bars. I might add that pin-striping down the sides like I had posted in a earlier picture. I'll have black headlight rings, hood latches, ect.,. I have already converted my stock gauges to be white faced as well. It all looks good in my head.

243, you're right taking them apart and putting them back together is the fairly simple part. It's the stripping, cleaning, welding, grinding, cleaning and painting that is the real PITA. I'm just glad I'm through the worst of the dirty work. The windshield frame is the last piece I have to do any major work on. From there it is paint in the spring and put it back together. My tub was a lot of work, I hope yours goes quickly for you.

Ziptie2k2, my girlfriend use to only drink BL, ML and Corona. Now she has gotten use to drinking the hoppy stuff. At first I thought, great now I can quit buying all that light beer but now its like, crap she likes drinking all my good beer.

4by4junkie, your right. Other than the rear corners and the front fenders, all the steel on my CJ is original. I would have been tempted to by a couple of the pieces but the lack of high quality replacement panels pushed me into fixing what I had. It's been a lot of work and I can't wait to see the finished product either.
Cheers guys and hope everyone is enjoying their long holiday weekend. I'm headed out to the garage to figure out my fuel tank and pump set up.
Unread 12-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #134
LVC2003
1980 CJ7 

Hey Mike, thanks for checking out my build thread, I'm sure I'll have lots of questions to ask.

I like the work you did on your frame, I'm in need to some schooling on how to weld like that. I'll be reading through your whole thread when I get some time here too!

2014 Rubicon - New Jeep, still stock!!
LVC2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:42 AM   #135
canadianwinter
1990 YJ Wrangler 

wow man i really like this build the pics are amazing im doing a floor/body support repair atm, il def keep mny eyes on thsi thread some advice on my thread would be appreciated very much, i gotta have my jeep outa the shop by wedsday!
canadianwinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.