Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 89 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #1321
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjFitz View Post
I've been lurking through your thread for quite some time now...

Damn she looks good! Keep it up Mike
Thanks for following along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
That tail gate looks sooo good. I have a CJ tail gate with more rust than yours but now I'm thinking about attempting to repair it.
A CJ tailgate would look good on your tub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherms-CJ7 View Post
Awesome work Mike - just awesome! I haven't read through your whole thead yet because ... there's just so much of it ... and I obviously have a long, LONG way to go on my build. And, there's that whole "so many hours in a day thing!"

I'll tell you - I wish my build was half what yours is! Keep up the great work!

I know what you mean. It sometimes becomes work trying to keep up with all the great threads on this forum.

I've been out in the garage staring at the CJ wondering what else I can do while it's still cold and came up with a couple things. First, I think it is time to mount the driver's seat and the steering wheel. Second, I might actually try to clean up the garage a little bit. Third, I've got a small thing to fab for the rear bumper that I'll detail when I'm done with it. I'm sure I'll come up with a couple other things while I'm out there.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 12:29 PM   #1322
1983 CJ7 

Mike,

When you painted the fenders and other pieces, did you spray the base and clear on one side, let it cure completely and then the other side?

Some parts like the windshield frame and tailgate I can probably hang from a rack but the good and fenders might be more difficult getting to both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
It sounds like it needs to be at 60* for a couple of days straight and the current 10 day forecast shows a high of 51* right now. So it sounds like I can forget about those for a while. I'm thinking tailgate or trans tunnel cover next.

You guys do remember the tailgate don't you?

Unread 03-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #1323
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Mike,

When you painted the fenders and other pieces, did you spray the base and clear on one side, let it cure completely and then the other side?

Some parts like the windshield frame and tailgate I can probably hang from a rack but the hood and fenders might be more difficult getting to both sides.
Dave,
On the fenders I hung them when I sprayed the primer so I hit all the sides at the same time. When I sprayed the color and clear coat, I only sprayed the outside surfaces because I was covering the engine side and wheel wells with Raptor.

On the hood, we could not find a good way to hang it in the paint booth so I painted the bottom and let it cure then flipped it over and painted the top side separately.
Unread 03-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #1324
1983 CJ7 

Thanks!
Unread 03-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #1325
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

I am liking your bumper!! Has that certain "Redneck" tone that I love so well. I can't believe how stout you have built it! It will never fail. I know you said that this rig will one day be off road, and I know you're planning ahead, which is smart. Kinda disappointing when you say the welding is done! Just like Calvin, when you finish this project, it will leave a hole!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #1326
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

^^^ Well you've got at least another 6 months of me putting on the finishing touches. After that I'm going to wear out the "winning thread".
Unread 03-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #1327
toddjb
1979 CJ7 

I have really enjoyed reading about your project. In fact it has inspired me to give up on the idea of buying a new Jeep and instead tear down and restore my 1979 CJ7 Golden Eagle.

Thanks!!
toddjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:30 AM   #1328
Exposed

1981 CJ5 

Coiz, it is looking great.... I know you are getting anxious to put it on the street... Glad to see Dave is getting closer too... Skerr, you are correct, I feel like I am left out not having a constant thread going on the Jeep.. It sure is nice driving it some now. Ofcourse, now I am thinking of other stuff to do to it... I think having a Jeep is like having a disease...
81 CJ5, Ford 331 EFI, AX15, D-300, Dana 44 (Detroit Locker)....

When there are more people voting for a living than working for a living,
We are DONE as a Country!!!!!!

Newly Acquired 2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 10:12 AM   #1329
stoveguy01
1989 YJ Wrangler 

OMG I just spent the last three days reading your entire thread from start to finish. I know you have heard it alot but truely amazing. Im in the process of bringing an 84 cj7 back to life after sitting on the side of the PO garage for ten years in pieces. I got my fiance hooked on wheeling and with four kids between us she wanted her own jeep. So I traded the guy my m4 carbine Id built (for $450) straight across for it and every part he had bought for it. none of wich had even been opened unwraped or installed. Wishing now id spent more time on all the little detail while reassembling. Oh well The fiance is getting antsy to drive it allready. Well keep up the excellent work and I will definetly be following along as you finish. truely aspiring
stoveguy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM   #1330
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddjb View Post
I have really enjoyed reading about your project. In fact it has inspired me to give up on the idea of buying a new Jeep and instead tear down and restore my 1979 CJ7 Golden Eagle.

Thanks!!
Oh no, don't try to pin that one on me.

Glad you decided to work on the Golden Eagle. Make sure to take lots of pictures. Hold24 has been working on a Golden Eagle too. After seeing his Renegade rebuild I can't wait to see how his Golden Eagle turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Coiz, it is looking great.... I know you are getting anxious to put it on the street... Glad to see Dave is getting closer too... Skerr, you are correct, I feel like I am left out not having a constant thread going on the Jeep.. It sure is nice driving it some now. Ofcourse, now I am thinking of other stuff to do to it... I think having a Jeep is like having a disease...
I am getting anxious to drive it. I'm about wintered out and am ready for the warmer weather so I can really start to finish it off. Make sure to post pictures of you wheeling that thing while you're in Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoveguy01 View Post
OMG I just spent the last three days reading your entire thread from start to finish. I know you have heard it alot but truely amazing. Im in the process of bringing an 84 cj7 back to life after sitting on the side of the PO garage for ten years in pieces. I got my fiance hooked on wheeling and with four kids between us she wanted her own jeep. So I traded the guy my m4 carbine Id built (for $450) straight across for it and every part he had bought for it. none of wich had even been opened unwraped or installed. Wishing now id spent more time on all the little detail while reassembling. Oh well The fiance is getting antsy to drive it allready. Well keep up the excellent work and I will definetly be following along as you finish. truely aspiring
Thanks for the great response.

Sounds like you need to give her the YJ and build the CJ for you.
Unread 03-27-2011, 04:57 PM   #1331
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Spindle Protector

I figured that there might be times when I won't want the entire swing out tire carrier on the rear bumper. With it removed I can save a little weight and it will also show off my tailgate stripes a little better. With the carrier removed the spindle is a little naked just sitting out there by itself. I wanted to keep it out of the elements and also be able to protect the threads on the end. So here is a little cover I devised to protect the spindle. That masking tape was tough to get off.

I started with a 1" fine thread nut, which cost me $3.20, and needed to turn it down to fit inside of the 1.75" DOM I am going to use as the spindle cover. I took it over to the Hotrod shop and had them turn it down to the 1.55" inside diameter of the DOM tubing. To make it easier for them to chuck it in the lathe, I also had to buy a $13 bolt we cut the head off so it would fit in the chuck. This was a whole lot easier than me trying to eyeball it with an angle grinder. I really needed for this nut to be perfectly centered in the piece of DOM.

We cut the piece of DOM at 4.125" so it would be at the correct height to cover the entire spindle.

I slid the DOM over the nut and spindle and turned the nut so everything looked flat.

I tacked them together then removed it from the bumper to finish the welding.

Here is the cover threaded on and the cap piece sitting in place.

I welded the cap on and ground down the welds to make it look cleaner. Only a little final sanding left.

One last picture with it in place. I will paint this black to match the bumper when I repaint the front bumper.

I have it set to where the bottom of the cover engages the bumper as it tightens down. If I notice it trying to loosen as I'm driving around I'll simply drill a hole near the bottom and install a set screw.

What do you think? Should I try to patent it and make a million piggy backing off of Eddie?
Unread 03-27-2011, 05:06 PM   #1332
benullman
1981 CJ7 

VERY cool Mike!

To me thats what seperates you and a few other forum members from just a CJ being redone. Your not only restoring, but improving, enhancing, and taking care of all the details. Nice Touch!

Oh, and I vote paint it white Just for some contrast

Ben
Unread 03-27-2011, 05:08 PM   #1333
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
VERY cool Mike!

To me thats what seperates you and a few other forum members from just a CJ being redone. Your not only restoring, but improving, enhancing, and taking care of all the details. Nice Touch!

Oh, and I vote paint it white Just for some contrast

Ben
Thanks. Should I add a sticker that says "If you don't like my driving, sit & spin"?
Unread 03-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #1334
benullman
1981 CJ7 

get a 'shut up and sit down' sticker for it

Ben
Unread 03-27-2011, 05:22 PM   #1335
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I'd say go for making the big money! I like it.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.