Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 87 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:47 PM   #1291
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Great idea Mike. I have a feeling you're enjoying this part.
It is kind of fun. Look what I picked up for $9.99 at F&F.

One thing I've noticed is that even the 6" receiver is too long. If I install it like a normal hitch, with the pin on the outside of the bumper, it will be sticking out way too far and look funny. If I move the hitch pin to behind the bumper, it will be too long and I will have to cut a couple inches from the end so it doesn't hit the front crossmember. This also means any slide in hitch would also need to be shortened by the same length to fit.

I think the answer is to drill new hitch pin holes closer to the end so I can install the receiver further back but the pin will still be in front of the bumper. I'll still have to cut an inch off the end of the receiver so it clears the front crossmember but with the hitch pin holes moved toward the end, any normal slide in hitch will fit without modification it just wont be slid in quite as far as normal.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 07:47 AM   #1292
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Great buy on the receiver Mike.

I think you're on the right track with drilling a new hole. It would be handier to get to in front of the bumper too. I'm sure you've already looked through your surplus steel and have parts to do it but I'd brace the backside of that up the same way you did with the clevis tabs.

Let's see....is there anything else you need to add besides the reciever? I can't think of anything.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #1293
mtbtweety

1982 CJ8 

You likely won't use that receiver for anything other than bike mounts or canoe mounts, or maybe an occasional retrieval point. I doubt you'll back around with a trailer attached to it, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about cutting any length off of it, or redrilling the pin closer to the end. It's not like you're gonna rip the pin out. Great work on the bracing welds!
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #1294
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Mike: Please excuse my blunt factor...

I think your machine is a work of art and is aesthetically beautiful. That said, I really have to say that I think that front bumper is too "Mad Max" for the looks of your custom chariot. I mean, the rig is built for speed and deserves a front bumper with a little more style and less "scrap-yard." It just looks out of place.

You know I mean no offense by this statement. It's just what I feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #1295
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike!!! I've thought of something else.

This may be overkill but. I was looking at how your tubes are welded onto the topm of the bumper and was thinking they could be breaced up a bit and not much trouble in doing so. I was thinking about running a diagonal brace, well you're gonna do it, from the main tube back down to the winch plate. You could tie it all together, bumper and winch plate, or you could weld the brace to the bumper tube and make a bracket bolt it to the plate.

Okay I think that's about all I can think of for you to keep doing.

My build thread
Unread 03-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #1296
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtweety View Post
You likely won't use that receiver for anything other than bike mounts or canoe mounts, or maybe an occasional retrieval point. I doubt you'll back around with a trailer attached to it, so I wouldn't be overly concerned about cutting any length off of it, or redrilling the pin closer to the end. It's not like you're gonna rip the pin out. Great work on the bracing welds!
That's what I was thinking. There will never be an extreme load on the receiver so an inch or two cut off the end won't hurt anything. It will be plenty strong by the time I'm done with it I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Mike: Please excuse my blunt factor...

I think your machine is a work of art and is aesthetically beautiful. That said, I really have to say that I think that front bumper is too "Mad Max" for the looks of your custom chariot. I mean, the rig is built for speed and deserves a front bumper with a little more style and less "scrap-yard." It just looks out of place.

You know I mean no offense by this statement. It's just what I feel.
No offense taken. I wasn't too keen on the front bumper when I first bought the Jeep in 1994 but it came to grow on me. After having "used" it a couple times it proved to be a sturdy and practical unit. I'll have to refer you to my last comments in post #1247.

You have to remember this rebuild started as a "I'll replace the front fenders and give it a quick paint job and be done". I was figuring in the $4-6k range from the beginning (and yes that was doubling my original estimate). I'm sure I have doubled that $$$ amount and I'm not even done. So far I've spent ~$40 beefing up this bumper with the clevis mounts and receiver. That's a lot cheaper than a new bumper, I have to draw a line somewhere.

Unless I see a front bumper that just jumps out at me as a must have, I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with this one for a while. What's nice is I have the option to easily change something like that at any time. I'll have to admit that I have not searched for any other front bumpers though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Mike!!! I've thought of something else.

This may be overkill but. I was looking at how your tubes are welded onto the top of the bumper and was thinking they could be braced up a bit and not much trouble in doing so. I was thinking about running a diagonal brace, well you're gonna do it, from the main tube back down to the winch plate. You could tie it all together, bumper and winch plate, or you could weld the brace to the bumper tube and make a bracket bolt it to the plate.

Okay I think that's about all I can think of for you to keep doing.
I see what you're saying and think your starting to venture into the Mad Max realm stated earlier. If I were using the Jeep to plow trails through the jungle or run down animals I could see how that could be useful. I think that may be stretching a little too far into the overkill range. Lets see where I'm at after the receiver is installed.
Unread 03-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #1297
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I'm not making all of these suggestions for you anyway. Remember the deal?? Sliders, belly skid, I do all of the work and you leave me the CJ for 10 years.

Looking forward to the receiver install.

My build thread
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #1298
Gunsmith_207
1979 CJ7 

Mike, if Jim don't quit giving you ideas this thing will never be done. I like the addition of the winch to the bumper, looks awesome. I home to weld with my new welder half as good as you do.
Gunsmith_207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #1299
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Bumper Receiver

^^^ Thanks Gunsmith, make sure you show us what your welding.

So here is a picture of the front bumper with the 6" long receiver I had bought for $10.

I measured out the centerline of the bumper and marked everything off for the cutout for the receiver. I drilled holes in the corners and used a die grinder to cutout the section.

After the hole was cut, I inserted the receiver and cut it to the correct length. In this picture you can see how far forward I moved the holes for the pin.

This is with it pushed all the way back, it actually ended up about a 1/8" forward from this spot.

I made sure the bumper was at the correct angle of 90* to the ground.

I tack welded the receiver in place and got it pretty close. I had to use a hammer to tap it into the correct alignment.

Bumper is at 0* to the ground, ie. flat.

I made sure the receiver was set at the same angle before final welding. I also measured side to side to make sure the receiver was as square as possible.

I welded it in from the back side. Not super pretty welds but they should have good penetration.

Reinforcements are coming up next.
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #1300
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Love the Angle Master.. I'm always working without a level floor
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM   #1301
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

The angle master is a wonderful tool. It might be a little pricey at the ~$250 price range but it is essential when making mods such as this and is priceless when checking driveling angles. The carpenter style angle masters you get from Sears are very good, especially for the $15 they cost, but having a digital readout down to the .0* is simply awesome.
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #1302
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Mike where did you get yours???
Unread 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #1303
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
Mike where did you get yours???
Mine is employer supplied. You can buy them in various places but if you are seriously considering one, send me a PM and I can probably get you one at a discount.
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:31 AM   #1304
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Nice work Mike.

My build thread
Unread 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM   #1305
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Receiver Reinforcement

I finished welding the front side of the receiver and yes I chiseled off that little ball of slag.

I figured I had used pieces of my old engine mounts for reinforcements on everything else on the front bumper, I might as well use what was left for the receiver portion. The two remaining pieces were marked at 45* on the ends and trimmed. One side is just a little longer than the other, that will be the bumper side of the gusset.

I ended up with some pretty stout little gussets that are the perfect size to tie in the sides of the receiver to the back of the bumper.

Here are the gussets sitting in place ready to be welded in but I wanted to get a coat of weldable primer on everything first.

In typical overkill fashion I decided to also add small gussets on the top and bottom. I used the piece I had cut from the end of the receiver and trimmed it down to fit. I needed to narrow it down so I cut about a half inch from the center and welded it back together.

Here is where it will sit to support the bottom of the receiver. I made a smaller one to sit on the top side.

I tacked in one side solid.

The other side in place.

Top of the passenger's side all welded in.

The top of the driver's side all welded in.

Flipped it over and started welding the bottoms of the gussets.

Here is the other side. I was welding right to left and ran out of wire a 1/4" too soon. I wish my welder would hold more than 2# spools of wire. I think that makes 32# through the HF welder with no problems to date.

Finished welding and now I just need to clean it up for painting.

So here is the finished front bumper with no other major modifications planned. As a matter of fact, that should be the last of the welding projects for the Jeep unless I come up with something else to build. I just need to get it and the winch plate painted. Yet another thing I have to wait on warmer weather for.

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.