Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 85 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM   #1261
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Winch Plate and Front Bumper

The winch mounting plate and front bumper are the last of the large items that need fabrication. Here is my $30 universal winch mounting plate from Harbor Freight, basically 1/4" thick steel plate bent up with a hundred holes drilled in it.

The winch plate would not fit between the bumper and the grill due to the design of the bumper. I had to give the winch plate a little more mounting room. I started by notching the spots where the front tubes in the bumper contact the plate.

I slowly ground out the metal to match the shape of the tube on the bumper. The white line is the furthest I can go back before it would contact the actual winch.

This is a good start but it still needs to go back just a little bit more.

Once I got it resting in the correct location, I marked the mounting plate where to cut so there is a 1/4" worth of metal hanging over the edge of the frame rail. I also circled any holes I definitely wanted to weld shut.

The driver's side was basically the same. Notice the old hole in the top of the bumper. That is what was used to bolt it to the top of the frame. With the way the winch mount sits, I can no longer really use that hole.

So I cut up my old twisted engine mounts and used them to add tabs to the bumper.

One for the passengers side.

I pulled the bumper off and cleaned them up for welding.

That should hold it.

Ground off my ugly weld and also filled the old hole.

Driver's side tab got the same treatment.

Welded on both sides.

Cleaned up with the old hole welded shut. I'll trim the tabs to shape later.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:04 PM   #1262
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Winch Plate Mods

Next I cut the ends of the plate off leaving that 1/4" overhang from the frame rail.

I was originally planning to simply take the cut section, turn it 90 degrees and bolt it to the frame. The 1/4" plate would line up with the 1/4" overhang and give me a nice ledge to weld them together. The angle iron is just a temporary spacer to hold it flat.

After messing with the cut pieces it was obvious they were going to be a little bit too short to go with my original plan so I cut them almost in half and plan to use the existing bend in the metal as a leg. I had to weld closed the holes that won't be needed.

Here is one flipped over so you can see the penetration from welding one side. Once you get both sides filled with puddle, there is very little final grinding if done right.

Here are the four legs with all of the holes closed up.

I drilled a hole in the front leg to mount it at the correct height and clamped it to the plate. You can see a piece of 3/8" angle iron between the bumper and outer frame rail, one of those on each side and the two bolts through the top is the only thing that held the bumper on.

I got the passenger's side clamped into place.

So I tacked that up and got the rear leg bolted in position and clamped up ready for a tack weld.

The driver's side is the same and uses the same bolt for the HD steering box mount.

Here are both legs tacked into place. Notice the 1" overhang on the rear leg, I will weld and trim a piece of angle iron between the leg and the plate as additional support.

Driver's side is tacked into place. Time to pull it back off and burn some metal.
Unread 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #1263
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike the winch mounting plate looks like it's coming together very well for you. I gotta say that you don't waste anything either. In this day and age where most everything is made to be disposable you salvage all of the scraps you cut off and reused them. That kind of work is what I grew up around and appreciate seeing it.

Looking forward to seeing it painted and installed.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 04:05 PM   #1264
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Welding the Winch Mounting Plate

Thanks Jim. Yeah, metal is expensive and also time consuming to find and purchase. I was trying to reuse everything I could as long as it was sufficient enough to do the job.

I got the plate off and turned over. Hit it with the wire wheel and fired up the welder. The HF 220v MIG is going to earn its' keep today.

Welding the thick stuff is kind of fun. Max out the current and play with the puddles.

I'm pretty sure these won't be coming apart anytime soon.

I ran double beads on the outside where the legs rolled under the plate. I also had a small piece of 3/16" angle floating around that seemed to keep showing up in odd spots, almost as if pleading to be used somewhere on the Jeep and not to be left on the shelf. So I granted its' wish and cut it up into smaller pieces.

I used the smaller pieces of angle iron to sandwich the legs on the plate. A wise man once told me "too strong is strong enough". Those should stiffen the legs if there was ever any doubt about their strength.

I gave all of those pieces a shot of weldable primer.

While waiting for the paint to dry I went ahead and cut a crush sleeve for the passenger's side rear mount. This will keep the frame from collapsing when I tighten the bolt down. The other side threads into the HD steering box mount.

I welded the caps onto the legs.

Here is a shot of the other side. The legs are pretty stiff. I'm pretty sure they wont be coming off.

Now I just have to clean everything up with some minor grinding and sanding to get it ready for paint. The winch is held to the plate with four 3/8" bolts. The plate is mounted to the Jeep with six bolts, two 7/16" and four 1/2" bolts. I'm not sure if there is a weak link to this project but I sure hope to never find out what it is.

Now it is time to get the front bumper tied to the frame a little better than before. I have a few small improvements in mind.
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #1265
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Front Bumper Clevis Install

As I stated earlier, the front bumper was only held to the frame with a couple pieces of 3/8" angle iron at the outer frame rails and by a couple bolts on top. I used to have some 10,000# hooks on the top of the frame rails that did have one common bolt with the bumper. With the winch plate installed I can no longer use the hooks but I obviously want some sort of recovery points installed. I purchased a set of the 1" thick clevis mounts from Besrk, Eddie made them to the exact length I needed.

I had to start by cutting the holes in the bumper face. I traced the correct location on the back side of the bumper and drilled four holes at the corners. Then I used the angle grinder to connect the dots.

Here is the other side cut out.

Here you can see how the clevis will hug the inner frame rail.

Slide it into place.

It backs all the way to the front crossmember and sits level with the nut there on Jim's shackle hanger.

The external mounting depth looks good and is set the same depth as the ones in the rear bumper.

Here you see the two holes going through the frame. The rear hole is the one for the winch mounting plate front leg.

I marked the holes and removed the clevis so they could be drilled and tapped. I did that at a friends house with a drill press and better vise than mine. The front hole is 7/16" and the rear hole is tapped for a 1/2" bolt.

I slipped the clevis back through the hole and made sure the bolt holes lined up.

I installed the bolts and made sure the bumper was in the correct position and tacked them into place.

Picture of the other side.

I pulled the bumper back off and positioned it in a way I could make easier horizontal welds. I started on the back side of the bumper.

It is a lot easier to make nice welds when in a comfortable position.

Here you can see the penetration of the welds from the front side.

One more shot of the other side clevis where you can see the penetration of the weld coming from the back side.

Next I welded the clevis on the front side. I know I'm not a pro welder but I think they look pretty good.

A picture of the other side.

This effectively ties the bumper and winch mounting plate together with the frame and accomplishes my main goal of having some nice recovery points that connect directly to the frame. With my original plans, this was as far as I was going to go but I started picturing how winch loads would be applied to the clevis tabs and figured too strong is strong enough so the wheels in my head started turning again. Reinforcements to be made.
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #1266
83vert
1982 CJ7 

Dude, Those welds look great
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #1267
1983 CJ7 

Great write up Mike!
Unread 03-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #1268
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Dear God, that winch mounting plate and clevis tab setup is probably the strongest I've ever seen. Great job with the materials salvaging and how much support there is on that thing. Not too sure what I'm going to do for mine, but I'll worry about that when the time comes.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:34 AM   #1269
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike I think you've got everything anchored very well. I like the way you tied the clevis mounts to the frame and bumper, that will stay. The winch plate won't be moving either.

One thing you might consider in the future. When you welded the bumper tabs on and ground the welds off you grind away some of the strength of the weld. To help avoid this grind a generous 45 one the edge of the tab and the bumper. The weld will fill that V that way you won't gring much weld away thus making a stronger joint.

My build thread
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #1270
batmn77
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Mike, I really really love that air filter idea. Especially the MAF mounting in a somewhat stock location. I doubt I can fit something similar to mine, it's going to be tight no matter what

I think I could probably mount mine to the driver side fender like yours, but that may end up being covered with relays and fuses.

If you've got any ideas feel free to shoot them my way I'd love to avoid a K&N for probably the same reasons as you.
I would def. take that LS1 over the 5.0 any day, but i am biased b/c of my daily driver!

Coiz, you're work is flawless!
batmn77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:51 PM   #1271
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
Dude, Those welds look great
Thanks, on the ones I knew were going to be visible I spent just a little extra time and concentration on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Great write up Mike!
Thanks Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02 View Post
Dear God, that winch mounting plate and clevis tab setup is probably the strongest I've ever seen. Great job with the materials salvaging and how much support there is on that thing.
Thanks. If you think it is strong now, wait until you see what I did last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmn77 View Post
I would def. take that LS1 over the 5.0 any day, but i am biased b/c of my daily driver!

Coiz, you're work is flawless!
Thanks. The Corvette engine would be fun but I bleed blue so the Cobra is a better match for me.
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #1272
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Mike I think you've got everything anchored very well. I like the way you tied the clevis mounts to the frame and bumper, that will stay. The winch plate won't be moving either.

One thing you might consider in the future. When you welded the bumper tabs on and ground the welds off you grind away some of the strength of the weld. To help avoid this grind a generous 45 one the edge of the tab and the bumper. The weld will fill that V that way you won't grind much weld away thus making a stronger joint.
Thanks Jim. On most of the larger pieces I was grinding off the sharp edges to make an easier weld. In going back and looking at the pictures you can only see it on the top side of the bumper tabs and only one of the winch plate leg caps. I guess that is just from the order in which I was taking pictures. The bottom of the bumper tabs are the only ones I didn't grind out before welding, good eye. Thanks for the tip. Your at the top of the list of guys I would gladly taking welding advice from.
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #1273
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Clevis Reinforcements

Looking at the clevis sticking through the back side of the bumper, you can see how much leverage it has on the face of the bumper and potentially the frame. There is lots of free space on the back side of the bumper between the frame rails, perfect for stiffening up the clevis mounts. As I was digging through my scrap metal pile looking for a suitable piece to make a gusset with, I noticed my old engine mounts would work perfectly. So, instead of a simple piece of angle iron or a single gusset, my old engine mounts were the exact size needed to reinforce the clevis.

Here is a picture of an old engine mount. I had already cut off the tabs where it bolts to the engine block and used those as the upper tabs on the bumper.

I followed its natural angle and cut off the extra material.

You can see how it is the exact width to make a perfect dual gusset on the clevis and still allow me access to the threaded holes. I did this in case the threads ever get messed up, I can simply drill them out and use a through bolt with a nut on the back side. I may even use a nut anyway to act as a lock nut on the bolts coming through the frame rails.

I cut off the corners to add to the gusset arms so they reach all the way to the clevis.

Ready to test fit the pieces and weld on the extensions. I wasn't worried about how any of this was going to look because you can't see any of it while installed.

Here they are welded on and ready to be attached to the bumper and clevis.

Give everything a nice coat of weldable primer.

Got this side tacked into place.

Other side is tacked up.

I flipped it over and got the top side all welded.

A picture of the top welds on the other side.

Got everything welded on the bottom side.

The bottom of the other side all welded up.

Here is the back side of the driver's side mount with the bumper in the correct location. You can see how much room there is for the bracing I made.

Passengers side has more room than the driver's side.

Final test fit and everything went together as expected. Now I just need to get rid of the four holes in the front face where the 3/8" angle iron was bolted on.
Unread 03-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #1274
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Mike, nice work on the plates. Thanks for the details; I picked up some general tips. I especially like the use of the small angle peices as beef ups.

Everyone seems to dis the Harbor Freight 220v MIG, but you've done some great work with it.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #1275
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike you're getting so much done it's like you're on a quest!! I like the braces. They turned out great!! I think what you've done there is eliminated any chance of tearing the bumper, clevis mounts or winch off the frame. Great job.

Hey have you thought about adding a front reciever to the bumper like what's on the back. It might be handy down the road sometime. Also I was looking at how the bottom of the bumper is below the frame, is there a way to incorporate a skid in the bumper for your steering box? Looks like you have the room.

My build thread

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.