Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 83 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 03-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #1231
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Coiz, I am going to stop reading your thread! You just cost me $35.00! I just ordered the billet twin stick knobs for my JB Sticks...
Hey Ned Mike's just helping our economy out.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #1232
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I was just going back thru your thread because I am repairing my tub under the jeep logo and someone reminded me that you had the same issue. Looking back at how bad your tub was to begin with gives me a whole new respect for what you have accomplished.
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #1233
jpywell52
1979 CJ7 

re; welding .026. That's real thin. You'll need a TIG or have to braze/silver solder it. I'd find an old hood or trunk lid like was mentioned earlier.
jpywell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #1234
TSyl
2001 WJ 

WOW!!! 3+ days of reading and I am current. As has been said so much throughout this thread, you have done an absolutely amazing job on both the Jeep and all the photo's and write up's covering virtually every step! The time and effort you have put in to thread is greatly appreciated and has made me feel like a fly on the wall watching the whole process (not one of flies in the paint, though!! )

While this isn't my first post I think is in the CJ Forum. I have a WJ and have spent most of my time there. However, as my grandparents (who live in Gunnison) get older I have been thinking about what they will do with their CJ5 (which I think is an early 70's, my gramps isn't sure what year it is). I spent 6 weeks every summer at their place from the time I was three until I was 18. Some of my best memories are going out 4-wheeling with them and the club they belonged to way back in the day, thus it now is VERY sentimental). I would love to end up with the CJ5 and basically just restore it. This is what has me wandering into the CJ area, your thread has really given me good idea of what I would be in for.

Teaser (and only photo I have at the moment )

Thanks again!

edit: After looking at this pic a bit, lookes to be '71 ( and at least 4 yr's older than I) or earlier based on the shorter hood/front clip and "Jeep" stamp.

TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #1235
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lealand View Post
Wow, it has taken several days to go through this build. First of all i would just like to say WOW!! I know it has all been said before but you sir are amazing. I am in the middle of building my 79 cj5 and I can't wait to use some of the things i have learned here. It is going so slow due to being a college student and the fact that I am getting married in May. I hope to be close to done by then since my time will drop to even less then. You are an inspiration to us all. I wish i had HALF the skills you have!! I cant wait to see yours finished!!
Thank you for taking the time to read through the entire thread and post about it. I had just bought my CJ while in college in 1994 and was out wheeling in it at least twice a week, usually more. The nice thing was, I had almost free reign of the college auto department shops.

The cost of keeping it running and having fun with it was a lot less than the restoration. I can't imaging restoring one while going to college. Good luck and don't forget to take a lot of pictures and post a thread with some before and after shots. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedmoore View Post
Coiz, I am going to stop reading your thread! You just cost me $35.00! I just ordered the billet twin stick knobs for my JB Sticks...
lol, they do look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I was just going back thru your thread because I am repairing my tub under the jeep logo and someone reminded me that you had the same issue. Looking back at how bad your tub was to begin with gives me a whole new respect for what you have accomplished.
Thanks. I've caught myself going back through it in a little bit of amazement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Hey Ned Mike's just helping our economy out.
Seems like I've been doing my best lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpywell52 View Post
re; welding .026. That's real thin. You'll need a TIG or have to braze/silver solder it. I'd find an old hood or trunk lid like was mentioned earlier.
I bought a sheet of 26 gauge for $15 and think I am going to make one out of that again. I can cut it with tin snips and it is easy to work with. If it doesn't work out the way I want I'll consider a trunk lid or that aluminum diamond plating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSyl View Post
WOW!!! 3+ days of reading and I am current. As has been said so much throughout this thread, you have done an absolutely amazing job on both the Jeep and all the photo's and write up's covering virtually every step! The time and effort you have put in to thread is greatly appreciated and has made me feel like a fly on the wall watching the whole process (not one of flies in the paint, though!! )

While this isn't my first post I think is in the CJ Forum. I have a WJ and have spent most of my time there. However, as my grandparents (who live in Gunnison) get older I have been thinking about what they will do with their CJ5 (which I think is an early 70's, my gramps isn't sure what year it is). I spent 6 weeks every summer at their place from the time I was three until I was 18. Some of my best memories are going out 4-wheeling with them and the club they belonged to way back in the day. I would love to end up with the CJ5 and basically just restore it. This is what has me wandering into the CJ area, your thread has really given me good idea of what I would be in for.

Thanks again!
You're Welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read through the thread. You are right that it takes a lot of time to post about it but as I've said many times before, the enthusiastic responses from other Jeepers makes it all worth it.

That would be cool to inherit your grandfathers CJ but don't forget free Jeeps aren't free.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:00 PM   #1236
TSyl
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
That would be cool to inherit your grand fathers CJ but remember free Jeeps aren't free.
It's wierd, I am typically not that emotional, but, catch myself getting choked up a bit thinking of why I would end up with and how bad it would feel if I didn't.

As far free Jeeps not being free...it is better than paying for one THEN putting a bunch of money in it!!!
TSyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #1237
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Adding Power for Amps

I had originally ran one 6 gauge wire to feed both of my amps, I had the old school Alpine and the Boss 80Wx2. Both of their fuse ratings were less then the rating of a 6 gauge wire. After upgrading both of my stereo amps to new Alpine units, their fuses add up close to the maximum for a 6 gauge wire.

Both amps recommend having their own 8 gauge feed. If you take two same gauged wires and add them together they are equal to 3 gauges less than the two you started with. So two 8 gauge wires added together is equal to a 5 gauge wire. Since I only had a single 6 gauge wire, I wanted to add another power wire feed to do it right. I've come to far to skimp on this and the only way to do it right is to add it to the main harness.

This required removing the fender flare, disconnecting my air cleaner and dropping the fender on the tire to give me some room to work on the harness. Out came the razor blade and a lot of patience.

The stock configuration of the BJB I have had fuses 25 and 32, each with 50A fuses, and 8 gauge wires that spliced together into a single 6 gauge wire inside the BJB. The 6 gauge wire to the amps was a direct solder to the 6 gauge connection from the BJB (you can see the large green with purple tracer on the left). The problem I had is that I don't have another connection larger than 10 gauge but I do have several 10 gauge feeds left. Two 10 gauge feeds added together equals a 7 so that will feed my 8 gauge wire perfectly. So now fuses 24 and 31 share the load to my 4 channel amp. I just need to half the fuse size to each of the two feeds to equal my total circuit protection.

Takes some heat to solder those bad boys.

Had to stretch the heat shrink on there, I ran out of the middle sized. I taped it too.

I re-taped the harness under the battery tray and also inside the passengers compartment. I had to cut and re-tape the harness that goes up over the glove box and all the way to behind the seats, what a PITA. Do you see my ground to the blower motor?

I put the fender back on and reinstalled the flare. I also put the front bumper in place. It's going to take some work to modify my winch mounting plate to work with the bumper.

So now I have a 6 gauge feed for my sub amp and an 8 gauge feed for my 4 ch amp.
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #1238
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

I guess it's a good thing you didn't apply those side decals yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM   #1239
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
I guess it's a good thing you didn't apply those side decals yet
I was debating if I should apply them with the fenders off so the decals wrap around the corner and get pinched between the pieces. Remember I have pieces for the rockers and the fenders. Otherwise, I guess I can either span the gap or cut them 1/16" from the gap on each side to leave a little white. That's how they do it on the Shelby.
Unread 03-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #1240
83vert
1982 CJ7 

If there is one thing that I hate it is going back and undoing something that I already did. Mike you patience is paying off, everything looks great and is done right.
Unread 03-05-2011, 02:24 PM   #1241
scooby533
1986 CJ7 

Stripes

My vote is for the wrap around effect on the tub. I know it's gonna be a PIA to remove the fender to do it, but it will look MUCH better. You've gone this far to make it look as it does, why stop w/ that? Everyone will see that, not that that matters, but what does is the fact you'll see it every time.............Just sayin! Then again, I'm not doing the work so......................
scooby533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #1242
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Dont take this wrong, and Im sure you dont care about my opinion....but I just dont like the look of that bumper. It doesnt fit your theme and style.

Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

Ben
Unread 03-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #1243
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Top notch work on the wiring Mike. I like the wrap around pinstripe idea too. Hey whe's then hood going on, sinece Scott hasn't said it I figure I'll take up the slack.

Mike I was thinking about what kind of bumper to make for mine. Yours is as practical as it gets and I like that. Most everybody wants the stinger sticking out in front and I know the purpose but I like yours too.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #1244
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83vert View Post
If there is one thing that I hate it is going back and undoing something that I already did. Mike you patience is paying off, everything looks great and is done right.
It is annoying having to go back and do things over but it is worth it to do it right. This wasn't the first thing on the Jeep that I had to take two steps back in order to take one step forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby533 View Post
My vote is for the wrap around effect on the tub. I know it's gonna be a PIA to remove the fender to do it, but it will look MUCH better. You've gone this far to make it look as it does, why stop w/ that? Everyone will see that, not that that matters, but what does is the fact you'll see it every time.............Just sayin! Then again, I'm not doing the work so......................
That was my plan all along. The nice thing about a fresh rebuild is all the nuts and bolts come out and go together easily. I only have to loosen them off by about 1/4" to have enough room to wrap the decals around the edge of the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benullman View Post
......and Im sure you dont care about my opinion.....

Maybe it just takes some getting used to.

Ben
I think you will get used to it, so I guess you're right on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Top notch work on the wiring Mike. I like the wrap around pinstripe idea too. Hey whe's then hood going on, sinece Scott hasn't said it I figure I'll take up the slack.

Mike I was thinking about what kind of bumper to make for mine. Yours is as practical as it gets and I like that. Most everybody wants the stinger sticking out in front and I know the purpose but I like yours too.
The hood will be ready to go on about 3 hours after I get a solid 60 degree day in the garage, that and a friend to help put it on. I need it that warm for the 3M polishes to work.

This bumper has some key features.
1. It is paid for
2. It is already built
3. It is heavy duty
4. It is guaranteed to fit
5. It is paid for
6. It only needs minor mods.
7. It has already saved my passenger's fender from destruction multiple times
8. It is paid for

I'm going to add a few upgrades and get my winch mounting plate to tie in with everything but I don't see running anything else in the near future.

If Eddie or Jim wants to see how one of their new bumpers looks on my rig I won't turn them down but until then this is what I'll run.
Unread 03-06-2011, 07:01 AM   #1245
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I think you will get used to it, so I guess you're right on both counts.
Best response post ive ever got! LOL

The JEEPs looking good!

Ben

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.