Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 79 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #1171
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Mike, I have one of the Mopar AMC Jeep badges and it's pretty good. Mounting tape on it has held great. Pic did not come out very well but looks just like yours.

-Paul

dscf0034.jpg  
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #1172
oxynerd
1973 CJ6 

love your jeep, i been reading it for past two days or so. i have one question right now. what kind of air compresser/tank do you have or how big. I should have my own CJ6 with in the next couple weeks.

keep up the good work, cant wait to see that hood on there
oxynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #1173
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I kind of like the idea of the old badge showing a little history, but at the same time I think it would be out of place compared to the rest of your build IMO.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #1174
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatepper View Post
Those 5.0 stickers look pretty slick! Very nice!
Thanks, as long as I don't screw up the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ7 View Post
Mike, I have one of the Mopar AMC Jeep badges and it's pretty good. Mounting tape on it has held great. Pic did not come out very well but looks just like yours.

-Paul
Thanks Paul. I think I'll pick one of those up for the $20. It looks good. I like the white on your CJ, do you know what specific color that is? I thought I was looking at my Jeep for a second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxynerd View Post
love your jeep, i been reading it for past two days or so. i have one question right now. what kind of air compresser/tank do you have or how big. I should have my own CJ6 with in the next couple weeks.

keep up the good work, cant wait to see that hood on there
Thanks. My compressor is a Craftsman 6.5HP, 60 gallon, 240v, 15 scfm @40psi, 11.5 scfm @90 psi. I bought it about the same time as my tire changing machine in the summer of 2000. I picked it up from a guy I barely knew who was going through a divorce. He was dumping everything he had for cash. Just the tank was going for $700 back then, I paid him $350 for it with a hose, regulator and water separator. It was only 5 months old, he had the receipt, and I could tell he had never used it. It actually just fell in my lap right at the perfect time back then.

It is a bit loud and you should really add a 1/4 turn drain valve to the bottom to get the water out. As far as performance is concerned it is a nice really nice compressor, it's just noisy. Mine has powered that tire machine through literally hundreds of motorcycle tire changes. It also made it through the Jeep and a bunch of motorcycle painting. I'd have to say I've been happy with my half priced Craftsman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdogtoy View Post
I kind of like the idea of the old badge showing a little history, but at the same time I think it would be out of place compared to the rest of your build IMO.
I agree, I'll buy a replacement for the back of the Jeep. I can either hide the original away with the title or I can put it in the glove box or on the inside of the glove box door. That might be a good extra touch at car shows.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 03:29 AM   #1175
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
The CJ emblem is heavy and looks like I can just paint that pretty easily to freshen it up.
All I did (on my "CJ-7 badge") was paint it with two coats of semi-gloss black (you can use flat if you like) and when it was dry, I used a razor blade to scrape the paint off the raised section and I shot it with a coat of clear to protect it. It came out perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 03:37 AM   #1176
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Curious why you chose nerf bars in lieu of sliders with a tube step? Also, do you think that the forward most part of the 5.0 HO sticker should end at the front fender instead of where it is now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #1177
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks Paul. I think I'll pick one of those up for the $20. It looks good. I like the white on your CJ, do you know what specific color that is? I thought I was looking at my Jeep for a second.
Mine is on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to your paint job! That is about 8 coats of Rustoleum rolled on.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #1178
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Mine is on the opposite side of the spectrum compared to your paint job! That is about 8 coats of Rustoleum rolled on.
All hail Rustoleum!... My main source of new looking (temporarily) shiny surfaces, too. I have even been thinking in doing my grill, fenders, bumpers and hood with too. I'll never be able to pull off what Mike has done.
Unread 02-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #1179
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike those pinstripes look outstanding. Nice job Graffxman . If I decide to put any on mine they will definately be coming from you!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:09 AM   #1180
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh... I am searching for something to say!! I wish I lived close to you Mike so I could say, "Yeah... I know him. He's one of my friends!" The pin stripes add so much. Way to go Graffxman!!!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #1181
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can't wait for you to pull the paper!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #1182
Graffxman
1976 CJ7 

I can quit biting my nails now. Those decals look like they fit perfect. Easy to do when I get specs as detailed as Coiz sent. Very clear instructions from him, down to the 16th inch. Can't wait to see them complete.
Unread 02-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #1183
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Love the decals!
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #1184
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
All I did (on my "CJ-7 badge") was paint it with two coats of semi-gloss black (you can use flat if you like) and when it was dry, I used a razor blade to scrape the paint off the raised section and I shot it with a coat of clear to protect it. It came out perfect!
That sounds like what I had basically planned for mine. I was either going to razor blade or use fine sand paper to remove the paint from the raised parts of the letters. It looks like that's what the factory did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
Curious why you chose nerf bars in lieu of sliders with a tube step? Also, do you think that the forward most part of the 5.0 HO sticker should end at the front fender instead of where it is now?
The nerf bars were on it when I bought it. When I originally started the restore it wasn't planned to be a full frame off so it never really occurred to me that I could/should cut them off and go with something different. I've never really minded the nerf bars but in hind sight I guess I could have at least considered and looked into something different. I do know something like Jim's set up would have been pretty cool. I can always pull out the cutoff wheel and another can of POR.

I had always pictured the 5.0 HO centered with the Jeep stamp in my head. It looks like I have enough decal to move it quite a bit in either direction. I might play with it to see what it would look like.

Quote:
Well, it's bright and looks good in pictures. I'll bet it's a whole lot easier to touch up than mine if/when it gets scratched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
All hail Rustoleum!... My main source of new looking (temporarily) shiny surfaces, too. I have even been thinking in doing my grill, fenders, bumpers and hood with too. I'll never be able to pull off what Mike has done.
Anyone can do what I did, they just need a lot of time, patients, money and fast growing hair so you don't run out of something to pull out of your head when you end up having to repaint pieces multiple times. Besides, your beast is on a whole other level of fabrication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Mike those pinstripes look outstanding. Nice job Graffxman . If I decide to put any on mine they will definately be coming from you!
Graffxman was super nice and really easy to work with, definitely recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Oh... I am searching for something to say!! I wish I lived close to you Mike so I could say, "Yeah... I know him. He's one of my friends!" The pin stripes add so much. Way to go Graffxman!!!
Thanks Scott, you can claim me as a friend anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Can't wait for you to pull the paper!!!
Me too. Makes me want to fire up the heater in the garage just so I can put them on. I'm thinking my little bullet heater would take too much propane to get me where I need it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffxman View Post
I can quit biting my nails now. Those decals look like they fit perfect. Easy to do when I get specs as detailed as Coiz sent. Very clear instructions from him, down to the 16th inch. Can't wait to see them complete.
There was no doubt they were going to turn out great. Thanks again.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #1185
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Hey Mike I've got an idea on your garage not being warm enough to allow you to put the pinstrpies on!! My shop is heated and you can bring it here, of course it'll need to sit for a while to get warmed up. Maybe 10 years or so. Anyway you are sure welcome to bring it here and do all the work you want. I'll even take pictures for you! You never knew you had such good friends did you?

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.