Thanks for the comments guys. Reading those replies is what makes this all worth it. I really like it when they are someone's first post.
I figured I could go ahead and install the rear fender flares. If you remember I had cut the rear fender wells to help with clearance for the 35's I intend to get. I had welded the holes shut since I was going to be moving the flare up 3" at the front.
Since the shape of the opening has been modified the new flares needed to be trimmed on the ends so they would sit flush against the body. What used to follow the curve at the back is now a straight shot so I had to trim the new flare to match so it would sit flush. Here is the new flare unmodified.
I used my angle grinder to cut the relief needed to let the flare sit flush on the body. You can see how I slipped and almost cut into the face of the flare which would have been visible from the outside. Thankfully I didn't ruin this side. The other side came out perfect.
The same thing with the front lip, I needed to trim it just enough to where it would sit flat.
This was an easy trim to make it flat.
I had originally installed the original flares and marked and drilled the holes to match but my original flares were a much softer type of plastic and much more flexible. The new flares are fairly hard plastic so when trying to make them conform to my new cut fender well, not all of the holes lined up exactly with the original flares. So I attached the flare and the furthest rear hole to where it lined up at the correct height and used vice grips to hold it in the correct position. From there I used a 90* drill to get into the tight spot to drill a new hole in the flare to match the one already drilled into the Jeep.
Once it was secured, I moved the vice grips up to the next hole and repeated the process for any that were not already in the correct spots. Most either lined up or were about 1/8" off, no big deal.
Here is the passengers side fully mounted.
A shot of the driver's side installed. You can pick out that the fender has been cut but I think the 35's are going to fill that in nicely.
The 3" gap left at the front is where I will add my pin striping to follow along the body line of the tub up to the front fenders. I just ordered and paid for my custom pin striping so I should get it in the next couple of weeks. I think I want to wait until the weather gets a little warmer before I try to apply the decals. I think the adhesion during initial installation would be better at 60* instead of the ~35* my garage is currently at.
I just found my thermostat housing has a small leak so I am going to pull that off and reseal it. Once that is done I will install the front flares. Back out to the garage.