Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 75 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #1111
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

I know that I could stick an antenna anywhere in my Piper Colt airplane. It was a tube and fabric aircraft.

Kit builders of aluminum aircraft who want a really clean slippery plane don't want to install bristles to the hull of the their aircraft and put their antennas inside the plastic/fiberglass wingtips.

The metal skin is a perfect shield. Under the hood, in the tub or inside the rollbar... same deal.

Unread 01-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #1112
NathanCalvert
1999 TJ Wrangler 

RE: Answer for Davidnex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidnex View Post
"(3) Who wants radio while jeeping?"
Well David when at the trails, or playing in the mud I would agree. However my rig is a daily driver, and most of the places I go to wheel are at least an hour away. That's the reason I like to have a radio.

Hope that helps
Respectfully
Nathan
NathanCalvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #1113
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Stereo Head Unit

I figured I better give some of you guys an update before you disown me. With all this talk about the radio I decided that there wasn't any reason not to install my Alpine head unit. The cage was a pretty simple step since it was brand new.

It slid right into place and I only pulled down on a couple securing tangs to initially hold it in place. I want to make sure everything works and fits with all those wires before I bend them into place.

Pretty simple on the hook ups. I am going to use the Red, Yellow, Blue and Black wires. I might hook up the Orange if the stereo illumination is too bright at night. The rest of the connections will be through RCA.

I already had my wires pre-ran, here is a shot of the ground connection.

I had already shown where I ran the radio antenna wire. Just need to get it secured with good 3M tape.

As you can see that quickly turns into a fairly large bundle of wires behind the head unit.

I ran all the wires going to the amps up over the glove box and down the passenger's side A-pillar to ultimately have them end behind the front seats. I added some convolute and tape to the first half of the harness. Note there are three sets of RCA, 2 pair of front speaker wires, Aux input wire, amp remote on wire, a 6 gauge power wire and an 8 gauge ground wire. (Please don't start preaching about how I should have ran battery cables to my amps. The two amps fuses total 40A and 6 gauge wire at an 8 foot run can handle 65A and that's considering all the gains and volumes maxed out, which they never will be.)

This is the general idea to route the harness. I'll just need to secure it up under that lip. Also notice where I ended up installing the tweeter. I know they are supposed to be kind of in your face but that was the best thing I could come up with without cutting holes in my painted dash or trying to run the wires up the roll bar. I figure they are out of sight, out of mind, and out of the elements.

Here is the driver's side. I will end up running that harness up over the parking brake mount. I still need to run the interior lighting wires through that harness so I will move it at the same time.

The head unit turned right on and works as expected.

Next up for the stereo is driving the CJ over to my friends house with a woodworking shop in his basement. We are going to build a more custom box to hold the subs and amps. I might even try to incorporate the rear speakers into it.

Next main steps are to fab a trans plate cover and modify my winch mounting plate to work with my front bumper. I've also got hood work to do and could also mount my tailgate and twin stick.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:28 PM   #1114
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Mike you must dust that thing every day!! It's spotless.

Great work on installing the Alpine. Very neat.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #1115
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Subs and speakers in a Jeep???? Come on!!!! hehehehe I did enjoy wheelin in the TJ with tunes!!! I put a powered bazooka bass tube (had that thing from like 1990!!!) in the back with speaker separates in the overhead bar. Sounded decent with a crappy head unit… now you got me thinking about how I'm going to add speakers to mine…… CRAP!!!!! One more thing to add to the list!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #1116
Davidnex
1979 CJ5 

Mike, thanks for the lesson, helps me to improve my installation
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:08 PM   #1117
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Looking real nice

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 09:27 PM   #1118
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
... I've also got hood work to do and could also mount my tailgate and twin stick.

You're a Master with wiring Mike. Head unit looks very good. You had me scared for a minute. I been back and forth through several pages looking for a shot with the hood on. I never found one, so I guess you are still working on it?? I don't want to miss it!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #1119
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

I feel a need to see that louvered hood installed, good work mike.
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #1120
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicR1 View Post
Subs and speakers in a Jeep???? Come on!!!! hehehehe I did enjoy wheelin in the TJ with tunes!!! ...
I drive my CJ about 50% of the time. After smoothing out some of the basic problems and getting it running reliably, the thing I missed most was having music and talk radio.

Even though I knew I'd have to pull it all out in the future to make repairs to the dash, tub, and whatever else, I decided it was worth the time to research, develop and install a good sounding stereo system because, well, that's what I wanted

Here's what I ended up doing:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ke...l#post10150002

After a few months of using the stereo system weekly or daily, I am very happy with it. The one thing I will change is the way the 5 1/4" speaker enclosures mount. They're just not bolted in securely. When I'm making the tub repairs, I will fabricate some brackets to allow the enclosures to bolt in from the bottom of the tub.
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #1121
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. I have been working on the hood off and on for a few weeks now. Shouldn't be too much longer before I'll be ready to install it. I had more issues with the clear coat that got sanded and cleared again. I did take pictures but not sure if they are worth posting. End result is about five coats worth of clear for me to be able to sand out the imperfections and buff to the finish I am expecting. I'll probably detail that a bit better as I get closer to being finished with it. I basically need it to be warmer than 55 degrees in my garage to be able to effectively polish it with the 3M products. There might be a few solvent pop issues I might not be able to work around but at this point I am sick of dealing with it. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out. Here is how the garage currently sits.

I figured I might as well post a few snow pictures since I just spent the last 2 hours shoveling out my driveway. Here was my back door at about 11 o'clock last night.

The walk leading to the front door. That drift is just a couple inches short of four feet at its' highest point.

The sidewalk is right at three feet.

The front yard.

Taller than the mail box.

This pile is over six feet because it is taller than I am and probably taller than the Super Duty if I backed it down the drive.

Here is at least one thing remotely Jeep related. I finally broke down and bought the HF welding cart. I intended to make my own but for the price with the 20% off, I couldn't pass it up. I really should have bought one of these two years ago. Lugging that welder and CO2 tank around the garage during all the tub work was a pain.
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #1122
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

wow

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #1123
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

with all those snow pics, do we see a plow build thread coming in the future?
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #1124
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
with all those snow pics, do we see a plow build thread coming in the future?
Ha. I was actually looking around on Craigslist for CJ stuff and did see a plow but I'm pretty sure this one won't see snow and salt for as long as I can help it. But, if I happen to find another CJ .
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #1125
twildt
1978 CJ5 

Mike i had to go back several pages to catch up, looking good man! I really like the MORE reinforcement idea and i agree and think your ride is going to be much more stable with Jim's shackle kit. Also want to see your custom speaker boxes and locations when your finished.
Habitual MSC#2 in summer and MSC#4 in winter.
My CJ Rebuild - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/tas-cj5-rebuild-1130279
My Youtube Channel - http://youtube.com/tawildt
Other Pics - http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k579/twildt/1978%20CJ-5/
twildt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.