Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy - Page 69 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Coiz 1979 CJ7 Frame Off Resto; picture crazy

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 12-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #1021
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

regarding zerk plugs, I ended up calling Alemite and they ended up sending me some free of charge...

1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:42 PM   #1022
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigo View Post
regarding zerk plugs, I ended up calling Alemite and they ended up sending me some free of charge...
I guess we'll see how long the free giveaway lasts now that it's advertised.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #1023
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

no kidding! I did have to plead a little bit...after all, I was only looking for 2, they ended up sending me 4...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #1024
NathanCalvert
1999 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Coiz;10410975]I'm just going to run the Zune as planned and eventually get a 32GB solid state thumb drive for the Jeep after they drop below $30.QUOTE]
Centon DSP32GB-001 DataStick Pro Flash Drive - 32GB at TigerDirect.com

Well the price is just about there, if you sign up for Tiger Directs news letter you will be amazed at the deals they have. Just keep an eye out for a thumb drive sale and you will be golden. Awesome build, I'm following it faithfully. Can't wait to see the finished product on the trails tearing it up.
NathanCalvert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #1025
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Doesn't that look great. The front end is coming together very nicely. Looks better than factory-new.

Are you going to be driving the CJ on the road or just undoing all of your amazing work riding trails only? I'm asking because the front hub greasing mod will over fill the cavities, really heat up and push through the seals I bet. As I say this I confess that after seeing my daily driver 1 ton 4x4 so poorly maintained I may have over greased the wheel bearings/hub cavity. I'll know come summer time for sure if I over did it with grease.
Unread 12-10-2010, 11:34 AM   #1026
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

[quote=NathanCalvert;10593543]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I'm just going to run the Zune as planned and eventually get a 32GB solid state thumb drive for the Jeep after they drop below $30.QUOTE]
Centon DSP32GB-001 DataStick Pro Flash Drive - 32GB at TigerDirect.com

Well the price is just about there, if you sign up for Tiger Directs news letter you will be amazed at the deals they have. Just keep an eye out for a thumb drive sale and you will be golden. Awesome build, I'm following it faithfully. Can't wait to see the finished product on the trails tearing it up.
Thanks for the link. Another great sight to check daily is slickdeals.net. Check that out if you never have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Doesn't that look great. The front end is coming together very nicely. Looks better than factory-new.

Are you going to be driving the CJ on the road or just undoing all of your amazing work riding trails only? I'm asking because the front hub greasing mod will over fill the cavities, really heat up and push through the seals I bet. As I say this I confess that after seeing my daily driver 1 ton 4x4 so poorly maintained I may have over greased the wheel bearings/hub cavity. I'll know come summer time for sure if I over did it with grease.
I'll most likely drive it on nothing but the road at first mainly because there are not a lot of off road trails even remotely close to where I live. This will be my sunny day driver and probably enter it into the local car shows until I find an area close enough to take it wheeling. I intend to own it forever and I also intend to retire in Colorado so there is no doubt it will get wheeled eventually but it will be a street machine at first.

I took a picture with one of the doors installed just because. I have done some things over the last few days I will be posting up at some point in the near future.
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #1027
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

No wonder you did such a great job rebuilding Mike. If you're going to retire in Colorado and wheel it it's going to have to last sveral years, you're still wet behind the ears at 38 years old.

Looks like a brand new door.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:20 PM   #1028
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I'm getting older by the minute but I'm still only 36. I'm thinking with the way I prepped the tub I should be able to drive and wheel it for 10-15 years or however long until the paint starts looking shoddy. At that point I should be able to simply sand it down to the primer and repaint to freshen it up. I spent a lot of time deciding between white or blue so I have a feeling the next time it will be blue but that is a long time out.

My soft doors are in great condition. The four little screws that hold on the handles are rusted and will be replaced with some SS screws. Other than that they are in excellent condition.
Unread 12-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #1029
jeepsterjc
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
No wonder you did such a great job rebuilding Mike. If you're going to retire in Colorado and wheel it it's going to have to last sveral years, you're still wet behind the ears at 38 years old.

Looks like a brand new door.
Oh yeah, I read that too and thought... "Boy, Mike sure must have a great thing going to retire in the foreseeable future!"

Quote:
I'm getting older by the minute but I'm still only 36. I'm thinking with the way I prepped the tub I should be able to drive and wheel it for 10-15 years or however long until the paint starts looking shoddy. At that point I should be able to simply sand it down to the primer and repaint to freshen it up. I spent a lot of time deciding between white or blue so I have a feeling the next time it will be blue but that is a long time out.

My soft doors are in great condition. The four little screws that hold on the handles are rusted and will be replaced with some SS screws. Other than that they are in excellent condition.
I'm 52 and have no plans on retiring. That's maybe another reason why I bought an aluminum tub- I don't plan on selling mine either and it has to last long enough for me to drop dead in my 90s while still at work!
Unread 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #1030
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:

See what 49 years does to a guy's mind. I added 2 years to your age! Makes me wonder what's going to leave me next.

Blue next time huh. Wouldn't be something if we're still here to watch another Coiz thread. I hope to be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsterjc View Post
Oh yeah, I read that too and thought... "Boy, Mike sure must have a great thing going to retire in the foreseeable future!"

I'm 52 and have no plans on retiring. That's maybe another reason why I bought an aluminum tub- I don't plan on selling mine either and it has to last long enough for me to drop dead in my 90s while still at work!
Jim I am of the same mindset as you are when it comes to retiring. I hope to still be working for myself, although even more independant, as time goes by and my health allow. Maybe by then I'll have my CJ done and can wheel with some of you guys.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 03:39 PM   #1031
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I am far from retirement but you can never start planning, or in my case dreaming about it, to soon.

Hey Jim, maybe you know someone with a little land that can be converted into an off road park? How cool would that be to have a couple hundred acres to turn into a four wheeling and camping attraction? You let the four wheelers come to you and pay a fee for the park plus you make some side money fixing peoples broken stuff. It would be seasonal but it's fool proof.

Honestly, I wouldn't even know. How much four wheeling do you have in that area? I know the closest place to me is like what I described above, pay to get in and I heard it gets crowded. I was also told it is known for eating sheet metal.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #1032
SonicR1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Mike, I'm right behind you, thank goodness I got a job that thought about retirement for me!!! 15 more years then on to my next career.

You know, "known for eating sheet metal," is the reason I am not too concerned about my bodywork!!! But it sure would be nice to have a CJ as beautiful as yours!!!

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sonics-05-tj-build-1168663/#post10985489"][COLOR="yellow"]The TJ[/COLOR][/URL]
2005 Wrangler X 4.0/6 speed, Dana 30/Ford 8.8--4.88--Eaton E-Lockers, 35" MT/R, Smittybilt bumpers/rockers/winch, SonicFab tire carrier, RE 3.5 springs, Zone 1.25 BL, FullTraction 3 link upper rear, RE super flex lower rears, UCF ultra high skid and lo/pro mount, brown dog mml.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sonics-74-cj5-build-1106795/"][COLOR="DarkOrange"]1974 CJ5 BUILD THREAD[/COLOR][/URL]
SonicR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #1033
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Driver's Front Spring Hanger

As most of you know I got a full set of Jim's Crabtree's shackle hangers. They came bead blasted and ready to paint. If you haven't added a set of these to your Christmas wish list, you need to ASAP!

I had washed them with Marine Clean then soaked them in Metal Ready.

I brushed on the POR15 and then coated with Blackcote.

I started in on the driver's side front first. You can see the original hanger along with a couple layers of dust.

Support the Jeep by the frame and removed the tire for more working room. I pulled out the shackle bolt and dropped the suspension down a little to give even more working room.

Here is a shot of the stock hanger next to Crabtree's. The weight difference between the two is astounding. The Crabtree hanger is so stout compared to the stock ones.

Here I have the new hanger in place and getting all the bolts lined up with my HD steering box mount. Everything lined up perfect. You can see I wasn't shy with the anti-seize.

This is a good shot from under the hanger showing how well everything fits together with the HD steering mount. I need to find a shorter bolt or cut the threads off that long one, it kind of bugs me. Unfortunately, the local store where I buy bulk grade 8 fasteners doesn't have the exact size I need for that one. They have 1" and 1.5" while I need the 1.25". I also need four 1.25" bolts for a few roll bar tie-ins so for now I went with the longer ones and will either cut them or swap them out later.

Here is a shot from the inside. You can see how I placed a couple washers in the gap where the front bumper is supposed to go. Either that gap won't be used or I will need to modify my front bumper and add an attachment tang so I can utilize that clamping point.

One last shot from the outside angle. These hangers really are sweet. Now on to the other side.
Unread 12-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #1034
cjdogtoy
1976 CJ5 

so whats the hidden surprise behind door #1
cjdogtoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #1035
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Mike- How did you add your additional threaded nut? Did I miss that?? Looks really good. We have a set also... but we're not ready to install yet.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cj7 , frame , paint , welding

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.